Author Topic: What are you drinking right now?  (Read 313948 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: What are you drinking right now?
« Reply #2625 on: 02 June, 2021, 09:56:16 pm »
On a school night too, tut. ;)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #2626 on: 05 June, 2021, 08:58:05 pm »
I was so thirsty when I got home from a day cycling that I drank an entire litre of beer in one go because it was the coldest, wettest thing in the fridge.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2627 on: 05 June, 2021, 09:02:38 pm »
Without drawing breath? That's awesome!
I've done a pint of squash, mind. Impresses the lads...

ian

« Reply #2628 on: 05 June, 2021, 09:21:57 pm »
It just kept going down. That said, I was seeing how long I could go without drinking. 1.5 km short of nice and round 100, drat. Then I drank another 330 ml bottle of Purdey's 'elixir' also in a single go.

At least it wasn't the 8% IPA or I'd be having a lie down (a 3.7% pale, cask so not too fizzy).

I'll be in trouble later when my wife asks hey where did that... especially as she went to the pub to buy it. She's attending the American Society for Clinical Oncology in virtual Chicago (her office upstairs) at the moment. I think she's missing the real Chicago. I'm going out in the garden later to shoot things, south-side style, for authenticity. Then I'm going to pretend to be a police cruiser. Whoop whoop woo woo.

The best whoopers are still the NYPD. Admittedly they occasionally damped my enthusiasm by giving me a ticket.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #2629 on: 07 June, 2021, 10:04:50 am »
I opened a bottle of this last night. 

Its from the Auchentoshan distillery and with about 50% water added was absolutely tremendous.

So it should be at that price (though in fairness its priced just above the branded multi cask 18 YO). 

My palate is definitely gravitating towards gentler Lowland/Speyside/Highland whiskies these days - mirroring my beer preference for a pale ale v. IPA perhaps. 

https://smws.com/a-dream-of-a-dram/

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2630 on: 13 June, 2021, 05:07:15 pm »
Just stuck a bottle of red in the fridge!

« Reply #2631 on: 13 June, 2021, 05:24:40 pm »
I’ve been offered lightly chilled red in backstreet Paris bistros... to accompany very decent food.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2632 on: 13 June, 2021, 09:38:41 pm »
With a tin of beans and some cheese and onion crisps is not the same ;)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2633 on: 14 June, 2021, 11:58:31 am »
Some reds are, frankly, better chilled. Mostly the cheaper ones.

I'm currently on the home-made ginger and lemon cordial. No added sugar, and no booze in it either, so all very virtuous, but it does have quite a powerful kick none the less. I used a *lot* of ginger.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #2634 on: 14 June, 2021, 01:09:55 pm »
Nate, Canadian Weather Superstar, advises cooling your wine with frozen grapes.

« Reply #2635 on: 14 June, 2021, 01:20:05 pm »
Not had it yet, but looking forward to a gifted Barons de Rothchild Lafite Malbec.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2636 on: 14 June, 2021, 07:37:39 pm »

I'm currently on the home-made ginger and lemon cordial. No added sugar, and no booze in it either, so all very virtuous, but it does have quite a powerful kick none the less. I used a *lot* of ginger
Have you got a recipe for that?

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2637 on: 14 June, 2021, 09:13:32 pm »
Two Tinkers Saison and Anzac tonight.  Really enjoying Tim's brews and making sure I stock up as often as possible from each of their outlets.  Great to have a good brewery local.  Very local and very good :-)  They started up in lockdown 1 and I've not had a bad can yet, there has been much double, triple, quadruple etc checking.  So far I've not managed to snag a mild, double or a triple - roll on winter.  I shall be having words with the landlord of my local next time I'm in.  Surely he has space for a corny to support the local economy?

Even more local is The Forest Brewery at Hang Hill.  Brythonic brewery moved here, I think from Bristol, recently. First impression there is they need more time to settle into their new premises.  The bottles I've tried have been frankly crap ranging from massively over gassed which lifted all the sediment and went everywhere (ending at the compost heap once safe to remove from the kitchen sink) to merely yeasty / bad homebrewey.  The cans of mashup were passable.   
I'll not give in, 4 bottles and 2 cans is not a fair test by far.  I shall venture to the Rising Sun tomorrow where if I'm in time they have some on tap.  There's some lovely looking darks on their faecbook. Crappety crappety poo bums I'm back at work before their appearance at the English Bicknor summer fayre.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2638 on: 14 June, 2021, 09:15:05 pm »

Well, kind of…

First time I made it I improvised with what I had in the fridge, and liked the results, so I’ve subsequently tried to refine it into a recipe by measuring the quantities. Latest batch was:
250g fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped/grated - I’ve been upping the ginger quantity each time, this is *very* gingery
1 large lemon, zest and juice thereof

Put the ginger and lemon zest in a pan with 800ml cold water, put lid on pan, bring to boil then simmer gently for 25 minutes. Take off heat and leave to cool, which will take an hour or so (keep the lid on the pan throughout to prevent losing too much to evaporation). When it’s cool, stir in the lemon juice. Then strain into a bottle - I have some 750ml flip-top bottles and this makes enough to fill one bottle. Keep it in the fridge - it doesn’t have a long shelf life, but it might not last long enough for that to be a problem anyway.

