Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 864495 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #225 on: 09 July, 2010, 11:40:59 am »
A slight purchasing accident the other day means that I now have a Cyo to go with the hub dynamo Butterfly got from ebay for my tourer.  :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #226 on: 09 July, 2010, 11:44:13 am »
Good work - lovely light.

I got a bug in my eye as I was nearing a bike shop, so I bought some £15 Madison Blade glasses. Cheap and cheerful. I had hoped to have blagged some freebies from 3M, but they appear not to have taken the bait.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #227 on: 11 July, 2010, 06:52:06 am »
I bought a Sugino 103mm bottom bracket and, from Tokyobikes, a couple of bells, one of them wooden.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #228 on: 11 July, 2010, 08:48:46 am »
A 135 mm, 17 deg stem so I can play with my position a bit. Sadly, the cable outers are too short, and having just wrapped the bars, ICBA to redo, so the stem will have to wait until I next to the bar tape. TBH, it feels too long/low anyway. I think I want something like a 120mm 25deg stem, but I've never seen one. My 100mm 40 deg stem is great on the drops and hoods with the saddle back, but feels like a dutchbike on the flat, whereas the 130mm stem feels great on the flat, but like I am on a rack on the drops.

« Reply #229 on: 11 July, 2010, 09:36:11 am »
Yesterday I bought a neat BBB chainring bolt tool to help hold the inner side, instead of fumbling about with a screwdriver. 

I also bought some Stronglight bright silver steel chainring bolts to replace the Ultegra alloy ones that are creaking like a goodun' and disrupting my Zen commute.

corshamjim

« Reply #230 on: 11 July, 2010, 11:20:09 am »
I bought a pair of Scott Classic shoes from Evans reduced to only £17.99 - the only size they had left was in my size so I'm really pleased.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #231 on: 12 July, 2010, 11:35:35 am »
Pair of Mavic Aksiums. 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #232 on: 12 July, 2010, 01:04:39 pm »
A brace of Carradice Carradura panniers, to replace my failing antiques.
The carradice website has ones that look different and are cheaper than the ones wiggle list.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #233 on: 12 July, 2010, 06:56:55 pm »
Two 20x1.75" inner tubes for mrs. joglers new bike.
Not cycling specific but bought specificaly for use when cycle-camping touring:a FreeLoader solar battery charger & Superfast solar panel accessory which all came with a multitude of adaptors & cables except the adaptor for my phone ::-) which is available from the manufacturer via mail order :)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #234 on: 12 July, 2010, 06:57:28 pm »
I have spent a rather ridiculous amount of money, on stuff I didn't really need.  Or perhaps I do need it.  

In any event, I felt I had to.   ;D

On my Sequoia, due to a busted 105 shifter, it's got a temporary Sora shifter, but it looks daft, and so really needs a replacement 105 item.  On the Planet X, I've been thinking for some time about getting the new 7900 Dura Ace shifters which are lovely bits of carbon lightness with added titanium bits and has the added advantage of no dangly cables reflecting the Hope lights into my eyes at night (which in fact is very annoying).

So........... I've bought the 7900 set to go on the Planet X, and I can then move the old shifters from that, onto the Sequoia.  So I don't feel quite as bad as I should do, as I can quite legitimately justify it, as otherwise I'd have to buy a single 105 shifter and I'd still be left with the reflecting problem.   :thumbsup:

Technical experts might well point out at this point that I'd need to get a new front dérailleur as well, as the 7900 shifters are only compatible with the 7900 front dérailleur.    And you're right, I've bought one of those.  However, by an amazing coincidence, my current one had cracked due to over enthusiastic shifting.  So that purchase is a necessary one as well.

So really, it was all necessary, and to cap it all, I will have vastly contributed to the continued growth of the UK economy.  8)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #235 on: 12 July, 2010, 07:47:35 pm »
Two Aldi bike hoists.

Oh and on Saturday a Surosa Toledo bike ;D
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

corshamjim

« Reply #236 on: 12 July, 2010, 09:39:59 pm »

Something I love about this topic is half the time I haven't a clue what it is everyone has bought...

... just looked it up - very nice indeed.  I find most bikes too stretched - the Toledo looks very comfortable.

« Reply #237 on: 12 July, 2010, 09:59:53 pm »

Something I love about this topic is half the time I haven't a clue what it is everyone has bought...

... just looked it up - very nice indeed.  I find most bikes too stretched - the Toledo looks very comfortable.

