Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576423 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #725 on: 27 September, 2011, 09:45:49 pm »
As I cycled through an almost deserted pedestrian precinct, following the official cycle route, I clearly heard a woman say "Much too fast". 21.5 kmh. Is that too fast? I'd been further away from every pedestrian (including her & her companion) than cars often pass them in the street when they're walking on the pavement. slowing down when passing a concealed entrance (I knew it was there), etc
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #726 on: 27 September, 2011, 09:46:23 pm »
Dear Hairy Bikers, if you must go to Slaithwaite, at least learn how to pronounce it.

This furriner assumes it is not pronounced as written.  This furriner also learned very early on the be extremely cautious when trying to pronounce British place names.  The usual routine is not to pronounce any place name one has not heard others pronounce first.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #727 on: 27 September, 2011, 09:48:51 pm »
This furriner assumes it is not pronounced as written.  This furriner also learned very early on the be extremely cautious when trying to pronounce British place names.  The usual routine is not to pronounce any place name one has not heard others pronounce first.

A tactic not infrequently used by this Brit.  Reading Scottish place names in Welsh may cause embarrassment.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #728 on: 27 September, 2011, 09:50:16 pm »
Dear Hairy Bikers, if you must go to Slaithwaite, at least learn how to pronounce it.

The correct pronunciation is Slath-waite - slath to rhyme with bath (northern bath, not southern bath) and waite as is weight and wait. Locals pronounce it Sla-wit. The Hairy Bikers and many others incorrectly pronounce it Slaith-waite, slaith to rhyme with faith.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #729 on: 27 September, 2011, 10:09:13 pm »
I frequently get laughed (pronounced laffed) at for pronouncing Bath differently to bath.

It's the upper case and courier font thing all over again...

« Reply #730 on: 27 September, 2011, 10:14:01 pm »
Why can't people either spell places the way they are pronounced or pronounce them the way they are spelt? We have a perfectly reasonable phonetic language. It's just so the locals can laugh at outsiders - ridiculous ::-).

Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #731 on: 27 September, 2011, 10:17:31 pm »
Indeed, so why call Bath 'Baaaaaarrrrrrrrth'?
Getting there...

« Reply #732 on: 27 September, 2011, 10:19:58 pm »
That's just different pronunciation (wider than just local) of one vowel - not leaving out whole syllables!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

border-rider

« Reply #733 on: 27 September, 2011, 10:22:38 pm »
Locals pronounce it Sla-wit.

and Linthwaite Lin-fit as I recall (Mrs MV used to work in Huddersfield when we lived in Leeds)

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #734 on: 27 September, 2011, 10:23:14 pm »
Why can't people either spell places the way they are pronounced or pronounce them the way they are spelt? We have a perfectly reasonable phonetic language. It's just so the locals can laugh at outsiders - ridiculous ::-).

We do?  Which language would that be?  I know it's definitely not modern English! 
E.g. Slough / tough / through all end in the same four letters but each is pronounced differently.   As for all the (now) superfluous letters in knight  ::-)

Some (most?) of the Slavic languages are phonetic.  German is pretty close.  Any others?

border-rider

« Reply #735 on: 27 September, 2011, 10:29:12 pm »
Welsh, I think.  They just change the letters as needed to match the correct pronunciation :)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #736 on: 27 September, 2011, 10:38:02 pm »
Spanish is pretty much phonetic.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #737 on: 27 September, 2011, 10:38:13 pm »
I'll see your Baaaaaarrrrrrrrrth and raise you Oswaldtwistle, Barnoldswick and Slaithwaite.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

border-rider

« Reply #738 on: 27 September, 2011, 10:41:10 pm »
I'll see your Baaaaaarrrrrrrrrth and raise you Oswaldtwistle, Barnoldswick and Slaithwaite.

That's the B in RB211 you know.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #739 on: 27 September, 2011, 10:49:36 pm »
I didn't and had to google RB211. I was initially under the misapprehension that it might have been a Popular Beat Combo.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #740 on: 27 September, 2011, 10:52:48 pm »
As did I, though I was under the impression that it might have been a MicroTik router.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #741 on: 28 September, 2011, 01:29:14 am »
Ach!

Just grabbed a handful of cutlery from the draining rack to put away in the drawer and discovered that the brown on one of the teaspoons was marmite rather than the usual insoluble tea residue.  I assume this means I've been washing up in poor light again, rather than the presence of a marmite-eating poltergeist, but you never know...

It was nutella and yes washing up fail on your part as I left it "innamug" yesterday morning...  I had important nutella out of jar eating to do.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #742 on: 28 September, 2011, 08:22:25 am »

And I raise you a Sharow (a small village near Ripon, and the best way to telling if a person is local or not)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #743 on: 28 September, 2011, 08:30:49 am »
The best one I know is Sowerby Bridge.  While everyone agrees on the Bridge part, there are three different pronunciations of 'Sowerby' used by locals! :o
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #744 on: 28 September, 2011, 08:31:20 am »

You forgot Appletreewick and Grassington ;)
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #745 on: 28 September, 2011, 09:50:21 am »
I'm often amazed that so many motorists think I'm a native of Scunthorpe & can't say that in it's full pronounciation

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #746 on: 28 September, 2011, 09:59:13 am »
I'll add in the villages of Lamplugh and Rowrah round here, and less locally the Vale of Belvoir (there is a letting agent up here called Belvoir and they pronounce themselves it exactly as it's spelt :facepalm:)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #747 on: 28 September, 2011, 10:02:01 am »
My 'working from home' today has been greatly complicated by not being able to access webmail.  No problem, think I, I can just connect directly to the notwork then access my emails (and any other documents I might need).  Nope, can't connect that way, either.  Other websites work, IT dept. doesn't see any problems and confirms others are able to connect.  Cue a day of calling team mates to send across documents to my personal email address and a rubbish start to tomorrow morning as I deal with today's emails.

And they say working from home can be less stressful.  ::-)

« Reply #748 on: 28 September, 2011, 10:45:52 am »
Kia are at it as well, only they have decided in their infinite wisdom to have a blue light on the dashboard to show that the engine is cool

Nothing about a Kia has ever been cool.

Sorry Jeremy ;)

£30 p.a. road tax softens the blow.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #749 on: 28 September, 2011, 10:49:57 am »
As I cycled through an almost deserted pedestrian precinct, following the official cycle route, I clearly heard a woman say "Much too fast". 21.5 kmh. Is that too fast? I'd been further away from every pedestrian (including her & her companion) than cars often pass them in the street when they're walking on the pavement. slowing down when passing a concealed entrance (I knew it was there), etc

I was told I was going too fast on a (wide) towpath by two seemingly hard-of-hearing ladies a couple of weeks ago. I had been pinging my bell well before my arrival and when consciousness crept up on them, I whizzed past them at the heady speed of 8 m.p.h.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.