Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3007583 times)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #27375 on: 07 September, 2021, 02:07:46 pm »
Today the post office delivered a paperback-sized package to me. It was addressed to

XXX Our Shal XXX
$myhousenumber $notmyroadname (but the 1st 2 and last syllables are the same)
$mytownname
$mytownname (again)
$randompostcode (which was a valid one but of a business park about 10 miles away in Farnborough)

So the only things which matched my address were the house number and town name.

I was going to take it to the sorting office which is close enough, but I wondered about Our Shal, whoever she was, and was she missing a birthday present. Shal is obviously Sharon, and has rellies in the north. Now my next door neighbour is a Sharon and is from the Wirral, and it was her birthday on Sunday. And indeed it was for her, from her mum who is in a care home, and didn't know it was S's birthday when she rang on Sunday.

But full marks and a gold star to Royal Mail for getting so close to the intended recipient with so few clues.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #27376 on: 07 September, 2021, 08:02:06 pm »
After a week without, we have tv signal again.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #27377 on: 07 September, 2021, 08:27:26 pm »
Is this some sort of bonus?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #27378 on: 07 September, 2021, 08:41:15 pm »

<Snip>
But full marks and a gold star to Royal Mail for getting so close to the intended recipient with so few clues.
Gold star for you too, I reckon, for taking the trouble.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #27379 on: 07 September, 2021, 09:05:15 pm »
Is this some sort of bonus?
Arf. We don't have BBC4 HD anymore though, which is annoying.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #27380 on: 07 September, 2021, 09:17:24 pm »
Don't know. According to the Freeview checker site we still have Durris and the signal for that channel is predicted to be good, but even when I went and told the Humax to look manually for channel 55, 786Mhz (as described by a previous post on the Hummy.tv forum) it didn't find anything.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #27381 on: 07 September, 2021, 09:29:23 pm »
Did it find any of the channels on that mux?

Im not up to date on this, but UHF ch55 is 746MHz, I think.
Is Durris still using that channel?
My googling is producing contradictory and out of date results.
Is your hairial grouped to get that frequency?

I cant really test, my tellys dont do Freeview HD.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #27382 on: 07 September, 2021, 09:54:26 pm »
Answers to your 4 Q's in order:

1. I deleted a load of channels just after retuning but looking at what's on that mux I would say no, as I suspect I wouldn't have deleted BBC News HD for instsnce
2. Yes you're right, my typo
3. According to https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Durris yes. And we were on Durris at Sunnybank so I don't see that it would be transmitter related.
4. Not got a clue.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #27383 on: 07 September, 2021, 10:10:02 pm »
Confusingly that site says COM7 to be switched off in Nov 2020 for 5G but the BBC page for Durris says that mux is still available and our recent experience agrees. How messy.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #27384 on: 07 September, 2021, 10:15:04 pm »
Stick your postcode in here:
https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/coverage-checker/detailed-view

For me it shows com7 on ch55.

A Group A aerial is only good for ch21 thru 37.
Your hairiel might be a group A,  Durris traditionally was in the analog days.
In which case you need a wider band coathanger.

You say you have just got a signal after a week.
Was some work done to facilitate this? Wot exactly?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #27385 on: 07 September, 2021, 10:21:31 pm »
I think I just tripped across the same page and noted that all the missing channels were the ones with 2 asterisks, as you say.
Seems like a reasonable explanation anyway. Another thing for the bottom of the list.

We had no telly as the cable here had a type F connector and it's taken us a week to receive an F to Coax converter, nothing more fancy than that.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27386 on: 08 September, 2021, 04:59:01 pm »
Today's PR fail...

Good afternoon,

I hope you are well.

You are invited to celebrate the unveiling of Situ Live, a unique experiential retail destination at Westfield (Shepherd’s Bush).

As part of the exclusive press event, you will be some of the first people in the UK to explore the immersive space and understand how the team of on-hand experts will truly bring each innovative product to life...

It's like they've delved into my brain while I was asleep to find out what would be my Room 101. Then created it. Then invited me to it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #27387 on: 08 September, 2021, 05:11:52 pm »
A shopping experience platform that combines physical retail destinations, live storytelling and digital product discovery to emotionally re-connect consumers to brands

Finestre, the Demon of Such Things, has her new intern working hard.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #27388 on: 10 September, 2021, 07:28:16 pm »
Well, that's a little embarrassing.  We're eating dinner in front of Richard Osman's House of Games when my phone rings. It's the landlord of my local a few doors away.
"Where are you?"  He asks.
Initially I assume that this is in reference to the fact that I no longer drink during the week and maybe Friday counts as the weekend.
I explain that I'm at home eating my dinner.
"Well, Megan has has been in the pub for the last half hour"

Megan = Border Terrier.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #27389 on: 10 September, 2021, 07:50:54 pm »
Dog repatriated.  When I arrived in the pub, I've not seen anyone so disappointed to see me since Mrs B on the morning after our wedding night.
I've now taken her place in the King's.  The general consensus is that Meg was more fun than me.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27390 on: 10 September, 2021, 10:24:14 pm »
At least it wasn't the Country Girl...

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #27391 on: 11 September, 2021, 11:16:23 am »
At least it wasn't the Country Girl...
;D
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #27392 on: 13 September, 2021, 09:57:06 am »
Well, that's a little embarrassing.  We're eating dinner in front of Richard Osman's House of Games when my phone rings. It's the landlord of my local a few doors away.
"Where are you?"  He asks.
Initially I assume that this is in reference to the fact that I no longer drink during the week and maybe Friday counts as the weekend.
I explain that I'm at home eating my dinner.
"Well, Megan has has been in the pub for the last half hour and she says it is your round."

Megan = Border Terrier.

You missed a bit.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27393 on: 13 September, 2021, 12:51:25 pm »
I’m currently stripping the very dead paint off the exterior walls of our house with a power washer (did I mention the paint is dead) There are two issues; my visor is constantly running with water and removed paint flecks and I have learnt the hard way it’s not wise to lift it to see better (my eye is still sore 4 days after I tried it), it water keeps running down my neck an sleeves which is most unpleasant.
Lunch now, a nice cup of tea and then back to it. I need to finish today so I stop pissing of the neighbour with flakes of paint everywhere.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #27394 on: 14 September, 2021, 04:44:05 pm »
Welsh Slugs in the kitchen and living room in a first floor abode :sick:

They never venture into the bathroom or bedrooms as far as I can tell. But when one is often stumbling out of bed during the night for munchies, rehydration or pills or whatever, it's never nice to feel a cold plump slimy thing being squashed between one's toes. Am sadly not a slipper person. The other night there was one scaling up the side of the larder fridge ???

Anyone else suffer 'em? Any second floor or higher residents?

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #27395 on: 14 September, 2021, 05:22:11 pm »
I hope you live in Wales, Slope!  Otherwise the thought of slugs making their way from Wales, and going upstairs, is somewhat terrifying.

I live in a bungalow in very rural Wales, and absolutely zero slugs are seen (or, thankfully, felt underfoot).  This is in contrast to suburban Hampshire, where it was war against the slimy bastards.
Wombat

« Reply #27396 on: 15 September, 2021, 08:16:31 am »
I am old enough to find this Twitter thread funny:- https://twitter.com/memorialdevice/status/1437872887646539776
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #27397 on: 15 September, 2021, 09:52:13 am »
I am old enough to find this Twitter thread funny:- https://twitter.com/memorialdevice/status/1437872887646539776

We had a bloke where I worked once who used some kind of magic tanning snake-oil and turned orange all over*.  Trump would have loved it.

* we took his word for it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #27399 on: 15 September, 2021, 11:16:32 pm »
Pouring tea into a saucer and drinking it.

Not tea, but my grandmother always poured her coffee with cream out into the saucer, and then sipped it through sugar cubes lined up on the saucer's edge.

We grandchildren knew where the box of sugar cubes was kept.  It was always emptier after we visited.

A very common practice among Finns, Swedes, and Norse, it seems.