Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 865382 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #950 on: 28 April, 2011, 06:57:52 pm »
20 16g CO2 cannisters for my new inflator that hasn't arrived yet!

AndyH

« Reply #951 on: 28 April, 2011, 07:27:23 pm »
Kneewarmers.

High Five Zero tablets with added caffeine  :o :o

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #952 on: 28 April, 2011, 07:55:45 pm »
Some handlebar tape and a chain.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

ed_o_brain

« Reply #953 on: 28 April, 2011, 09:06:37 pm »
First bike related purchase in aages.
A Tortect ultralite rack to go on the Kona.

« Reply #954 on: 30 April, 2011, 10:51:08 pm »
Sort of  ::-)
Ribble Cycles delivery of a Lusso SS shirt for Helen and some Lusso Pro-gel shorts for me arrived today.
The SS shirt's colours, IRL, weren't as they appeared on 't Web so she decided to return it.
For various other reasons, we were in the Ribble Cycles area so we called in and got a refund on the shirt.

While we were there, we looked at their show bikes.
The Bianco Sportive got the thumbs up (see here;- Women specific bike geometry. Is it BS ?) so, at some time in the near future, a purchase will be made.

Current thinking is 105 groupset (triple or compact TBD), standard wheels, narrow bars, women's saddle.

Shame that any women's saddle is extra.

« Reply #955 on: 30 April, 2011, 11:10:27 pm »
My mini CO2 inflator gadget arrived today, it is really tiny  ;D

I've resisted the urge to try it out and waste a cannister. From the instructions it looks completely fool proof. The big question is how many cannisters should I pack on a 300, 300 and 600? I don't think I will risk going pumpless.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #956 on: 03 May, 2011, 02:16:44 pm »
The Ortlieb front roller classics I've been threatening to buy whenever my nasty 12 quid Halfords efforts showed signs of becoming unfit for purpose.  A pothole-related pingfuckit moment on the approach to the Shepherds Bush roundabout on Thursday night did the deed.

« Reply #957 on: 03 May, 2011, 02:21:08 pm »
Today, a 32oz bottle of Progold chain lube
New set of helemunt pads
Exposure helemunt mount
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #958 on: 03 May, 2011, 02:32:57 pm »
The big question is how many cannisters should I pack on a 300, 300 and 600? I don't think I will risk going pumpless.

Ah, that's easy:  Subtract the weight of your tyres from the weight of an equivalent pair of Schwalbe Marathons, then divide by the weight of a cartridge.  If your result is negative, add that amount of CAKE as ballast.

A similar formula can be used to calculate which lock to carry for a given bike.

« Reply #959 on: 03 May, 2011, 02:49:37 pm »
I've resisted the urge to try it out and waste a cannister. From the instructions it looks completely fool proof. The big question is how many cannisters should I pack on a 300, 300 and 600? I don't think I will risk going pumpless.

That looks like the same one I've got.

I normally carry a pump, because it's useful for doing things like putting a bit of air into the tube before you try and get it into position inside the tyre.  This may be possible with the inflator, but my suspicion is that it squirts the CO2 in too fast, and I'd risk bursting the inner tube!

I've yet to use more than one CO2 cartridge on a ride, but I normally carry three.  That's partly because I have two of the rubber surrounds (to stop your hand freezing in use), so I sandwich a third cartridge between the two wrapped ones, and they won't clink against each other in the bag!

Before I had an inflator myself, I carried one on the first Martletts ride last year, which was Simon Legg's, and about a dozen cartridges (and 25g cartridges, which are stupidly expensive compared to 16g ones).  We used three or four on that ride, but that was 120 or so people, many with randomly maintained bicycles.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #960 on: 03 May, 2011, 04:18:31 pm »
Got Cyo.

Happy :D
Getting there...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #961 on: 03 May, 2011, 04:24:22 pm »
My last pair of cheap multilense sunglasses broke at the weekend
I lost another pair last week
So I don't have any at the moment

But fortunately, derekscyclesonline. one of my preferred ebay suppliers have an extensive line of cheap sunglasses.  And it is all too easy to click "buy" a couple of times

« Reply #962 on: 03 May, 2011, 04:41:56 pm »
I took a bike to Dr Madgett for surgery, and while I was there, picked up some parts in a retro-stylee for the Dawes.
I'm hoping that as I can't ride, I'll suddenly acquire an enthusiasm for fettling.

It might work.

« Reply #963 on: 03 May, 2011, 08:51:10 pm »

That looks like the same one I've got.

I normally carry a pump, because it's useful for doing things like putting a bit of air into the tube before you try and get it into position inside the tyre.  This may be possible with the inflator, but my suspicion is that it squirts the CO2 in too fast, and I'd risk bursting the inner tube!

I've yet to use more than one CO2 cartridge on a ride, but I normally carry three.  That's partly because I have two of the rubber surrounds (to stop your hand freezing in use), so I sandwich a third cartridge between the two wrapped ones, and they won't clink against each other in the bag!

Before I had an inflator myself, I carried one on the first Martletts ride last year, which was Simon Legg's, and about a dozen cartridges (and 25g cartridges, which are stupidly expensive compared to 16g ones).  We used three or four on that ride, but that was 120 or so people, many with randomly maintained bicycles.

Thanks for data!
I like Kim's forumla too  ;D
I'm thinking I will probably take 2 cartridges on a 300 and 3 on a 400 and 600 or any ride I might want to pump up other people's tyres too. I bought a pack of 20 x 16g cartridges which seem to be about right for obtaining 120psi.

« Reply #964 on: 03 May, 2011, 10:38:43 pm »
The 16g cartridges seem to be able to get my 700×38 tyres on the Kaffenback up to a reasonable pressure (probably near to 100psi).  They can easily get the 700×25 tyres on Red suitably hard.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #965 on: 03 May, 2011, 10:49:33 pm »
A couple of items from the Park Tools repertoire - a TW-1 torque wrench for doing up the bits on my soot bike that require really low torque settings and a FR-6 freewheel remover for removing freewheels from my Langster.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #966 on: 04 May, 2011, 09:31:23 am »
Ordered some wheels.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #967 on: 04 May, 2011, 09:32:49 am »
Nice!!  Tell us some more please?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #968 on: 04 May, 2011, 09:47:10 am »
Ordered a pair of Diadora Aerospeed Comp Road Shoes from Chainreaction, just over half price off at £48 included P&P  :thumbsup: my feet are goning to love me this weekend ;D :smug:
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

« Reply #969 on: 04 May, 2011, 02:22:32 pm »
Rather too much really  :-[

Assos winter glove system from Wiggle at end of line discount'ish prices.
And eBayed for Assos Roubaix & Assos Intermediate jerseys (so now I have 2 of each), plus a climajet gilet. All at less than half new prices.

Just the Assos bib-knickers that I'm still bidding on! That'll be my second pair of those too.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #970 on: 04 May, 2011, 03:19:25 pm »
My Prolink gold and chain Park Tools chain cleaning gizmo arrived.
I am going to clean the chain on my dog walking bike for the first time ever now  ;D
Then I'm going to give the Sabbath's chain a good going over with the Prolink gold to get rid of the old lube, and see if this runs as nice and smoothly as people say it does :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #971 on: 04 May, 2011, 06:10:00 pm »
Do these count?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #972 on: 04 May, 2011, 06:16:30 pm »
I've seen novels with fewer pages ::-)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #973 on: 04 May, 2011, 06:21:24 pm »
Nice!!  Tell us some more please?

Open Pros on 105 hubs, 32 spoke. From Hewitts.

Not special, but they do what I want - they are to replace my nearly worn out ones, which have done 7,000 miles and I don't trust the rims for much longer. They'll do as spares. The wheels are for Audaxing and the occasional cycle camp!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #974 on: 04 May, 2011, 09:40:39 pm »
Do these count?

The photo you were looking for no longer exists  :'(