Author Topic: Trainspotters. Why?  (Read 91355 times)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Re: Trainspotters. Why?
« Reply #75 on: 28 July, 2011, 03:26:50 pm »
Ah, so you can't do whatever you like on a heritage railway?
I think the high-ups in that particular heritage railway wouldn't mind if the drivers of the diesels drove from the rear cab, but I guess these drivers don't want to get into bad habits when they go back to their day job.  I can (sort of) see the point of the driver being able to (*shock horror*) SEE where he's going.  Particularly when reversing over a couple of foot-crossings - which there are at this specific shunting location.

I bow to interzen's better knowledge of the history of the rolling stock being used out on the real railway.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #76 on: 28 July, 2011, 04:35:25 pm »
Well, if we're showing Class 66 pictures, here's a picture that I took on holiday a couple of weeks ago:-

P7150506 by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

No doubt there is a web-site somewhere detailing the movements of these and other locos.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #77 on: 28 July, 2011, 06:38:31 pm »
The Classes 20 and 37 are also from the steam era yet still survive.  They've probably been re-engined though.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #78 on: 28 July, 2011, 06:46:52 pm »
I note that this thread has, thankfully, been derailed from the rather sad (IMO) pastime of noting down engine numbers into the happier one of railway admiration. That makes sense to me, along with bridges, ships or even radio transmission masts.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

robbo6

« Reply #79 on: 28 July, 2011, 09:38:48 pm »
ps.  Please don't forget to answer my question on the 08s. :)  Are they the oldest locos still used on the proper railways?
Pretty much, yes, if you rule out main-line certified steam locos.
The actual design of the 08s and their ilk predates nationalisation, just (they're originally an LMS design, if memory serves)

The class 11 design dates back to 1939, there was no difference in the engine or traction motors between them and the class 08.

robbo6

« Reply #80 on: 28 July, 2011, 09:46:29 pm »
Meanwhile the Swiss are still using loco's built in 1912.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhaetian_Railway_Ge_2/2

gonzo

« Reply #81 on: 28 July, 2011, 09:50:11 pm »
I can understand trainspotters - trains are wonderful things (particularly steam trains)...

...but bus spotters ???  ???  Why?

I used to know a guy who did this. We mocked him until we realised that he was an invaluable resource if we needed to get a bus from point to point B!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #82 on: 28 July, 2011, 10:11:39 pm »
Meanwhile the Swiss are still using loco's built in 1912.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhaetian_Railway_Ge_2/2
These are my faves: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhaetian_Railway_Ge_6/6_I even if they date 'only' from the 1920s :) Then again, I'm a bit of a sucker for Swiss metre gauge railways (and narrow gauge stuff in general)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #83 on: 28 July, 2011, 10:59:38 pm »
The class 11 design dates back to 1939, there was no difference in the engine or traction motors between them and the class 08.

But it's not still used on normal British railways, is it?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #84 on: 28 July, 2011, 11:07:08 pm »

But it's not still used on normal British railways, is it?
Not the Class 11, no.
I think the point being made is that whilst the Class 08s themselves are probably the oldest non-heritage locomotives in revenue-earning service, certain aspects of the loco's design are a lot older (pre-nationalisation and, in some cases, pre-WW2). The historical details of British diesel shunters are somewhat labyrinthine.

The previously mentioned Class 20s were introduced in the late 50s (1958-ish?) and the Class 37s in the early 60s (1962-3 rings a bell).

« Reply #85 on: 28 July, 2011, 11:23:51 pm »
Zimbabwe still has working steam, many moons ago mrs ao and I did the ~450ml return trip from Bulawayo - Vic Falls as passengers pulled by a Class 14A Garratt.

Sorry about the quality...

My trainspotter anecdote, is that on my very first day at Uni, on a tour of the city - I sat next to a fellow student on the bus, who said he was going to get out at the station and walk back to the campus.  I though OK, might as well.  He leant over the railing to survey the marshalling yard and took out a notebook and began jotting details down, with me thinking 'what on earth is he doing!?'  To this point I'd been oblivious to the whole phenomenon... 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #86 on: 29 July, 2011, 12:40:50 am »
The Classes 20 and 37 are also from the steam era yet still survive.  They've probably been re-engined though.

They've still got the same type of engine (some 37s were fitted with, IIRC, a straight 6 motor) but I doubt that any surviving locos are fitted with their original engines.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #87 on: 29 July, 2011, 09:04:47 am »
Well, if we're showing Class 66 pictures, here's a picture that I took on holiday a couple of weeks ago:-

P7150506 by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

No doubt there is a web-site somewhere detailing the movements of these and other locos.

I really like those Class 66 units - they are always dirty and hard working looking. I also think that they are some of the best looking locos, all function and no fucking about.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #88 on: 29 July, 2011, 10:10:39 am »
I really like those Class 66 units - they are always dirty and hard working looking. I also think that they are some of the best looking locos, all function and no fucking about.
Google for the PowerHaul Class 70 ... looks like it fell out of the ugly tree, hit every branch on the way down and was then given a good going over with the ugly stick for good measure.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #89 on: 29 July, 2011, 10:11:51 am »
Oh dear.
Getting there...

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #90 on: 29 July, 2011, 11:16:39 am »
Here is one diesel engine I would love seeing. 47813. John Peel

Heres 47813 John Peel & 47828 Joe Strummer pulling coaching stock. How cool is that ! :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #91 on: 29 July, 2011, 11:21:47 am »
Joe Strummer?  You serious?  Cool.  He was a trainspotter when young.
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #92 on: 29 July, 2011, 11:26:17 am »
Then of course there is the class 139   :-\

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #93 on: 29 July, 2011, 11:27:31 am »
Joe Strummer?  You serious?  Cool.  He was a trainspotter when young.

Yep - http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_names.php?s_name=459&index=J

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #94 on: 29 July, 2011, 11:27:51 am »
Joe Strummer a trainspotter ? No idea why or how you get your name on a diesel engine ?. I ve just seen also in my log book 47810 is called Captain Sensible lol >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #95 on: 29 July, 2011, 11:48:58 am »
"Captain Sensible" has to be the best name ever.

Were there any green 47s or 31s?

I'm trying to work out what I used to see.  Some of my earliest memories are standing at the front room window watching the trains on the sidings.  Most of the locos were BR blue and yellow, but some were green.  I liked the green ones.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #96 on: 29 July, 2011, 11:51:13 am »
To answer my own question: yes.

« Reply #97 on: 29 July, 2011, 11:55:24 am »
Surely it would make more sense if they were taking pictures of the trains, rather than just crossing them off a list, wouldn't there?

I saw a film recently about bird-spotting (I don't know the proper term) and the guy had a small book of 500 birds and was at like 496 and wanted to commit suicide when he got to 500. Strange thing to live for, I have to say. Or to die for. But then again, all people have their little quirkinesses, that's what makes lives good.

Hahah, bus spotting, that would be useful. Or like tram-spotting, would just call up my friend and ask which tram to take to somewhere and when it runs :) It's good to have friends like this.

I love trains, though. Being in them, seeing them, mostly the antique-looking and older ones, rather than these new flashy cars. More like this http://www.novinite.com/media/images/2011-04/photo_verybig_126944.jpg. Something really soothing about trains and train-tracks.
"I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to."
Elvis Presley

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #98 on: 29 July, 2011, 12:04:44 pm »
Surely it would make more sense if they were taking pictures of the trains, rather than just crossing them off a list, wouldn't there?

Some do both, but still they have the satisfaction of seeing all the trains they can even without a record other than the numbers.

« Reply #99 on: 29 July, 2011, 01:31:01 pm »
Have to say for the record - I just can't seem to get excited about diesel locos (yes even Deltics) or electric trains.   ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson