Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3007210 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #27350 on: 05 September, 2021, 08:05:53 am »
Why do youngsters hold their phone in front of them while using the speakers when they make a telephone call. It seems daft at the best of times but to do so while surrounded by your mates and other sundry pub customers seems stupid.

Practising for their future careers in professional tray-carrying?  Test their skills by setting a cup of coffee on top.

BTW, last night I had a great idea that's sure to lose a lot of money: iron-on tattoos.  Slap it on your arm, run a hot iron over it and Bob's your carbuncle.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #27351 on: 05 September, 2021, 08:54:09 am »

BTW, last night I had a great idea that's sure to lose a lot of money: iron-on tattoos.  Slap it on your arm, run a hot iron over it and Bob's your carbuncle.

These were actually a thing when I was a kid.  Called them 'Transfers' .
You laid them on the surface of a saucer of water until wet through, then slapped them on your arm, or wherever,  and carefully peeled off the backing paper.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27352 on: 05 September, 2021, 09:04:36 am »

You laid them on the surface of a saucer of water until wet through, then slapped them on your arm, or wherever,  and carefully peeled off the backing paper.
i believe there are a number of temporary tattoo technologies around, but I think the iron on approach is unlikely to become the next hot thing in temporary tattoo technology.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27353 on: 05 September, 2021, 09:19:53 am »
Why do youngsters hold their phone in front of them while using the speakers when they make a telephone call. It seems daft at the best of times but to do so while surrounded by your mates and other sundry pub customers seems stupid.

Practising for their future careers in professional tray-carrying?  Test their skills by setting a cup of coffee on top.

The Apprentice, I’d imagine. Contestants running around talking to the other half of the team and needing their part of the team (and the camera) hear what was going on.
It is simpler than it looks.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #27354 on: 05 September, 2021, 09:50:36 am »

i believe there are a number of temporary tattoo technologies around, but I think the iron on approach is unlikely to become the next hot thing in temporary tattoo technology.

Yes there is, I got an add for one the other day. Send in your design, they send things to stick on your arm. Didn't click but it look like single colour only. Where the ones I got with chewing gum back in 70/80s had colour.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #27355 on: 05 September, 2021, 10:40:13 am »

Our kids had those too, but my idea sorts out the men from the goats.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27356 on: 05 September, 2021, 02:42:05 pm »

T42's scheme would flatten the competition.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27357 on: 05 September, 2021, 03:07:50 pm »

I could easily get board with this thread if we don’t keep things smooth.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #27358 on: 05 September, 2021, 04:34:49 pm »

That T42; he really creases me up.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27359 on: 05 September, 2021, 07:37:58 pm »

That T42; he really creases me up.
To get to the point, this is a burning topic.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #27360 on: 05 September, 2021, 07:55:53 pm »
I strongly suspect that T42 was being ironical...
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27361 on: 05 September, 2021, 07:56:49 pm »
One way to let off steam, I suppose.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27362 on: 05 September, 2021, 09:00:31 pm »
I’m thinking that we should press on and then fold this topic up. 

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #27363 on: 05 September, 2021, 09:42:57 pm »
Yeah, I'm not super on board with it for sure.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #27364 on: 05 September, 2021, 10:34:43 pm »
It didn't crease me up...

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #27365 on: 05 September, 2021, 10:52:57 pm »

I think it's called branding - not a good thing, won't catch on

« Reply #27366 on: 06 September, 2021, 08:23:05 am »

My daughter told me that it is because one of the first faults that happens with iphones is that the top speaker (the one that would be next to your ear) stops working. So you have to put the iphone on speakerphone and shout into the microphone.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #27367 on: 06 September, 2021, 09:34:22 am »
I can't imagine that many iPhone top speakers have gone bust that every single person under the age of 20 does that. Plus the Android types do it. I think it's stylistic, like firing your Glock while holding it sideways.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #27368 on: 06 September, 2021, 10:11:46 am »
I can't imagine that many iPhone top speakers have gone bust that every single person under the age of 20 does that. Plus the Android types do it. I think it's stylistic, like firing your Glock while holding it sideways.

Maybe the Glockenspieler could be persuaded to hold it up to the ear like a phone...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27369 on: 06 September, 2021, 10:23:11 am »
I suspect that part of the problem is that no one under 30 has ever really used a telephone and so considers using a pocket computer like a telephone handset is just alien to them.

« Reply #27370 on: 06 September, 2021, 11:28:59 am »

That raises the question; did this start with a design/manufacturing flaw in iPhones, and become a style?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #27371 on: 06 September, 2021, 11:51:59 am »

My daughter told me that it is because one of the first faults that happens with iphones is that the top speaker (the one that would be next to your ear) stops working. So you have to put the iphone on speakerphone and shout into the microphone.

Never heard of that, and never experienced it - and my family have gone through tens of iPhones. I think it was originally a reaction to scares about brain cancer from phone use, and it became 'a thing'. It's barking. You might as well have a megaphone.

ian

« Reply #27372 on: 06 September, 2021, 12:04:17 pm »
I think TimC's theory is viable, they're trying not to bake their brains by holding it near their ears.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #27373 on: 06 September, 2021, 01:15:07 pm »

It's also a cultural thing.  Around here it's mainly older people from certain ethnic groups that you see doing it.  If it's younger people, it tends to be because they're on a video call or TikToking/Instagraming.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27374 on: 06 September, 2021, 01:22:40 pm »
On a related note, smalls now use flat-hand for pretend telephones rather than the traditional y-hand.

Also reminds me of a time, back in the 1990s, of being on some delayed train or other and observing $businessman_in_his_suit_and_tie lending his cutting-edge Nokia brick to $frail_old_lady, so she could inform whoever was meeting her at the station.  Being familiar with radio telephony, she held its speaker to her mouth in the traditional walkie-talkie style when speaking, but brought it closer to her ear when listening, because it wasn't very loud...