Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 841843 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #6150 on: 26 July, 2021, 10:07:34 pm »
Workflow used as a verb  :hand:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6151 on: 03 August, 2021, 10:07:49 am »
Two words or phrases I rather like in here: https://www.bristol247.com/culture/music/paraorchestra-to-parade-through-streets-of-knowle-west/
Residents will be invited out to their doorsteps to dance and sing along to the parade in what the organisers hope will be a massive community singalong – a “masseoke”.
In a way a silly word, but it made me smile and I like the process of taking a word from another language then playing with it in your own.

“We have really lucked in with this opportunity to share the first outing of SMOOSH! with the community at Knowle West.
I've generally heard "lucked out" in this meaning but "lucked in" is a better fit, to my mind. If you've lucked in, you're in luck. Whereas if you've lucked out, you're also in luck although the juxtaposition implies you should be out of luck.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6152 on: 03 August, 2021, 01:09:08 pm »
Yes.  See also the USAnian habit of 'filling out' forms, which is becoming more prevalent over here.  [Possibly because the form designers don't give you enough space to write in - Ed]

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6153 on: 03 August, 2021, 01:13:40 pm »
I also understand some of the youngper sons and daughters are using "I'm down for that" to express agreement to a proposed activity, whereas I'd use "I'm up for that". Except of course, being an oldper son, I'm probably not upfrit (does this mean frightened? Ed.) unless it's a cup of tea and maybe a cheese and onion toasty.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6154 on: 03 August, 2021, 01:19:44 pm »
Wonder if that's related to the fascinating leftpondian convention of using down arrows to mean straight on on road signs, rather than the up-arrows we use.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6155 on: 03 August, 2021, 01:25:15 pm »
I'm evidently not familiar with Usanian road signs but "down the road" or "up the road" to mean straight on? I'm not sure which, if either, of these is UK v US. Or indeed old v young. I don't think they're regional either, at least not distinctly so. Maybe just a matter of personal perspective, either mental or visual.

« Reply #6156 on: 04 August, 2021, 08:08:50 pm »
Wonder if that's related to the fascinating leftpondian convention of using down arrows to me[an] [?] straight on on road signs, rather than the up-arrows we use.

I think the sign making over here is driven, at least for USAnians and (possibly by osmosis across the border) those north of us in Canuckistan by the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, "MUTCD". 

I think the idea is to point out which lane to be in, versus where to go to get to the destination.  It's a small distinction, but given the limited training and skills of many motor vehicle operators here, every little bit helps.  Or, could help.

Or, downers versus uppers, choose your pill.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6157 on: 04 August, 2021, 08:49:55 pm »
Wonder if that's related to the fascinating leftpondian convention of using down arrows to me[an] [?] straight on on road signs, rather than the up-arrows we use.

I think the sign making over here is driven, at least for USAnians and (possibly by osmosis across the border) those north of us in Canuckistan by the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, "MUTCD". 

I think the idea is to point out which lane to be in, versus where to go to get to the destination.  It's a small distinction, but given the limited training and skills of many motor vehicle operators here, every little bit helps.  Or, could help.

Or, downers versus uppers, choose your pill.

Hold on, I'll ask Alice…

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #6158 on: 09 August, 2021, 10:58:41 am »
“Screenshotted”!

My own son  :facepalm:

Led to a discussion about nouns and verbs. But the best bit was when I asked him to have another go. In all seriousness, he ventured “screenshat?”

Which, actually, could become a thing.

A little while later I was driving when a bird crapped on the windscreen. “Now that’s a screenshat!” said I, hilariously.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6159 on: 09 August, 2021, 12:57:41 pm »
I shat the sheriff could be perfectly acceptable in some USAnian accents.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6160 on: 09 August, 2021, 01:13:24 pm »
Screenshit v. tr. To share an image on social media by uploading a screenshot of it being displayed on your device, complete with browser chrome, status bars, mouse pointers, etc.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6161 on: 09 August, 2021, 01:18:11 pm »
tr. and intr. surely? "He's always screenshitting. Yesterday he screenshat some tweets, today he's been screenshitting from Instagram."

« Reply #6162 on: 09 August, 2021, 01:37:11 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6163 on: 09 August, 2021, 02:06:53 pm »
tr. and intr. surely? "He's always screenshitting. Yesterday he screenshat some tweets, today he's been screenshitting from Instagram."

GPWM.

Now all we need is the equivalent term for sharing video by recording it being displayed on the screen of another device.  (Bonus points for shaky handheld camera, oblique angles, reflections and aspect ratio mismatch.)

I propose 'moirécasting'.

« Reply #6164 on: 09 August, 2021, 03:16:11 pm »

GPWM.

Now all we need is the equivalent term for sharing video by recording it being displayed on the screen of another device.  (Bonus points for shaky handheld camera, oblique angles, reflections and aspect ratio mismatch.)

I propose 'moirécasting'.

But that should be caveated with the fact that for some content, that's *exactly* the right level of effort that the content deserves.

Without wishing to denigrate the words of wisdom uttered by my brother some weeks ago when he was vox-popped on the streets of Edinburgh about Scotland's chances in the Euros, a WhatsApp message with a phone video of him on the telly is an appropriate level of effort, and can easily be forwarded to minimally interested friends and relatives.

Attempting to persuade STV to let us have a copy of the clip - their news bulletins vanish from the STV Hub less than 24 hours after broadcast, so in this case before I knew he'd been on - would have been quite disproportionate, and probably doomed to failure.

(In the spirit of the thread, of course, I should note that 'vox-popped' is a bit of an abomination.)

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6165 on: 09 August, 2021, 05:02:02 pm »
I don't much care for 'caveated' either.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6166 on: 09 August, 2021, 05:25:04 pm »
IRTA 'cavitated'

« Reply #6167 on: 10 August, 2021, 01:43:10 pm »
I don't much care for 'caveated' either.

Fair point - I verbed that noun without really thinking about it.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6168 on: 10 August, 2021, 02:00:55 pm »
Just as a verb that has been nouned is a gerund, so we ought to have a name for a noun that has been verbed. Or maybe we've already got one – it's a verb.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6169 on: 10 August, 2021, 03:04:03 pm »
It gets worse when you consider that caveat is a verb anyway, albeit in Latin.  Could also be a Stone-Age refectory.

ian

« Reply #6170 on: 10 August, 2021, 09:56:09 pm »
I like caveated, so I'm running with it.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6171 on: 10 August, 2021, 10:22:25 pm »
When I used to avoid work in the office rather than avoiding it from home there was a small team sat not far from me whose job appeared to be loudly advising people to caveat things. Just about every single phone call they had (and there were many) involved caveating. That was after they'd spent the first hour of the morning shouting at each other about Bake Off, obv.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6172 on: 11 August, 2021, 08:46:59 am »
I like caveated, so I'm running with it.

It's where Cav gets his sprinting mojo after all.  ::-)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #6173 on: 11 August, 2021, 11:06:22 am »
It gets worse when you consider that caveat is a verb anyway, albeit in Latin.  Could also be a Stone-Age refectory.

Quite. It's using caveat as a noun which makes me cringe. 3rd person singular subjunctive of cavere (jussive subjunctive in this case), 'to be wary of'. As in 'cave canem nocte'  the family motto of the Baskervilles*, or 'cave' as public school slang, or 'caveat emptor'.

* the fictional Baskervilles in the 1959 film with Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee etc, not any real Baskervilles.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6174 on: 11 August, 2021, 01:24:57 pm »
'caveat emptor'

I presume that's where the current use of caveat as a noun stems from. This is a common side effect of popular set phrases where some or all of the constituent parts are uncommon and/or foreign words. Something gets lost in translation.

'Treasure trove' is another example - 'trove' being an adjective, not a noun (though the original meaning has long since been abandoned as a lost cause).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."