Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 865348 times)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #900 on: 06 April, 2011, 10:13:11 pm »
A new left crank and bottom bracket. To replace the one that fell off.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #901 on: 07 April, 2011, 12:04:41 am »
Ah, so it did damage the spindle, then.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #902 on: 07 April, 2011, 07:25:42 pm »
That is truly self control    ;D

We went to D-Tek and all I got were a set of £5 B-Twin mudguards when we stopped off at Decathlon on the way home.

What   :o , tell us the secret of how you protected your credit cards, locked in a bank vault ... sealed in a nuclear bunker... launched into orbit with the astronauts going to the ISS.  ???
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #903 on: 07 April, 2011, 08:09:42 pm »
Today I ordered yet another set of M520s, as barakta has some shoes in need of cleats and is aiming to have something in need of pedals in the near future...

« Reply #904 on: 08 April, 2011, 09:07:42 am »
I just received some Paul light mounts, a couple of plastic nubs, and a nice little Stein Mini Cassette Tool, for the emergency kit.

It took a while to get hold of this, primarily since Parcel Force left it with a neighbour, but didn't bother with anything silly, like actually telling me. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #905 on: 08 April, 2011, 01:09:47 pm »
Inner tubes ready for tomorrow's 300km Audax. I hope to use none of my spares during the ride.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #906 on: 08 April, 2011, 09:26:05 pm »
Today I ordered yet another set of M520s, as barakta has some shoes in need of cleats and is aiming to have something in need of pedals in the near future...

Hehe, arn't you meant to get the bike before the pedals and cleats?  ;D

gaz2k

« Reply #907 on: 09 April, 2011, 05:33:18 pm »
my first post yippee  :)    hi all

today i bought myself some continental sport contact tyres for my mtb,they look a bit odd on the bike being so slim but are much faster

only using them during the summer,then back on with the continental travel contacts for the extra grip.

other latest purchase this week was some new headset bearings,for a cool £2.50  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #908 on: 09 April, 2011, 05:38:40 pm »
Hehe, arn't you meant to get the bike before the pedals and cleats?  ;D

Nahh, that's the frustrating way round.  And we do have a tandem...

« Reply #909 on: 09 April, 2011, 05:40:56 pm »
Hi gaz2k, welcome :)

We obtained an IQ Cyo for the tandem :D. And some other stuff, which clarion will probably list later ;D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

corshamjim

« Reply #910 on: 09 April, 2011, 06:26:42 pm »
Hi gaz2k - hope you enjoy it here.

I was fortunate to get a little tax rebate today, so I treated myself to some new bits & bobs including a Minoura workstand.  I've been thinking of getting one for ages mainly to make cleaning the bikes easier.

« Reply #911 on: 10 April, 2011, 10:59:32 am »
today i bought myself some continental sport contact tyres for my mtb,they look a bit odd on the bike being so slim but are much faster

only using them during the summer,then back on with the continental travel contacts for the extra grip.

You mean the 32-559 Sport Contacts? I have a pair that's free to a good home, but they're in the Netherlands.
I used them for less than 100km (because I reckon they're about as slow as Marathon Pluses).
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #912 on: 10 April, 2011, 11:53:31 am »
LBS old stock de Marchi shorts for a tenner a throw, clearance. Win!

New chain, win!

Need to go back for a new cassette now...  >:(
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #913 on: 11 April, 2011, 11:57:57 am »
Had a look at the lad's Luath yesterday as the indexing was rubbish. Turned out the rear mech (a disappointingly low end Altus) has a huge amount of play about the pivot bolt, so an online shopping spree was in order.

It's been a while since I bought a Shimano rear mech. HFM?  :o

There also seems to be a distinct lack of mid-range Deore or LX level components around. Still, managed to pick up an SLX from Merlin at a not too painful £33. The LX on my MTB only cost £23, I'm sure the XT on my audax bike was only about £30.

« Reply #914 on: 11 April, 2011, 12:13:31 pm »
I ordered 2 Pro bike stands to use when cleaning bikes and in the study where my 2 best bikes live. I already know my Sabbath looks good on Tewdric's stand  ;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #915 on: 11 April, 2011, 12:49:35 pm »

There also seems to be a distinct lack of mid-range Deore or LX level components around. Still, managed to pick up an SLX from Merlin at a not too painful £33. The LX on my MTB only cost £23, I'm sure the XT on my audax bike was only about £30.

SLX is LX, rebranded for the hybrid market
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #916 on: 11 April, 2011, 01:24:17 pm »
At Wiggle, LX or SLX are both pushing £50, they don't have any standard Deore stuff. CRC are £35 for standard Deore (not that there is anything wrong with Deore, I just expected it to be around £25). Getting old and complaining about how much cheaper things were when ah were a lad I guess :(

« Reply #917 on: 12 April, 2011, 01:26:34 pm »
Doesn't milk still cost 6d a pint then  :o

At Wiggle, LX or SLX are both pushing £50, they don't have any standard Deore stuff. CRC are £35 for standard Deore (not that there is anything wrong with Deore, I just expected it to be around £25). Getting old and complaining about how much cheaper things were when ah were a lad I guess :(
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #918 on: 12 April, 2011, 01:29:19 pm »
My pro stands arrived, with a set of park tools tyre levers for one of my bikes that doesn't have any yet and some park tools patches (I have had considerably more success with these repairing tubes than the vulcanising patch kits that seem to go wrong for me somehow).
No Haribo today but there was a small energy gel sample  :thumbsup:

« Reply #919 on: 12 April, 2011, 01:52:26 pm »
Kool stop pads arrived from Spa during lunch. Just the one set, I could have sworn I asked for two, but maybe I was being unsure about the fit.  ???

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #920 on: 12 April, 2011, 02:26:30 pm »
A(nother!) new lh bb cup, some brake pads for the rear disk (all fitted), the brakes tweaked and the front mech adjusted so that she shifts down onto the granny ring a bit more promptly and reliably and will actually will shift up onto the big ring again, and a general checkover pre-FNRttC.  Plus a couple of new spare tubes in a more appropriate size given the somewhat narrower new tyres that I bought a bit back.  £53 all in, including labour.  I don't think that's too shabby at all.

Now I just need to figure out where to fit the rear lights in the absence of the rack (my bike is nekkid!) and work out of I can do something to stop the bike computer stopping working whenever I switch the lights on....

« Reply #921 on: 12 April, 2011, 03:34:07 pm »
A(nother!) new lh bb cup, some brake pads for the rear disk (all fitted), the brakes tweaked and the front mech adjusted so that she shifts down onto the granny ring a bit more promptly and reliably and will actually will shift up onto the big ring again, and a general checkover pre-FNRttC.  Plus a couple of new spare tubes in a more appropriate size given the somewhat narrower new tyres that I bought a bit back.  £53 all in, including labour.  I don't think that's too shabby at all.

Now I just need to figure out where to fit the rear lights in the absence of the rack (my bike is nekkid!) and work out of I can do something to stop the bike computer stopping working whenever I switch the lights on....

if you mount the computer a bit in front of the bars on one of these it seems to stop the interference:

Acor Single Bracket Carbon Bar Extension - AHB2711 - £14.79 | Dotbike

there are cheaper extension brackets but this one is awesomely solid and very light.

Simonb

« Reply #922 on: 12 April, 2011, 03:37:52 pm »
Some Nuun tablets.

Untested as yet, but will be popping some into the water bottle for my 85km (weekly!) commute.

« Reply #923 on: 12 April, 2011, 04:30:37 pm »
Some rather nice Swiss Stop brake pads, into the spares pile, for when I need some replacements on Red.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #924 on: 12 April, 2011, 06:16:04 pm »
2 x BBB aluminium but carbon look bottle cages for the TCR.
A Exposure Flare rear light with the rechargeable batteries / charger.