Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2945979 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #27400 on: 16 September, 2021, 09:43:23 am »
Russians too (who might use jam instead of sugar).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #27401 on: 16 September, 2021, 09:44:52 am »
Pouring tea into a saucer and drinking it.

Did I imagine this, or did people actually do this,until the 80s. And why?

My grandmother used to pour tea into the saucer...  but that was for the dog.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #27402 on: 16 September, 2021, 03:52:17 pm »
My maternal grandfather also drank his tea from a saucer.  I always thought it v. odd indeed, but that side of the family are all a bit ... strange. :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #27403 on: 16 September, 2021, 04:31:14 pm »
Well, that's a little embarrassing.  We're eating dinner in front of Richard Osman's House of Games when my phone rings. It's the landlord of my local a few doors away.
"Where are you?"  He asks.
Initially I assume that this is in reference to the fact that I no longer drink during the week and maybe Friday counts as the weekend.
I explain that I'm at home eating my dinner.
"Well, Megan has has been in the pub for the last half hour"

Megan = Border Terrier.

Clearly Megan isn't planning to stop drinking in the week just because you have.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27405 on: 18 September, 2021, 11:13:55 pm »
I’m being neighbourly1 in that I’m not using my spray paint gun to paint the gable wall and thus not spraying neighbours cars with overspray and blown droplets. The wall is pebble dash and it’s a right pain in the proverbial to paint with a brush and it’s also making my arms a shoulders sore. And it’s taking two or three times longer to actually get any where. I do sometimes wish I was less empathetic!

1. That, and masking windows et al, as well as the faff of cleaning down the spray machine.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #27406 on: 19 September, 2021, 01:06:12 pm »
My friend's youngest daughter has just started her first term at uni.
She is studying physics and astrophysics  :o

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27407 on: 19 September, 2021, 03:30:18 pm »
My friend's youngest daughter has just started her first term at uni.
She is studying physics and astrophysics  :o
aka applied mathematics.  :D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27408 on: 19 September, 2021, 05:31:32 pm »
...applied mathematics with doughnuts on Thursdays.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #27409 on: 19 September, 2021, 06:05:19 pm »
One of my Scouts did that. She's now got a PhD and works for the ESA in (tappity tap) Baltimore.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ian

« Reply #27410 on: 19 September, 2021, 06:15:07 pm »
Why not, erm, just call it astrophysics. It's not a good start for a career that involves equations not to cancel out one of the physics.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27411 on: 20 September, 2021, 01:26:04 am »
I am old enough to find this Twitter thread funny:- https://twitter.com/memorialdevice/status/1437872887646539776
We had a bloke where I worked once who used some kind of magic tanning snake-oil and turned orange all over*.  Trump would have loved it.
* we took his word for it.

I think this was some sort of carotene. Drug & Therapeutics Bulletin was none too complimentary at the time...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27412 on: 20 September, 2021, 08:15:43 am »
I am old enough to find this Twitter thread funny:- https://twitter.com/memorialdevice/status/1437872887646539776
We had a bloke where I worked once who used some kind of magic tanning snake-oil and turned orange all over*.  Trump would have loved it.

I think this was some sort of carotene. Drug & Therapeutics Bulletin was none too complimentary at the time...
Ms Beardy the younger went orange once. She likes carrots and went through a phase of eating far far to many of them. As an ED nurse she is constantly in the company of a many and varied medical practitioners, one of whom mentioned her changing skin tone and suggested she reduce her intake of orange pointy vegetables.  ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #27413 on: 20 September, 2021, 08:26:24 am »

Neither were we, but he was such a prat he probably enjoyed the attention.

JohnE
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #27414 on: 20 September, 2021, 06:24:46 pm »
Why not, erm, just call it astrophysics. It's not a good start for a career that involves equations not to cancel out one of the physics.

They don't cancel out, its (1 + Astro)physics
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27415 on: 20 September, 2021, 08:36:04 pm »

They don't cancel out, it's (1 + Astro)physics
Or Astro(physics2)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #27416 on: 21 September, 2021, 09:44:01 am »

Or Astro(physics2)

Naa.
That gives you too much physics.

That gets you astro.physics.physics
What you want is astro.physics + physics

Like wot cygnet did post.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #27417 on: 21 September, 2021, 10:03:44 am »
Are you worried about COVID? Of course you are! Do you want to carry on with all of the social activities of life? Of course you do! How can you reconcile these fears and desires? Equally importantly, how can you do so stylishly? Here's the answer:
With over 11 kilometres of copper in every jacket, the Full Metal Jacket is designed to help us pioneer the future of intelligent and disease resistant clothing. Copper is one of the most advanced materials in our solar system. Thrown out of supernovas billions of years ago, it became central to the rise of civilisation, creating tools and sterilising water, before enabling modern day communication, transport, and electrical power. Now, as we look for materials that offer us resistance to disease on Earth and up in space, and a base on which to build intelligent clothing, copper is set to be at the centre of innovation again. Its ability to conduct heat and power while killing bacteria and viruses make it a potential first building block for the future of clothing. Used to create the earliest recorded medical tools in ancient Egypt, and the latest medical tools being developed by NASA, we decided to build an entire jacket out of it. Built with 65% copper, the jacket is soft, malleable, highly waterproof, windproof and breathable, and comes with a fleece lined neck and pockets, making it a perfect everyday technical jacket.
https://www.vollebak.com/product/full-metal-jacket-black/

Yours for only £895. Expensive as a jacket, but what price life?
The next 100 years won’t look like the last 100
As we enter a new era of disease, the Earth heats up, and fires and floods sweep across countries, we’re radically underprepared as a species for the speed at which change is taking place. As normality shifts beneath us, our survival systems need to adapt – from emergency planning and infrastructure, to our architecture and clothing. Clothes have to become intelligent, and they have to do it quickly. So we’re doubling down on our mission to design for the needs of the next century and not just the next season.
Feel the fear and buy it anyway.

Copper’s ability to resist disease, while also conducting heat and electricity without a power source, make it an obvious contender.
Without a power source? Are they suggesting the jacket can turn you into a battery? I haven't yet found the bit where you're warned not to wear it near high voltage power lines or in a thunderstorm.

ian

« Reply #27418 on: 21 September, 2021, 10:09:01 am »

Or Astro(physics2)

Naa.
That gives you too much physics.

That gets you astro.physics.physics
What you want is astro.physics + physics

Like wot cygnet did post.

This is why I don't have a PhD that includes math, but they really should just call it astro, on account that it sounds cooler.

I'm still going to argue that one of those physics is redundant, I'm sure you can't do astrophysics without physics. From recently riffles through the CV pile, it does seem you can't do singular degrees these days, as though one broad subject is not enough.

« Reply #27419 on: 21 September, 2021, 10:11:54 am »
Are you worried about COVID? Of course you are! Do you want to carry on with all of the social activities of life? Of course you do! How can you reconcile these fears and desires? Equally importantly, how can you do so stylishly? Here's the answer:
With over 11 kilometres of copper in every jacket, the Full Metal Jacket is designed to help us pioneer the future of intelligent and disease resistant clothing. Copper is one of the most advanced materials in our solar system. Thrown out of supernovas billions of years ago, it became central to the rise of civilisation, creating tools and sterilising water, before enabling modern day communication, transport, and electrical power. Now, as we look for materials that offer us resistance to disease on Earth and up in space, and a base on which to build intelligent clothing, copper is set to be at the centre of innovation again. Its ability to conduct heat and power while killing bacteria and viruses make it a potential first building block for the future of clothing. Used to create the earliest recorded medical tools in ancient Egypt, and the latest medical tools being developed by NASA, we decided to build an entire jacket out of it. Built with 65% copper, the jacket is soft, malleable, highly waterproof, windproof and breathable, and comes with a fleece lined neck and pockets, making it a perfect everyday technical jacket.
https://www.vollebak.com/product/full-metal-jacket-black/

Yours for only £895. Expensive as a jacket, but what price life?
The next 100 years won’t look like the last 100
As we enter a new era of disease, the Earth heats up, and fires and floods sweep across countries, we’re radically underprepared as a species for the speed at which change is taking place. As normality shifts beneath us, our survival systems need to adapt – from emergency planning and infrastructure, to our architecture and clothing. Clothes have to become intelligent, and they have to do it quickly. So we’re doubling down on our mission to design for the needs of the next century and not just the next season.
Feel the fear and buy it anyway.

Copper’s ability to resist disease, while also conducting heat and electricity without a power source, make it an obvious contender.
Without a power source? Are they suggesting the jacket can turn you into a battery? I haven't yet found the bit where you're warned not to wear it near high voltage power lines or in a thunderstorm.

Marketing bumf like this just goes to show why you can't have too much physics.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27420 on: 21 September, 2021, 10:15:01 am »
I’m not sure I like the idea of a marketeer with a significant amount of physics. Can you imagine the marketing BS that would produce?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #27421 on: 21 September, 2021, 10:17:06 am »
I’m not sure I like the idea of a marketeer with a significant amount of physics. Can you imagine the marketing BS that would produce?
See above! Add in a bit of chemistry, history, archaeology... it's polymath marketing!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27422 on: 21 September, 2021, 11:26:45 am »
This is why I don't have a PhD that includes math, but they really should just call it astro, on account that it sounds cooler.

Nah. If they want it uber cool it should be called stro
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #27423 on: 21 September, 2021, 11:33:05 am »
That works, I'm studying the 'stro, bro.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #27424 on: 21 September, 2021, 12:35:38 pm »
Astro sounds like a sports pitch.