Author Topic: Spelling that makes you cringe  (Read 171859 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Spelling that makes you cringe
« Reply #950 on: 03 October, 2020, 10:43:10 am »
Version control, I expect...

In other news, I have failed to type shibolleth shibble shibbleleth shibbolith shibboleth correctly all week. And you have no bloody idea how many times I've had to write that word this week.

Funny that. I got it right first time yesterday and then looked it up because I didn't believe it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #951 on: 04 October, 2020, 05:17:47 pm »
...My main issue these days is my ability to consistently trype adn, teh, fro, and lately emissisons.  The latter being particularly peeving when working in climate change

Toady - I'm going to get in trouble for that one day.

« Reply #952 on: 04 October, 2020, 05:22:50 pm »
Acocuntant - for some reason I can never be bothered to go back and correct it.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #953 on: 11 October, 2020, 07:06:16 pm »
A word I still have to check every time is Plimsoll. Also plimsolls. Make that two words, because to me are quite separate. I think I first heard the word plimsolls when I confused my mum, who'd grown up in a different part of the country, by telling her I needed some daps for school. While it was easy to accept plimsolls as an alternative word for daps – definitely that way round – it was far harder to accept that plimsolls and Plimsoll could possibly be the same word. Because what connection could there possibly be between canvas and rubber PE shoes and a line painted on the side of a ship to prevent it being overloaded? Clearly the Plimsoll line was named after Mr Plimsoll who had the bright idea and the shoes must be plimpsoles, because they have soles that make a 'plimp' noise as you walk in them. Plus, if anybody I knew (other than my parents) ever called them anything other than daps, they probably did say the first syllable 'plimp'. And if that spelling wasn't right, then the line must be spelt Plymsoll, connecting with Plymouth and thereby ships. I'd like to say I was clever enough to think it must be Plimsoul, after the souls it saved, but it never occurred to me. Besides, we never said SOS in our playground games, it was always Mayday. It was only a few years ago I learnt that daps is an acronym of Dunlop Athletic Plimsolls. I prefer to think of it as onomatopoeia.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #954 on: 11 October, 2020, 09:43:46 pm »
the shoes must be plimpsoles, because they have soles that make a 'plimp' noise as you walk in them.

This is my favourite thing I have read on the internet today.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #955 on: 12 October, 2020, 05:43:48 am »
...My main issue these days is my ability to consistently trype adn, teh, fro, and lately emissisons.  The latter being particularly peeving when working in climate change

Toady - I'm going to get in trouble for that one day.

One of my current clients is only a minor typo away from splat
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #956 on: 12 October, 2020, 07:34:49 am »
It was only a few years ago I learnt that daps is an acronym of Dunlop Athletic Plimsolls. I prefer to think of it as onomatopoeia.  :D

Ferry interestink.  In Schwabenland (darkest Württemberg) the dialect version of "let's go for a dander" is "gehen wir 'rumdappen".

Ah... dander might not be familiar to all. Stroll.

citoyen

« Reply #957 on: 12 October, 2020, 08:39:52 am »
It was only a few years ago I learnt that daps is an acronym of Dunlop Athletic Plimsolls. I prefer to think of it as onomatopoeia.  :D

Ferry interestink.  In Schwabenland (darkest Württemberg) the dialect version of "let's go for a dander" is "gehen wir 'rumdappen".

Where an acronym is posited as the origin of a colloquial word, it's nearly always spurious.

ian

« Reply #958 on: 12 October, 2020, 09:57:46 am »
I've never heard of daps. Plimsolls were non-cool footwear for school PE, of course.

I've, of course, just learned it is not spelt Plimsoles.

« Reply #959 on: 12 October, 2020, 10:07:09 am »
They were called sandshoes in my family and still are by me and my brothers.  I wondered if it was a Northern thing so I looked it up just now and was gratified to find that it is listed as being used in Australia, New Zealand and …. Northern England!  My Dad spent 4 years of his young life there (sadly, he only had a young life) so maybe it came from there to us.  We also call pikelets pikelets (be quiet Roger!) while the rest of the world calls them crumpets, unless they are very thin.  That's also an Australian thing, apparently.  I've learned somethings today - great!

ian

« Reply #960 on: 12 October, 2020, 10:39:42 am »
Crumpets are called pikelets in the East Midlands (well, the bit I grew up in). I don't think we had thin ones.

« Reply #961 on: 12 October, 2020, 10:46:23 am »
We didn't/don't have thin ones, either.  I just got that from a definition site!

I could just eat one now (pikelet, not sandshoe, though I was brought up to eat what was on the plate - all of it!)

citoyen

« Reply #962 on: 12 October, 2020, 11:02:06 am »
IME, the key difference between pikelets and crumpets is that crumpets are cooked in a ring while pikelets are freeform (this is also why crumpets tend to be thicker). Also you cook pikelets on both sides, but crumpets are only cooked on one side.

According to my recipe book, crumpet batter is also slightly thicker (they come under the same heading, you just add a bit more flour if making crumpets).

They are basically the same thing though.

I was going to make some crumpets yesterday but made some teacakes instead. They're slightly more faff than teacakes because you have to attend them while cooking and you can only do a few at a time (unless you have a very large griddle).

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #963 on: 12 October, 2020, 11:27:49 am »
Maybe pikelets were thinner originally (which my general memory of them) because they are freeform and that has now become the norm even with probable manufacturing processes that could keep them thicker?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #964 on: 12 October, 2020, 11:30:22 am »
All the pikelets of my childhood came in packets. It might have said crumpets on the label (I can't remember that far back) but the thing within was always called a pikelet by everyone I knew.

The important thing is to put enough butter on the top that it comes out of the bottom.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #965 on: 12 October, 2020, 12:40:43 pm »
All the pikelets of my childhood came in packets. It might have said crumpets on the label (I can't remember that far back) but the thing within was always called a pikelet by everyone I knew.

The important thing is to put enough butter on the top that it comes out of the bottom.
My Dad, generally a selfless man who put others before him, would always always always go for the crumpet from the bottom of the stack, the one that was drenched in butter that had permeated through those above it.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #966 on: 12 October, 2020, 01:02:51 pm »
the shoes must be plimpsoles, because they have soles that make a 'plimp' noise as you walk in them.

Every now and again, I get the feeling I've actually done something worthwhile.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #967 on: 12 October, 2020, 01:17:54 pm »

Where an acronym is posited as the origin of a colloquial word, it's nearly always spurious.

Helluvalot of spuring goes on all the same.

2050 AD: Daddy, why is it rude to call them bames?

citoyen

« Reply #968 on: 12 October, 2020, 01:21:02 pm »

This is why crumpets have holes, after all.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #969 on: 13 October, 2020, 12:39:26 am »

Are entertaining streams of consciousness a COVID-19 symptom?  Between the plimsolls and the world service I'm starting to worry about the effects of the Violent Virus.  If this keeps up, I worry that Cudzo may turn into ian and/or Mr Larrington.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #970 on: 16 October, 2020, 08:22:49 am »
The caption under the top picture in this article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-54551068

The primitive fish had a heavily-armoured head and could grow up to a meter long

Could they really grow as long as an instrument for measuring flow?
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #971 on: 16 October, 2020, 08:31:29 am »
Today I learnt that some people refer to the poles of a magnet as "positive" and "negative". How long has this been going on? What's wrong with North and South?
That’s a bit of a loded question.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #972 on: 16 October, 2020, 08:40:25 am »

« Reply #973 on: 16 October, 2020, 08:41:57 am »
Move Faster and Bake Things

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #974 on: 28 October, 2020, 09:48:20 pm »