Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576281 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #700 on: 25 September, 2011, 04:23:23 pm »
Try digestives instead...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #701 on: 25 September, 2011, 09:13:57 pm »
I'm sure there was a perfectly good reason, and Rower40 will be along shortly to tell me, but why, having waited half an hour longer than normal for a train out of Manchester Piccadilly due to engineering works reducing trains to an hourly service, did we then crawl off for 10 minutes in the wrong direction, stop at Salford Crescent (possibly picking up a member of staff?) and then set off back the way we came.

I expect there's a clever and sensible answer involving points and lines and stuff, but given that I was standing with no prospect of a seat until Leeds at least, it just seemed to be taking the piss a bit....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #702 on: 26 September, 2011, 09:33:40 am »
Body, 40 is the new 30 etc.  why are you pretending to be old?
wrist, stop aching, I am not a bloke
weight, I am quite happy for you to stay as you are, stop sneaking off, come back and bring some friends, only a few mind
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #703 on: 26 September, 2011, 09:42:51 am »
So-called mate: I lent you a very decent Fiskars pruning saw that had seen little use. You chose to hold on to it for months & then informed me you'd broken the blade. You then did nothing to replace it until I insisted. You then give me what looked like an Aldi £4 special that promptly bent as soon as it encountered an insubstantial branch. Cheers! And to then say "Oh well" and shrug your shoulders tells me much about you...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #704 on: 26 September, 2011, 06:26:38 pm »
Colleague. There's a reason why, when I put the electric truck away and plug in the charger, I always wait until I can hear the fan whirring, indicating that charging is happening. Otherwise, I wouldn't know if, for example, someone had unplugged the charger at the wall. Because in that case, we'd get in on a morning to find the vehicle uncharged.

Never mind, we coped on the trikes for the morning while she charged. We cope with stuff.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #705 on: 26 September, 2011, 09:45:52 pm »
Why was there a used/full nappy on our front lawn this morning? None of the immediate neighbours have littlys.  :-\

I wonder if a fox carried it from somewhere? Luckily it was all still wrapped up around itself so was easy to hoik into a plastic bag and into the wheely bin but still not what one wants to see at that time of day (or any time really).
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #706 on: 27 September, 2011, 09:04:01 am »
Ms librarian. Thanks for putting my books on your library card, but really, wouldn't it be better to admit you can't work the software enough to clear the debt I've paid and just ask for help from someone? You're going to feel pretty stupid if I don't return the books on time and you get the late charges, aren't you. And it's not like you don't know I've got previous ::)

essexian

« Reply #707 on: 27 September, 2011, 09:59:20 am »
Darling wife, I love you dearly but there are somethings a man should not be asked to do three times in a week.

Before you get the wrong idea, I am talking about visiting IKEA!

Once I could accept as, well the item you wanted was good value from there and as we went early, the place and the M6 wasn't too busy.

To send me back on Saturday instead of me heading out for my normal morning cycle ride was a bit of a pain especially as I went to get something you had rejected on our earlier visit. I can just about live with that however. Sometimes we do things we don't like eh.

BUT to say that there is more from there you want is pushing it abit especially after I asked on Saturday to be sure that was it. I know I am coming home along the M6 tomorrow evening but it wil be rush hour so the road will be hell and the shop even worse!

Wife, I love you but at times.... :facepalm:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #708 on: 27 September, 2011, 01:49:38 pm »
Vauxhall - I do not need a little light on the dashboard telling me when to change gear. Given all the car-related malarkey I've had to put up with, my brain now interprets any previously invisible dashboard light as "something wrong". Besides which, I know when I need to change gear - I don't need a little light to remind me.

Fortunately, this is a hire car so I only have to put up with it until tomorrow.

This seems to be a generic GM thing - I remarked upon the "shift" light installed in my chum Preston's Chevy S10 pickup the other week.  He opined that this is because GM assume all their customers are idiots, rather than just most of them.

Where the hell did the button from my trousis go?  I'm sure I put it in the lighter pen pocket for reattachment on arrival home, and now it's done a runner :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #709 on: 27 September, 2011, 02:10:04 pm »
Just carry on using the baler twine.  No one will notice the difference.
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #710 on: 27 September, 2011, 02:11:17 pm »
$WORK_FRIEND I find it very laudable that you are a) buying a new bike so that you can compete better in b) these flaming Triathlons you keep telling me about.

BUT TBH, I don't give a flying fuck about either....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #711 on: 27 September, 2011, 03:04:15 pm »
Double grumble: having recuperated after Monday's dental malarkey I have to return to the office tomorrow. Hurrah! I get to be ignored by a building full of people rather than being ignored in solitary splendour in my home office.

Also, turns out I won't find out about the job I interviewed for until Friday - it's a bloody long haul until then, and the way I feel right now I'm inclined to hand in my notice irrespective of whether or not I get it.

« Reply #712 on: 27 September, 2011, 03:35:32 pm »
Guess which idiot left his battered, well travelled, 1l Sigg water bottle with the spendy sports top in the campsite today...........go on, guess......

It's a bit warm and sunny here, and when  noticed it was gone it took ages to find a shop to buy a plastic bottle of mineral water.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #713 on: 27 September, 2011, 04:01:05 pm »
I just hung up a load of washing.

1 pr pjs, size mens small
4 pairs boxers, size mens small/ age 16
1 pr trousers, 30w x 32l
1 polo shirt 'McDonalds Crew'
2 prs socks, mens size 7-9.

No1Son, well done for learning how to work the washing machine.
Now start washing other peoples' clothes too, eh?

*sigh*

« Reply #714 on: 27 September, 2011, 05:47:18 pm »
Vauxhall - I do not need a little light on the dashboard telling me when to change gear. Given all the car-related malarkey I've had to put up with, my brain now interprets any previously invisible dashboard light as "something wrong". Besides which, I know when I need to change gear - I don't need a little light to remind me.

Fortunately, this is a hire car so I only have to put up with it until tomorrow.

This seems to be a generic GM thing - I remarked upon the "shift" light installed in my chum Preston's Chevy S10 pickup the other week.  He opined that this is because GM assume all their customers are idiots, rather than just most of them.
Someone from head office saw some of the non-US cars one day, & was horrified that drivers were exposed to the mind-boggling complexity (for Leftpondians) of manual gear changing.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #715 on: 27 September, 2011, 06:02:21 pm »

Where the hell did the button from my trousis go?  I'm sure I put it in the lighter pen pocket for reattachment on arrival home, and now it's done a runner :(

Kia are at it as well, only they have decided in their infinite wisdom to have a blue light on the dashboard to show that the engine is cool and it extinguishes when it has warmed up. When I asked why at the dealership, I was met with a jaundiced "please, please, please not that question again" look, so I didn't push the point.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #716 on: 27 September, 2011, 06:33:08 pm »
Ach!

Just grabbed a handful of cutlery from the draining rack to put away in the drawer and discovered that the brown on one of the teaspoons was marmite rather than the usual insoluble tea residue.  I assume this means I've been washing up in poor light again, rather than the presence of a marmite-eating poltergeist, but you never know...

Chris S

« Reply #717 on: 27 September, 2011, 06:51:23 pm »
inConsistent Use of capITals in XML tagS.

Bah! I Hate you...  >:(

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #718 on: 27 September, 2011, 07:02:14 pm »
inConsistent Use of capITals in XML tagS.

Bah! I Hate you...  >:(
FTFY

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #719 on: 27 September, 2011, 07:05:11 pm »
Kia are at it as well, only they have decided in their infinite wisdom to have a blue light on the dashboard to show that the engine is cool and it extinguishes when it has warmed up. When I asked why at the dealership, I was met with a jaundiced "please, please, please not that question again" look, so I didn't push the point.
They're off the list, then.

The worst one I had was in the Hyundai i30 that I had as a hire car after my accident - not content with just displaying a little 'up arrow' or 'down arrow' graphic, depending on how the ECU thought you should change gear, it also displayed the current gear in the form of a BFO *blue* LCD-style digit. Way to go, Hyundai - instead of keeping your eyes on the road, they're now drawn to the Glowing Number Of Doom every time the car thinks you should change gear.

It's worth noting that my ex-Meriva didn't have a gear change indicator - even if it had, it would have been lost in the noise of all the other dashboard lights when the electrics invariably fucked up.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #720 on: 27 September, 2011, 07:57:10 pm »
Kia are at it as well, only they have decided in their infinite wisdom to have a blue light on the dashboard to show that the engine is cool

Nothing about a Kia has ever been cool.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #721 on: 27 September, 2011, 08:04:09 pm »
I saw one on Top Gear once...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #722 on: 27 September, 2011, 08:09:22 pm »
I saw one on Top Gear once...
I *think* that the Kia Cee'd was the 'Reasonably Priced Car' that was driven by Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise (amongst others, no doubt) - the main reason I remember it was because Tom Cruise's lap was absolutely pure, unadulterated awesome, helped in no small part by a bit of two-wheeled action on the final bend (other than that, I think the guy's a complete fruit-loop)

EDIT: having checked the Fount Of All Knowledge, it would appear that I remember correctly.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #723 on: 27 September, 2011, 09:04:47 pm »
Dear Hairy Bikers, if you must go to Slaithwaite, at least learn how to pronounce it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #724 on: 27 September, 2011, 09:36:01 pm »
Dear Hairy Bikers, if you must go to Slaithwaite, at least learn how to pronounce it.

>:(
Getting there...