I think it’s very much one of those suck it and see recipes - adjust quantities as you see fit. I’ve also tried it with two lemons but felt it was too lemony for my liking. YMMV. Serve diluted to taste (just don’t drink it neat unless you want to burn your throat). I don’t make it with sugar in deference to my wife but if you want a bit of sweetness, dilute it with apple juice (the cheap shit made from concentrate is fine for this) - a mix of apple juice and fizzy water, plus a squeeze of lime juice, is my favourite combo.

I was also thinking of trying it with mint - maybe throw in a bunch of mint leaves to steep when you take it off the heat. The possibilities are endless!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2639 on: 14 June, 2021, 09:20:22 pm »
Mmm sounds good :P

« Reply #2640 on: 15 July, 2021, 10:27:37 pm »
I consumed a pub served lager yesterday for the first time in years, this due to being mid ride and feeling a tad hot. It was a very cold and delicous Fosters. Most surprised how good it tasted.

« Reply #2641 on: 16 July, 2021, 08:02:53 am »
Twinings English Breakfast. Always a good start to a day.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #2642 on: 29 July, 2021, 01:50:38 pm »

But not exclusively. I'd recommend Chinon chilled, every time .

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2643 on: 29 July, 2021, 03:21:47 pm »
Twinings Ceylon. Halfway cold, since the bloke who delivers our winter wood turned up and I had to go out & hello him.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2644 on: 01 August, 2021, 06:10:26 pm »

Well, kind of…

First time I made it I improvised with what I had in the fridge, and liked the results, so I’ve subsequently tried to refine it into a recipe by measuring the quantities. Latest batch was:
250g fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped/grated - I’ve been upping the ginger quantity each time, this is *very* gingery

Put the ginger and lemon zest in a pan with 800ml cold water, put lid on pan, bring to boil then simmer gently for 25 minutes. Take off heat and leave to cool, which will take an hour or so (keep the lid on the pan throughout to prevent losing too much to evaporation). When it’s cool, stir in the lemon juice. Then strain into a bottle - I have some 750ml flip-top bottles and this makes enough to fill one bottle. Keep it in the fridge - it doesn’t have a long shelf life, but it might not last long enough for that to be a problem anyway.

I think it’s very much one of those suck it and see recipes - adjust quantities as you see fit. I’ve also tried it with two lemons but felt it was too lemony for my liking. YMMV. Serve diluted to taste (just don’t drink it neat unless you want to burn your throat). I don’t make it with sugar in deference to my wife but if you want a bit of sweetness, dilute it with apple juice (the cheap shit made from concentrate is fine for this) - a mix of apple juice and fizzy water, plus a squeeze of lime juice, is my favourite combo.

I was also thinking of trying it with mint - maybe throw in a bunch of mint leaves to steep when you take it off the heat. The possibilities are endless!
I've just made a litre of this, including a bunch of mint leaves.
Methinks it might go well with tonic water.
I shall report back once it has cooled/been strained.

« Reply #2645 on: 02 August, 2021, 05:49:42 am »

Well, kind of…

I've just made a litre of this, including a bunch of mint leaves.
Methinks it might go well with tonic water.
I shall report back once it has cooled/been strained.

Well, that works well as a 3am thirst quencher.
25% / 75% Mix ratio with water.
Refreshingly minty with a subtle afterburn of citrusy ginger.
I'll stop now before I go full Jilly Goolden.

« Reply #2646 on: 02 August, 2021, 07:33:32 pm »
I've OD'd on 8% unfined hazy DIPAs from Vocation. I never thought this would happen.  :'(

Also gone off whisky almost completely.  :o

White wine tasting really good though, particularly sauvignon blanc from the village winery  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2647 on: 03 August, 2021, 04:14:29 pm »
Last night, a very poor Douro.

ian

« Reply #2648 on: 06 August, 2021, 09:23:46 pm »
I looked in the fridge earlier. There are twelve pints of beer in there. It sounded nice, says she. It's a good job I'm thirsty. It might last till tomorrow night, I suppose.

(thanks to Bullfinch, in that Herney Hill, and the Radius Arms in Whyteleafe.)

« Reply #2649 on: 14 August, 2021, 11:20:28 pm »
South African brandy.  Van Rijn 10 year old.  Only 38% but nice & smooth.  I had a few bottles of this from M&S a couple of years ago, but they never kept it on.  Amazon have it for £22.   Not cooking brandy, easy drinking.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark