Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3005935 times)

Just having a potter and looking at new helmets on the Halfords site. The vast majority don't appear to have mesh over the front vents (like my current one) for the stopping of bugglies. That seems a bit daft.
Is that DIY-able?

I expect so.

It's just odd because I'm sure (well, vaguely so) that when I bought this one mesh was pretty much ubiquitous. The mostly likely explanation is faulty memory. And no, I've not banged my head helmeted or otherwise!
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
I've been getting a bit of plantar fasciitis due to the amount of walking I'm doing in prep for the Mighty Hike in July.   So I decided to buy myself a fancy foot spa... which has arrived.  Just in time for use after my training hike this evening.   :thumbsup:

Pilgrimage isn't it ?  You might be interested in this.  https://twitter.com/OU_FASS/status/1402279791286444039?s=20   &   https://www.britishmuseum.org/events/pilgrimage-and-its-enduring-power

I’m training for a Mighty Hike (basically a walking marathon) in aid of Macmillan at the end of July. 

Thanks for the links 👍 - I’ll take a look.

Unfortunately, I've been struggling with plantar fasciitis for the last few weeks which isn't getting any better.  So I've had to defer the Mighty Hike until next year...  :(
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
I've just taken some bedsheets off the line, which have dried in the sun.  They smell so nice they're going to go back on to the bed for tonight... :thumbsup:

There's just something about line dried washing.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
The BBC appear to have mis-spelt Wally Funk, thobut: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57849364

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
There's a delightful spoonerism in there somewhere.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
FOAF has just set new records for 100km and 100 miles on a recumbent trike. Friend has just e-mailed me about the attempt and informs me that Jochem is “super happy”.  Full disclosure: they’re both Dutch…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

Oh how exciting, Aldi want me – ME! – to be involved in their 'virtual consultation' about a new store. Which is basically marketing gumpf, I guess, to pre-empt objections to the planning application.

This one follows the one from Lidl, who have a similar proposal to build their supermarket at the other end of same road.

I confess I never really understand the economics of supermarkets, we already have a Morrisons and a Waitrose, neither of which seems especially busy, and only slightly further afield, a big Sainsbury and a big Tesco. Even though people are getting fatter, I can't imagine that they're eating so much food there's a need for two entirely new supermarkets within brief walking distance of one another. Or one for that matter. All supermarkets sell the same crap for a similar price, tbh, and you don't need to the king or queen of Cluedo to know they killed your local high street, I suspect we're subsidizing most of their workers with tax credits and other kickbacks (which probably explains why there are so many of them and they can (figuratively, one hopes) cannibalise the same finite market of shoppers).

Even though they're not really near me, I'll grink on principle, if nothing else, it will encourage yet more cars on roads that are already choked and hammer another couple of nails into the high streets immortal resting arrangements.

Beardy

• Shedist
I’m led to believe that food is very much a turnover item at supermarkets, with breakeven on most lines being the goal. The big ticket markups are things like flowers and Sweets and tobacco. I’m not sure how well that carries over to the German stores though.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

You are mistaken. There's mark-up on almost all food, too.

Beardy

• Shedist
That doesn’t surprise me, my information is over 20 years old  :facepalm:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

That really, when you're buying that food, you're paying for the empty aisles and having four supermarkets selling different brands of much the same stuff within casual walking distance of one another.

They are promising 12 bicycle places though, which is an uptick of the zero Waitrose and Morrisons currently have. That said, there are only three cyclists here and I'm one of them, so I don't know who the other 9 are for. Sixty-four car parking spaces, of course. Given the proposed location, I think I can safely say zero people will ever walk there (at least the proposed Aldi has a town centre location).

I suppose I should more charitable about their claim to be providing 50 jobs, especially as my mother spent many years working at Morrisons (and my formative employment experience was at the Coop), though ultimately how much taxpayers subsidize those jobs, and how many independent retail job opportunities get closed down, is debatable. My dear wife has pointed out they sell cheap gin though. I think that's her major economic concern.

I think I'd like this issue to be solved by the senior executives of both supermarket chains to fight each other – with swords – in the town centre and then the for the winner to dual it our with those of Morrisons and Waitrose. There can, and should be, only one.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
(Thread title seemed appropriate, given the subject matter.)

Dickpics are called 'cyber-flashing' now, apparently: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-57902816

https://twitter.com/i/events/1417417180518391814?s=20

Amazon package delivered on time.

https://twitter.com/brian_bilston/status/1417517511436869634?s=20

VIEW FROM A BILLIONAIRE’S SPACESHIP WINDOW

there,
amongst the stars
which held him
in thrall,

the most
incredible sight
of them all:

the planet Earth,
as it turned
on its axis,

and all
those people
paying taxes
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Went on the Octopus website to tell them we are moving house.
I only had to click on about 2 things. It was disturbingly easy.
Suspiciously so.

Much better than the pain I went through with SSE last time we moved. Hopefully.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Slight pleasure today to be able to reduce my mobile phone contract (unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, some but not a lot of data, some roaming) from £13.50 to £11.00 per month.

Admittedly it's a phone I bought myself  (Lenovo G10) and I'm a very light user.  Nevertheless £2.50 as a % reduction is pretty good to me.

Slight pleasure today to be able to reduce my mobile phone contract (unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, some but not a lot of data, some roaming) from £13.50 to £11.00 per month.

Admittedly it's a phone I bought myself  (Lenovo G10) and I'm a very light user.  Nevertheless £2.50 as a % reduction is pretty good to me.

£10 on Tesco (o2) for 10gig and unlimited texts and calls.

I'm on plusnet (EE) - 22GB, unlimited texts and calls. £10 per month, 30 day contract - four family SIMs on this.
The irritating thing is that they have an automatic annual price increase (inflation plus a little bit), so the price creeps up if I don't update the tariff each year - which means I always get it dropped back to £10 each, and increase the data as they always offer more.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
I'm on plusnet (EE) - 22GB, unlimited texts and calls. £10 per month, 30 day contract - four family SIMs on this.
The irritating thing is that they have an automatic annual price increase (inflation plus a little bit), so the price creeps up if I don't update the tariff each year - which means I always get it dropped back to £10 each, and increase the data as they always offer more.

It looks as if all the deals have the "auto increase" built in.   My deal is with Vodafone . . .  when they up the price next year I'll just go back and change the deal to the cheapest

The way that mobile phone prices have gone down since I got my own*  in 1990 (Vodafone when they had to use re-sellers, and still the same number) they'll be paying you to have a phone before long.

IIRC I had a work mobile in about 1988 or 89

Before that - back in days of yore (c 1969/70) I had a "car phone" - it was Securicor's LINK network and wasn't direct connect - it was open-channel to receive with a call-sign (mine was Galleon Link 1) - if you heard your call sign you pressed the mike button and spoke to an operator (which was closed channel) - the operator then relayed a message they had received for you from a landline. 

[i.e. on a landline you rang a number and asked for <message> to go to <callsign> - the operator then broadcast the call sign on the open channel (together with all the callsigns that had messages waiting), you connected to the operator and they gave you the message]   

The kit was a box in the car about as big as a car radio with curly-cable mike - and a box in the boot the size of a large brief-case, and an external aerial.

BT did have a direct carphone service in the late 1960s but the cost was prohibitive.

I converted one of the old Pye radiotelephone units to work on the amateur bands back in the late 80s/early 90s. It was a boot mounted unit, and used valves.

At the time I was in PSO mode, and driving around in a Lada. It was the time when multivalve car engines were becoming a thing, so sporty things would have "16V" badges on the boot.
I told people that my car was a 16 valve. 8 in the engine and 8 in the radio in the boot  :)

I went through the usual TACS/GSM mobiles, but did fit a rather amusing one (well, to me!) in one car. I'd got hold of a Nokia 22 PBX GSM terminal https://nokiamuseuminfo.wordpress.com/2001/06/18/nokia-22/ . These have a pots socket on them, so you can plug a landline phone in and it becomes a fully functional GSM device. So the back seat of my car had a bog standard BT push button phone, which was actually a fully functional mobile. Ideal for pretending to be George Cowley!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Messing around with my new RC car yesterday (a cheap1 and cheerful FTX Mauler, £180).

https://youtu.be/TA9G9m_rZUU

1 cheap compared to some RC's I had looked at, £1K+  :o

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
When the reality doesn't live up to the idea... and it was a bad idea to start with:
https://twitter.com/danbarker/status/1419787260107558918?s=20
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."