Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 254388 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #2425 on: 19 September, 2021, 08:03:47 pm »
OK, cheers!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2426 on: 19 September, 2021, 08:29:15 pm »
Yes, there was a sort of Karma soon afterwards. I think there was such a fine margin between Cox catching, and being tagged to the rope by being cannoned into that the batsman should have been given the benefit of the doubt.

Cox, of course, then had that athletic bat-back relay catch, which was stunning. And he had scored a few runs in their innings...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2427 on: 19 September, 2021, 08:43:05 pm »
Yes he seems good enough to be a South African - which he isn't!  Have to work on his happy face, though - I couldn't stand much of that!

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2428 on: 20 September, 2021, 12:21:32 am »
Went to see some proper cricket today.

« Reply #2429 on: 20 September, 2021, 10:50:25 am »
A well-used Gun and Moore, there!  But, no helmet - what'll happen if he crashes?!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2430 on: 21 September, 2021, 05:56:44 pm »
Last round of the County Championship today. 22 wickets have already fallen at Chelmsford, and it's only the first day. Essex are leading the "second division" but I suppose there's a risk of someone reporting the Chelmsford pitch. Northants have to bat better in their second innings than they did in their first to avoid an innings defeat.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #2431 on: 21 September, 2021, 06:54:37 pm »
And Northants are 23 - 5 in their second innings at the end of day 1. I'm hunting around the internet to find out the lowest ever total by a team winning by an innings - which must be on the cards tomorrow morning. In test cricket it's 153, so 17 lower than Essex's total. I can't find records for the County Championship.

« Reply #2432 on: 21 September, 2021, 07:17:07 pm »
Went to see some proper cricket today.

That's Ed. Daughter's mate's dad.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2433 on: 21 September, 2021, 07:20:43 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #2434 on: 22 September, 2021, 01:12:14 pm »
Essex won by an innings and 44 runs after their mammoth first innings total of 170. None of the reports I have seen have mentioned the possibility of points being deducted for a sub-standard pitch, but when 30 wickets fall before lunch on the second day one is inclined to raise an eyebrow.

« Reply #2435 on: 22 September, 2021, 08:43:57 pm »
Pretty similar story in Durham v Gloucestershire......

« Reply #2436 on: 22 September, 2021, 08:57:09 pm »
Meanwhile, Somerset have found some batting form to stymie The Bears' march to the title. I'm hoping for some Edgbaston atmospherics tomorrow, so we can skittle them out in the remaining 30 overs and build on a 1st innings lead.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #2437 on: 22 September, 2021, 09:54:27 pm »
Those of us there thought the right decision should have been out, because Cox has the ball in hand before colliding with Bell-Drummand, but it was all considered to be part of the same action in the same way that if you catch the ball then drop it without having control it not considered a catch.

It had no impact on the match and Smeed was caught by Cox 2 balls later.

From the replays, (which the third umpire has access to?) Cox was not in anyway likely to a) drop the catch or b) step out of bounds, despite the impact from Bell-Drummond (as observed by him not stepping out of bounds after the impact e.g. he was fully in control, inside the boundary.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #2438 on: 22 September, 2021, 10:00:42 pm »
Yes, it was simply a wrong decision.  Certainly not cricket.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #2439 on: 23 September, 2021, 07:44:12 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2021/sep/23/county-cricket-finale-lancashire-v-hampshire-warks-v-somerset-and-more-live

That must have been a great finish to watch - if you are a Lancs supporter.

Meanwhile, whether Lancashire win the championship depends on whether Warwickshire can take advantage of a batsman-dominated match against Somerset. I'd say that at the moment the money is on a draw in that one. Warks will need to bash up a load of runs in the morning and then skittle Somerset in 2 sessions. Given that the first three days have yielded over 900 runs but only 21 wickets, I think it would be fair to say that the pitch is a "belter".

The County Championship has a tendency to bring about the tensest finishes.

« Reply #2440 on: 24 September, 2021, 09:08:56 am »
Wow.
They got to 11 needed with 5 wickets remaining. Then lost one.
9 needed with 4 wickets left - one more down.
3 needed with 3 wickets left - run out.
2 needed with 2 wickets left - bowled and out comes #11
#11 survives the last ball of the over, and they get a 4 to win.

That's proper tension for the last half hour.

« Reply #2441 on: 24 September, 2021, 02:34:49 pm »
Betting enquiry anyone?!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #2442 on: 24 September, 2021, 06:46:31 pm »
Well done Warks!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/58678705

The author of that piece remarks on Somerset's seemingly perennial presence at the end of the County Championship which, curiously, they have never won. They have had some remarkable teams, probably none better than when Brian Rose was captain and had Viv Richards, Joel Garner and Ian Botham in his arsenal. I recall an occasion from yesteryear when Essex had won in 2 days, when the Championship was a 3-day game, and had to wait for the result between Notts & Somerset. Notts could overtake Essex with win.

Botham was Somerset captain and he made what I thought at the time was an overly-generous declaration. However, at the start of the final over, all 4 results were still possible and the absolute non-batsman Mike Bore was pretending to be Barry Richards and hitting the ball all over the ground. He was finally caught on the boundary by the 12th man who, IIRC, had to lean on the boundary board to take the catch. That was a close one...

And a google just revealed this: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/that-1980s-sports-blog/2019/sep/25/cricket-essex-nottinghamshire-title-county-championship-taunton

Bloody hell! 1984! I was 30.

« Reply #2443 on: 24 September, 2021, 08:17:20 pm »
30, yes but not out - and that makes all the difference!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #2444 on: 29 September, 2021, 04:22:14 pm »
Poor Lancashire are being utterly routed by Warks. in the Bob Willis Trophy.

« Reply #2445 on: 29 September, 2021, 09:42:20 pm »
Yes, I was looking at the Lancashire team, which is possibly a 2nd or 3rd eleven.  I wonder if they have lost players to the leech called IPL?  Understandable because it pays well and players have to make a living.  There is no Test cricket to deplete the side but there is no Jennings or Buttler, Anderson or Livingstone.  All very strange and low-key.  When even Sibley can hit you for 57 there's something not right!

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2446 on: 23 October, 2021, 03:36:26 pm »
Going well so far…

« Reply #2447 on: 02 November, 2021, 12:44:45 pm »
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2448 on: 13 November, 2021, 11:11:49 am »
T20 World Cup: New Zealand's Devon Conway out of final after punching bat

I had hoped this was going to be a cruelty-to-animals-inna-Ozzy-stylee story, but sadly not :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2449 on: 08 December, 2021, 08:01:05 am »
Hopefully Rory Burns, like the infamous first ball wide, has not set the tone for the whole Ashes.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson