Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 865291 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #1125 on: 09 June, 2011, 02:58:24 pm »
A Powerpod, basically a solar charger backed by a 3000mAh battery, should be enough to keep the phone going on long-ish trips (when using the GPS) or for overnight rides where the cold seems to make it freak out and discharge in close to 10 seconds flat.

the front rack I ordered yesterday, I have just got an email to say that the black ones are out of stock but they have silver ones in stock.  I can either wait 2 weeks or have the silver.  Silver will do :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #1126 on: 10 June, 2011, 01:03:46 am »
After seven years using Continental Gatorskins I decided I wanted a change. I've  gone off the Gatorskins as the side walls are that odd brown colour and the new Gatorskins have GATORSKINS  in large decals on the side walls in yellow, No yellow on my bikes !!!

So purchased pair of 23mm Panaracer Stradus Sport Tourguard for the audax bike. Ive never used Panaracer before so no idea if there as good as the Conti's ? They should be as they cost me £10 more than the Conti's. Time will tell ! The reason Ive used Gatorskins for so many years is there cheap and a excellant tyre.

Also got myself a new club jersey.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1127 on: 10 June, 2011, 11:20:52 am »
No yellow on my bikes !!!

I have a bike on which that is simply not an option.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1128 on: 10 June, 2011, 11:52:46 am »
N+1!

(Not for me, though - for my son.)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1129 on: 10 June, 2011, 11:58:03 am »
Ah were right abaht that saddle...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1130 on: 10 June, 2011, 12:02:03 pm »
Not so much a razor blade as a skewer.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1131 on: 11 June, 2011, 11:36:32 am »
Not so much a razor blade as a skewer.

Oh, that's how it works!  Needs to angle the saddle up a bit more, then.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1132 on: 14 June, 2011, 01:21:57 pm »
Park master link pliers.   KMC chains are a tad trickier to uncouple than Wippermann Connex, especially with cold fingers.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #1133 on: 14 June, 2011, 01:54:06 pm »
Up to Decathlon and bought 4 pairs of white socks for £5.98.  Tested one pair today for 30 miles ... they work!! :smug:
Old enough to know better!

« Reply #1134 on: 14 June, 2011, 04:15:34 pm »
CRC parcel arrived with my new arm warmers. These ones are much smaller than my one-size DHB ones that will no longer stay up. I will be seen coming in these ones too!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1135 on: 14 June, 2011, 04:17:36 pm »
Hah!  Try SMIDSYing that!
Getting there...

« Reply #1136 on: 14 June, 2011, 04:18:43 pm »

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1137 on: 16 June, 2011, 02:24:41 am »
That'll ward off Dorisses.

LindaG

« Reply #1138 on: 16 June, 2011, 11:12:37 am »
That'll ward off Dorisses.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Gorgeous armwarmers Feline, are you a cheshire cat by any chance? 

« Reply #1139 on: 16 June, 2011, 11:27:52 am »
A new saddle from Wiggle.
I've decided that the Selle Max Gel Flow on the light bike doesn't suit me whereas the cheap one on the MTB does.
So I ordered the one that was most like it, a Fizik Arione CX. For good measure, I also ordered the light that clips onto it.
And some arm-warmers.

Coming soon to "Classifieds", a barely used Selle Max.
Actually, make that a "little" used Selle Max  ;)

« Reply #1140 on: 16 June, 2011, 01:56:07 pm »
CRC parcel arrived with my new arm warmers. These ones are much smaller than my one-size DHB ones that will no longer stay up. I will be seen coming in these ones too!

You have to wear those to the pub meet.  8)

« Reply #1141 on: 16 June, 2011, 09:22:02 pm »
Put an order in for some panniers for the commuter, suppose I should order a rack to put them on, but how do you choose a rack?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1142 on: 16 June, 2011, 09:35:41 pm »
Put an order in for some panniers for the commuter, suppose I should order a rack to put them on, but how do you choose a rack?

Desirable features:

Weight rating.
Separate rails for panniers and rack-bag.
Light mounting bracket, preferably recessed with a rail to protect light from being bashed.
Solid plate to do the work of absent mudguard.
Disc brake clearance.
Decent dog-leg to stop pannier flapping about.
Rail diameter and invalid hook positions compatible with racks/panniers you already have.
Something you can hook a strap/bungee under/through at the bottom end.
Magic clip for magic-clip-compatible rack-bag.
Lightweight.
Sensible colour.
Cost.

Work out what matters, and start eliminating.

« Reply #1143 on: 16 June, 2011, 09:49:20 pm »

Desirable features:

Weight rating.
As light as possible, can't believe how heavy my borrowed one has made my bike feel!

Separate rails for panniers and rack-bag.
Don't think that's needed as just using it commuting

Light mounting bracket, preferably recessed with a rail to protect light from being bashed.
Like the idea of that!

Solid plate to do the work of absent mudguard.
Mudguard still there

Disc brake clearance.

Nope

Not sure what that means, I've been borrowing a rack and ortleib panniers (which is what I am ordering) seem easy to use.

Rail diameter and invalid hook positions compatible with racks/panniers you already have.

Help!

????

Magic clip for magic-clip-compatible rack-bag.

Think I can skip this

Lightweight.
As light as possible!

Sensible colour.
Black please!

Cost.
An issue, but depending on make can get at trade through work.

I need a lot of help!

« Reply #1144 on: 16 June, 2011, 09:54:43 pm »
Get Carradice Super C, they are awesome  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1145 on: 16 June, 2011, 10:12:05 pm »
Weight rating.
As light as possible, can't believe how heavy my borrowed one has made my bike feel!

I meant in terms of how much weight it can carry.  Most are good for 20+kg, though, which is plenty for touring, but might be an issue for very heavy shopping.

Not sure what that means, I've been borrowing a rack and ortleib panniers (which is what I am ordering) seem easy to use.

Basically, how wide the rack is at the bottom.  Not really an issue with Ortliebs, as they have a nice rigid plastic structure to them, but floppier fabric panniers may benefit from something to keep them away from the wheel.

Help!

The diameter of the rails doesn't matter in terms of performance, but many panniers have hooks that work better (more secure, or just less rattly) with some diameters than others.  Ortliebs come with plastic inserts for the hooks to adjust for this, so will hook securely to pretty much anything.  If you have racks on other bikes you want the diameters to match, though, as removing and re-fitting the inserts is a complete bastard of a job.

As for hook positions, if the rack rail has struts welded to it, forming a 'T', the pannier cannot hook over that particular bit of the rail.  Most panniers allow their hooks to be moved about horizontally to adjust around them (The fittings used on Ortliebs are particularly good at this), so again it becomes mostly an issue if you want things to be easily interchangeable with other racks/panniers you might have.

????

Usually a loop or a inverted-V-shaped bit - just somewhere obvious low down that you can hook a bungee cord on to.  Not something I make a great deal of use of, except when using a set of cheapo panniers that need something to attach a strap to at the bottom end to stop them flapping about (Ortliebs have a hook that goes behind one of the rack's vertical struts for this).  Some people like to use bungee cord to hold things to the top of the rack, and you can get sets of multiple-bungees-on-one-set-of-hooks for the purpose that hook to something low down.  (I tend to only bungee things across the top of panniers, so hook them to the front and back of the rack.)

« Reply #1146 on: 17 June, 2011, 02:24:21 am »
Barbara has Ortliebs (the large ones) I have Vaude, absolutely cavernous with the same roll top/waterproofness of the Orts with the added advantage of a welded on side pocket.
      Rack is the Tortec Expedition, excellent rack but is a couple of cm taller than our other racks, annoying on a low trike.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #1147 on: 17 June, 2011, 07:29:49 am »
Thanks folks sounds like it doesn't matter too much which rack I get. 25kg sounds plenty, I might shop with them sometimes but I'm only getting small panniers to stop me carrying too much anyway!

Found Tortec in one of the work catelogues, so an ultralight one (which is still 580g) on order.

« Reply #1148 on: 17 June, 2011, 02:04:46 pm »
My train of thought FWIW is that although my rack is rated for 35Kg, and I will probably, (hopefully). never need to carry that much, when stuff is being bounced around on our ever so smooth road surfaces the strain of weight moving will effectively increase weight strain on said rack.
     I know what I mean anyway
                                                          :)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #1149 on: 18 June, 2011, 04:25:02 pm »
Rain jacket that complies with EN1150 (so good for night riding in France).
Mavic Vision H2O jacket - a set on Flickr
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...