Only taken it out for a couple of setup rides so far but yes it is comfortable - and very nippy.

Surosa* take the time to set you up on a jig to make sure you get the right frame/stem size and as they build each bike themselves are happy to take on board any preferences you have - in my case I asked them not to cut the steerer tube too short as I like a bit of height to the bars . I'm not as flexible as I used to be :(

I'll put some pics up and maybe a review when it's completely sorted.

*They're in Oldham by the way and worth a visit if you're localish and looking for a new bike - so far I'm very impressed.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

simonp

« Reply #238 on: 12 July, 2010, 11:41:02 pm »
A couple of Burley spare parts:

- a QR/nutted axle standard hitch to replace my classic hitch
 - a new flex connector to go with same

one thing I have found about the classic hitch is that it doesn't get on with my Pompino.  My foot keeps hitting the hitch on the way round, it's too close to the pedal.  On a fixed gear bike this is quite bad. :)

I tried ordering from a UK place.

Hi you ordered some burley parts sorry these are out of stock and we have not got a delivery date as yet I will cancel and refund money

Bloody time wasting online retailers.  If you can't be bothered to supply the goods you advertise on the website, why TF do you advertise them on your website?

I've ordered from the USA now.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #239 on: 14 July, 2010, 07:03:53 pm »

Not cycling specific but bought specificaly for use when cycle-camping touring:

particularly the forthcoming C2C.......

two deuter Trek Lite PRO 350 sleeping bags

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #240 on: 14 July, 2010, 09:13:29 pm »
oh, a bell

« Reply #241 on: 14 July, 2010, 09:15:28 pm »
Some Torq gels for my daily Tour de Commute for when I feel low.  They work for me.
3 pairs of Sockguy socks.
Cinelli jel bar padding.
Ritchey Pro blue bar tape.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #242 on: 15 July, 2010, 06:40:22 pm »
A Topeak Road Morph pump for mrs. jogler's bike.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #243 on: 19 July, 2010, 12:57:17 pm »
Cone spanners and ball bearings.
Gear cable outer and ferrules.
Peg Spanner
other little bits

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #244 on: 19 July, 2010, 01:10:40 pm »
Some Torq gels for my daily Tour de Commute for when I feel low. 

Wow, this commuting jazz has serioused up since my day when it was just 'ride with 360-degree vision to avoid getting killed'!

Even my mate is looking for a carbon fibre commuting bike!! :o
Old enough to know better!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #245 on: 19 July, 2010, 01:22:06 pm »
Steve, did you do 25 miles each way in your day? Grub is a different kind of commuter to most of us...

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #246 on: 19 July, 2010, 01:59:07 pm »
I tend to carry a couple of Torq gels for commuting, but I'll probably need one every few weeks when I get hypo.  I find them the fast way of recovering from a hypo, albeit a little more expensive than other solutions.

(I only do 12 miles each way, which is about an hour of travel under London commuting conditions).
Actually, it is rocket science.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #247 on: 19 July, 2010, 04:52:42 pm »
An Ortleib water carrier with a camelbak style hose so I can drink whilst indulging in The Dark Side.

Might also make an acceptably comfortable pillow on tour  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #248 on: 19 July, 2010, 04:55:46 pm »
I just ordered a rack and a couple of spare (presta-valved) tubes for the boys bike.  And apparently his new bottom bracket should arrive tomorrow, and I will, under suitable supervision, be replacing that, brake blocks and possibly all the cables on Thursday evening - I'm paying for it to get a service, but actually going in to do as much of the work as I can with the mechanic watching and laughing at my ineptitude helping me out when I get stuck...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #249 on: 20 July, 2010, 02:01:48 am »
A cheap but hopefully serviceable 26" rear wheel for the tandem was retrieved from the clutches of the evil ParcelFarce earlier today.  This involved entertaining the smokers loitering outside the Selly Oak Hospital outpatients entrance by jumping up and down repeatedly on the enormous box it was shipped in, eventually succeeding in reducing it to pannier-size, and then bungeeing the wheel to the rear rack of my bike for the journey home.   :facepalm:

While I have now obtained everything that should be needed to make it properly ridable, in the interests of Unfinished Business, we will exercise restraint and endeavour not to have any silly tandem-n00b accidents until after the Dun Run.   ::-)

I must say, that water carrier idea seems rather cunning, Charlotte...   ;)