Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3001035 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #27425 on: 21 September, 2021, 12:37:20 pm »
That works, I'm studying the 'stro, bro.
Cool PhD student? Bit of an oxymoron that  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #27426 on: 21 September, 2021, 12:42:37 pm »
It was always known as astro in my uni days.

Mind you, in a physics department the physics part could just be assumed.

« Reply #27427 on: 21 September, 2021, 12:44:33 pm »
Rather appropriately, astrophysics occupied the top floor with the atmospheric physics department just below them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27428 on: 21 September, 2021, 01:04:36 pm »
Rather appropriately, astrophysics occupied the top floor with the atmospheric physics department just below them.

*contemplates an xkcd-style Academic Subjects (by Altitude) graph*

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27429 on: 21 September, 2021, 01:27:15 pm »
Dr Beardy (Mrs) is face to face irl with students today, for the first time in well over a year. It’s only 2nd or third time she’s actually gone in over that same time period. It’s very odd not having her at home.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #27431 on: 21 September, 2021, 02:37:35 pm »

The Bistromathics dept doesn't need a lab - all its work is conducted in the field.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #27432 on: 21 September, 2021, 05:17:02 pm »
Is the tune association thread the only one on here that makes as much sense backwards as forwards?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27433 on: 21 September, 2021, 05:31:12 pm »
Is the tune association thread the only one on here that makes as much sense backwards as forwards?
:D :D :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27434 on: 21 September, 2021, 05:43:47 pm »

I thought you were a Sheffield graduate and the architects had the greatest altitude...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #27435 on: 21 September, 2021, 06:03:12 pm »
My university was too wanky to have a physics department.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #27436 on: 21 September, 2021, 06:52:20 pm »
The presenter on South Today is covering "L'Eroyka Britannia".
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27437 on: 21 September, 2021, 09:20:45 pm »

I thought you were a Sheffield graduate and the architects had the greatest altitude...

I never actually graduated from Sheffield, but I heartily endorse their eat-your-own-dogfood treatment of architects.  My undergrad degree was from UKC, which was boringly horizontal (unless you count the time the Computer Science department tried to disappear into a sinkhole).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27438 on: 22 September, 2021, 10:41:37 am »
My undergrad degree was from UKC, which was boringly horizontal

I don't know when you were last there, but you'd barely recognise the campus as the same place you studied at. Still very horizontal though - the library remains the tallest building.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #27439 on: 22 September, 2021, 01:18:06 pm »
I've been watching a video by Roger Barnes, about small dinghy sailing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqwhUHjeCeE

He had a recent capsize, will all his cruising kit on board.

The only storage bag that didn't leak was a Carradice. The Ortleib bags leaked.  :o
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #27440 on: 22 September, 2021, 02:17:22 pm »

The architects were very much below everyone else at Bath. With a horizontal arrangement, how far you were from bar/library/refectory were the key points.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #27441 on: 22 September, 2021, 02:22:26 pm »
At the University of York, the Physics labs are beneath the Electronic Engineering labs. Which is how it should be!  :-D :-D
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #27442 on: 22 September, 2021, 02:36:29 pm »
My phone was falling to bits and runs a version of Android so ancient that many semi-useful apps (train times, email, covid passports and stuff) don't work on it, so I bought a new one, which I have just taken possession of. As a consequence, I now need other new things: pockets and SIM card. Why do the cards get smaller as the phones get bigger? Is it a vain search for equilibrium?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #27443 on: 22 September, 2021, 04:52:16 pm »
I think it's done so that the phone will stick up out of your pocket and be easier to pinch.  Or maybe pockets are irrelevant to the marketing thesis: it's never intended to leave your hand.  Any day now phones will detect when you put them down and start screaming "Pick me up! Pick me up! Pick me up!", deducting £1 from your account every time you leave them idle for more than 10 minutes.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27444 on: 22 September, 2021, 11:29:53 pm »
The other problem is that ergonomics limit the phone's dimensions to the width of an ISO standard man-hand.  Thinness is a an engineering wankfest that real-world users don't care about (they're going to put it in a protective case anyway, and the 3.5mm headphone jack remains a strong selling point amongst those who haven't drunk the Apple kool-aid).  So they're currently undergoing height inflation at a rate last seen in Second Life avatars.

The end-game is presumably a phone that's 75mm wide, 1.2metres long and approximately 3 molecules thick.  I assume it will come with both Lightsabre and Subtle Knife apps.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27445 on: 23 September, 2021, 08:11:05 am »
Yesterday I received an email entitled “Peter, can we talk about … love?”

It was from Prof. Alice Roberts.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #27446 on: 23 September, 2021, 08:26:06 am »
Thinness is good, up to a certain point. That point being where it fits into the average pocket (trouser pocket, skirt pocket, jacket pocket, bag pocket, and similar – there will as ian points out always be a certain market for the Chatham pocket) and that was passed long ago. Beyond that, thinness makes it harder to handle and, surely, more liable to bending stresses for any given strength of materials?

ian

« Reply #27447 on: 23 September, 2021, 09:31:13 am »
I was a bit grumpy about my latest iPhone XR thing back in the day as it was a lot bigger than the 6 it replaced. I can't say I notice it now. I like that it's thin and light and I can't say the missing headphone socket is much of an issue. I'm still unconvinced about the plus-sized versions though, I've no idea where people put them, they definitely won't be smuggling them into prisons unless they're planning to be filled with a lot more than ambition. I have small hands, just like a girl, though so I'm probably not ISO standard.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27448 on: 23 September, 2021, 09:51:41 am »
Ergonomics wise, I hated my last iPhone, a 6S, because although its overall size was manageable (for my man hands), its rounded edges made it hard to hold, so I kept dropping it. The 12 has gone back to squared edges, which are much more hand-friendly. The 12 Mini is slightly smaller overall than the 6S but has a bigger screen. It suits me just fine.

I don't miss the headphone socket. Wired headphones are a massive pain in the arse, so I'm glad to have had the excuse to treat myself to a wireless set.

ETA: just measured the width of the 12 Mini - 63mm, which should be manageable even if you have girl hands.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #27449 on: 23 September, 2021, 10:26:26 am »
I think the last sensibly sized phone Apple made was the 5 or the 1st series SE - which is the same size as the 5.
It suits my hand and fits into my pocket.

ETA - the iPhone 13 is released tomorrow.