Author Topic: TV dramas 'misrepresent the NHS'  (Read 2106 times)

TV dramas 'misrepresent the NHS'
« on: 18 November, 2009, 08:58:57 pm »
Link

Following discussions about cyclists and the press representation, I came across this one.... any comments?

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
Re: TV dramas 'misrepresent the NHS'
« Reply #1 on: 18 November, 2009, 09:11:42 pm »
Any drama will mis-represent the real life thing it is trying to represent.

I'm sure there are not many schools that are like Waterloo Road in real life - the whole point of drama is that it is a realistic as possible surely, but fictional?

Jakob

« Reply #2 on: 19 November, 2009, 12:19:48 am »
The whole point of drama is that it is a realistic as possible surely, but fictional?

The whole point of a drama is to entertain.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 19 November, 2009, 12:26:47 am »
The whole point of a drama is to have Tristan to say "we need a little beep when a key is pressed to make it more realistic".

We refused Casualty when they wanted to film at my building. I told them we wouldn't agree without a script. The script had a sensational plot line that was as likely as badgers playing croquet and they were unwilling to alter it, so we said no.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 19 November, 2009, 12:35:40 am »
what comment do you want?

Rapples

« Reply #5 on: 19 November, 2009, 01:54:01 am »
Medical procedures must be researched for accuracy, so why can't Holby City and Casualty reflect the work and practices of a 'real' hospital instead of what is a very blurred reality?

Because that would be called a documentary wouldn't it?

Oh, and yes we really do need to see more hand washing on TV. It's rivetting stuff

FWIW, I've spent a little time in hospitals this year, and although I've seen lots of hand washing stations, I've never seen any member of staff use one ;)

« Reply #6 on: 19 November, 2009, 06:42:14 am »

The majority of work in a hospital is mind-numbingly boring unless your involved. Hence would be poor TV. It is only by dramatising it that it becomes watchable.

Remember hospital watch??  talking to the human interest stories, spinning them out to make it seem exciting. And then any procedure seemed to be just a sea of theatre greens.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 19 November, 2009, 09:36:25 am »
Fiction Not True Shock.

Later: Paint Drying - The Terrible Truth.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 19 November, 2009, 10:07:10 am »
Dang!  And i only joined the NHS to shag Patsy Kensit! :(
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 19 November, 2009, 10:31:24 am »
(Tolchocks gulliver repeatedly against desk in the vain hope that the Stupids will commit suicide before the world ends in 2012)

Are you, Mr Sumara, the sort of person who sends hate mail to actors because they portray a dislikeable oik on the television?  Do you believe that someone, somewhere, really did shoot JR, and should be sent to prison for it?  Do you actually think that all Catholic priests are like Father Jack?

It's made up, dolt.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #10 on: 19 November, 2009, 10:37:06 am »
A recent spell in hospital lead me to believe that nurses do not look like Patsie Kensit all my illusions shattered. ::-) ::-)

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #11 on: 19 November, 2009, 10:39:02 am »
(Tolchocks gulliver repeatedly against desk in the vain hope that the Stupids will commit suicide before the world ends in 2012)

Are you, Mr Sumara, the sort of person who sends hate mail to actors because they portray a dislikeable oik on the television?  Do you believe that someone, somewhere, really did shoot JR, and should be sent to prison for it?  Do you actually think that all Catholic priests are like Father Jack?

It's made up/, dolt.

Nadsat ,excellent.  :thumbsup:

Really Ancien

« Reply #12 on: 19 November, 2009, 11:14:13 am »
We tend to communicate the nature of organisations best through satire. We have a strong tradition of workplace comedies in British TV, most of the best shows are about jobs. I like the ones which make some attempt to break through the fourth wall, 'People like us' is my all time favourite. The intro of the one about pilots is a gem. The ideas are more densely handled in satire where character development is less of an issue. I'd never watch Casualty, but I will watch Green Wing.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1SwECTyXaA4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/1SwECTyXaA4&rel=1</a>

Damon.

Really Ancien

« Reply #13 on: 19 November, 2009, 11:25:24 am »
'Getting On' was the most recent NHS satire. Armando Ianucci was involved, very good cast.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bvnQW9vxiBc&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/bvnQW9vxiBc&rel=1</a>

Damon.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 19 November, 2009, 11:35:44 am »
Do you actually think that all Catholic priests are like Father Jack?

That would be ridiculous.  Some are like Father Ted, while the rest are like Father Aidan, obv.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 19 November, 2009, 11:37:18 am »
btw, Green Winhg was a far more accurate representation of Hospital life than Casualty, IME.
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16 on: 19 November, 2009, 03:01:20 pm »
Do you actually think that all Catholic priests are like Father Jack?

That would be an ecumenical matter.  Some are like Father Ted, while the rest are like Father Aidan, obv.

And Noel Furlong, and Larry Duff, and this lot.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #17 on: 19 November, 2009, 06:38:34 pm »
Anyone remember Emergency Ward 10?
It came as a shock to me to find that the NHS wasn't black and white  :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated