Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1603967 times)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #13475 on: 26 July, 2021, 01:53:01 pm »
Somebody sent me £20K but I cannot work out who it was.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13476 on: 26 July, 2021, 02:12:41 pm »
Somebody sent me £20K but I cannot work out who it was.
oop, I think it must have been me. In error. Please can you send it back to me?  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13477 on: 26 July, 2021, 03:17:51 pm »
A software company has a bundle of programs that include a help desk function, which they decide to spell Helpdesk. Fair enough, they want to make it a little bit distinctive from any generic help desk. But now they've put out a training video in which they spell it HelpDesk. How am I supposed to ensure their lousy captions are consistent with what's on screen and with company practice when what's on screen isn't consistent with company practice? Well, I suppose this one reason why I haven't yet been automated out of existence (I'll be following the on-screen version as it's what will accompany the text).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13478 on: 26 July, 2021, 04:37:14 pm »
There's a circle of hell for people who name software or features of software after real things that already exist within the same general context.  It's not as if software developers don't spend half their life pasting things into search engines and don't know better than to give things ungoogleable names.

If there's a problem with the Helpdesk function, who you gonna call?

(This grumble sponsored by "My Computer")

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13479 on: 26 July, 2021, 05:02:06 pm »
Why restrict that circle to software names? Anyway, they've made me smile with a small typo: "we have visible warnings on licensed entitlement failure". I do think "licensed to fail" should be a thing, it sounds far more fun "licensed to kill", and "licensed entitlement failure" just suggests someone having a massive strop.  :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13480 on: 26 July, 2021, 05:16:18 pm »
Licensing entitlement might not be a bad idea either...

Ungooglable names are just as frustrating outside the world of software, I'm just more inclined to give the creators slack for not considering the searchability problem.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13481 on: 26 July, 2021, 05:27:14 pm »
Licensing entitlement might not be a bad idea either...
Far too many people think they're licensed to it anyway.

ian

« Reply #13482 on: 26 July, 2021, 07:54:35 pm »
People who take their guitars out into the garden and start singing.
1. They're never as good as they think they are.
2. Why is it always fucking Oasis?

Reminds me, when I built my first time machine and everyone was like 'are you going to go back and kill Hitler?' and I was 'no, I'm starting with Oasis.'

Unfortunately, it's all true about the alternative timelines, so there's now one without Oasis and then there's ours. I killed Hitler in another one, but there was still Oasis.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13483 on: 27 July, 2021, 01:26:33 am »
How about the one where they send Oasis to kill Hitler?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13484 on: 27 July, 2021, 04:45:32 pm »
More software terminology: "an identity-as-a-service product". There would be a less clumsy way to say this, if only "identity-as-a-service" hadn't (apparently) become an accepted phrase.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13485 on: 27 July, 2021, 05:10:58 pm »
More software terminology: "an identity-as-a-service product". There would be a less clumsy way to say this, if only "identity-as-a-service" hadn't (apparently) become an accepted phrase.
what, pray, is an Identity-as-a-service? Is it a service for those wishing to use a different identity but can’t be arsed to steal someone else’s?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13486 on: 27 July, 2021, 06:05:30 pm »
what, pray, is an Identity-as-a-service? Is it a service for those wishing to use a different identity but can’t be arsed to steal someone else’s?

I think it's when your cloudy webwankbollocks software doesn't understand that you're an authenticated user because they've outsourced the authentication to someone else.

« Reply #13487 on: 27 July, 2021, 06:26:53 pm »
I'm brewing up for a full on rant but currently at grumble status.
Some individuals  ( son and daughter in laws) and others eat with a fork only. I set the table, knives and forks etc and before you know it people start eating like an extra from an American war film. Head lowered to the plate and clumsy attempts to " chow down". Struggling to eat meat and two veg without the use of a knife. I bite my tongue,  occasionally literally.  After dinner I ask what their favourite meals are. Pasta. No need for a knife or teeth. Am I the only person this annoys? My poor Mum did her level best to drag us up properly. Grr

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #13488 on: 27 July, 2021, 06:42:44 pm »
Paint companies.  When you put the word, "grey" in the name you give to a paint I expect to see something that looks grey, a bit like the label on the tin, you know?  So why the hell did it, despite lots of careful stirring before application, look like PRU blue*?  It's a kitchen you muppets, not a MK XIX Spitfire.  Some wasted hours, four coats of white and one throughly annoyed and justifiably disappointed MrsLurker later the situation is recovered (haa haa).

So, anyone want two cans of "Coastal Grey"?  One unopened, one barely used.  Free if you can be arsed to collect it.  Bottom RH corner of gloucestercestershire.

*Yes, we did buy a sample pot and try it out.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #13489 on: 27 July, 2021, 06:53:11 pm »
Never, ever, buy any paint based on names. Always use a reference number.  With household paints this will usually be either a BS4800 or NCS reference.  Anyone who tries to sell you paint by name, does not deserve your, or anyone's business.

If you don't have a proper reference chart, then try looking at "E-paints" online, they all sorts of charts and guides, and cross references available.  Yes, paint reference charts are expensive!
Wombat

« Reply #13490 on: 27 July, 2021, 07:31:20 pm »
Some individuals  ( son and daughter in laws) and others eat with a fork only. I set the table, knives and forks etc and before you know it people start eating like an extra from an American war film. Head lowered to the plate and clumsy attempts to " chow down". Struggling to eat meat and two veg without the use of a knife. I bite my tongue,  occasionally literally.  After dinner I ask what their favourite meals are. Pasta. No need for a knife or teeth. Am I the only person this annoys? My poor Mum did her level best to drag us up properly. Grr

Don’t go to Minnesota. They don’t use knives at all, they cut their food with the fork, and aid deposition onto the fork via fingers.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13491 on: 27 July, 2021, 07:37:35 pm »
I’ll eat suppers on my knee in front of the TV with just a fork, but when we sit at the table for dinner I’ll use both knife and fork. That said, what we eat will largely depend on whether we’ve got company or not and that would dictate whether we have dinner or supper.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13492 on: 27 July, 2021, 07:47:20 pm »
It's Mr Ben in a flaky, expensive version at the end of a long piece of anbaric string.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13493 on: 27 July, 2021, 07:49:22 pm »
*makes mental note to name an LDAP server mrben*

« Reply #13494 on: 27 July, 2021, 10:20:40 pm »

Completely agree.  Hold your knife and fork properly and sit up straight.  You do not slouch with forearms on the table and just shovel food in!!!!!!!!

« Reply #13495 on: 27 July, 2021, 10:21:27 pm »
No uncooked joints on the table ...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13496 on: 27 July, 2021, 11:34:42 pm »
No uncooked joints on the table ...
All joints on the table will be carved.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #13497 on: 28 July, 2021, 01:12:51 am »
Eating "manners" are definitely one of those age, social class and culture things.

Many South Asians eat using their hands/chapattis etc. East Asian people often hold a bowl close to the mouth and shovel the food in with spoon/chopsticks... North Americans use cutlery differently from Middle Class English people... I hear people complain about Germans and how they use cutlery...

I was bought up in a household with eating manners much like the grumblers here would like. I don't think I really notice how others handle cutlery and eat if I'm honest, but many of my friends are disabled so like me have idiosyncratic eating styles anyway. We usually eat at a table cos the ergonomics are better and it's easier to clean...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13498 on: 28 July, 2021, 01:25:24 am »
USAnians are just plain weird when it comes to cutlery.  Starting with their insistence on referring to it as “silverware” even when it’s molished from plastic.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #13499 on: 28 July, 2021, 06:52:29 am »
USAnians are just plain weird when it comes to cutlery.  Starting with their insistence on referring to it as “silverware” even when it’s molished from plastic.

Don't get me started on their use of the word 'entree'...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor