Author Topic: Little Eye On The Provinces  (Read 380342 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Reply #1475 on: 06 April, 2017, 09:49:17 am »
*Edgbaarrrston
Getting there...

ian

« Reply #1476 on: 06 April, 2017, 10:08:37 am »
I have a Croydon postcode. My god, I live in Surrey. It's inhumane.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1477 on: 06 April, 2017, 10:16:54 am »
Rich old white people still dial telephone numbers

I wish my life was as exciting and fulfilling as theirs apparently are ::-)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1478 on: 06 April, 2017, 04:48:41 pm »
"I do consider my phone number to be a part of my identity. It has been part of my identity for 25 years.
Curious, the things people consider to be part of their identity. For instance, some people who become incredibly proficient in a foreign language will refuse to lose their native accent despite it hindering communication because they see it as part of who they are. While this is clearly a first-class first world problem, I can believe this bloke does feel he's lost a little bit of his identity from this. "I've never been a Radstock man and never will be!"

I rode into Bath about six weeks ago and rode through that development. It looks a little better in real life than the photos, but it's not "clad in the pale honey-hued stone that gives the city its timeless appeal." John Wood (Snr and Jnr) etc would probably approve of the speculative aspect, but I'm not sure they'd like the architecture. At least there's somewhere to sit and watch the river flow by.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1479 on: 06 April, 2017, 05:53:41 pm »
The geek in me attempts to decode phone numbers so I sort of understand.

A very long time ago I was quoted an outrageous price for a cab by IKEA, based on my postcode. As I'm only a furlong from the NW9 frontier, I thought I would have been charged much less it I had used a 'creative' postcode.

In the event, Giraffe got a minicab from the adjacent Tesgrot and we paid ⅓ of IKEA's quoted price.

ian

« Reply #1480 on: 06 April, 2017, 06:18:01 pm »
Only one other house shares my postcode (the benefit of living on a street with only two houses). It's still Croydonish though.

And the last time I tried to order a takeaway, the buggers wanted to charge me £2 extra because we don't have a house number.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1481 on: 06 April, 2017, 09:03:22 pm »
Well as i have an SA postcode, I must be in Swansea
Nearly 50 miles away.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1482 on: 06 April, 2017, 09:20:48 pm »
With an AB postcode, the number following the letters AB are used in an exponential function to determine shipping costs.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1483 on: 07 April, 2017, 07:28:21 am »
Bizarrely, or probably not, I received a call on Wednesday from a Birmingham number (0121...). It actually came from about two streets away, ie firmly in Bristol.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1484 on: 07 April, 2017, 01:38:42 pm »
Skipton has a Bradford postcode.  Todmorden has an Oldham postcode and a Rochdale phone number! :o
Getting there...

« Reply #1485 on: 07 April, 2017, 01:41:18 pm »
Bizarrely, or probably not, I received a call on Wednesday from a Birmingham number (0121...). It actually came from about two streets away, ie firmly in Bristol.

Probably originated on a VoIP system such as Skype which then broke out to the traditional telephone network. When you buy a breakout service for VoIP you have to choose a number and you cant always get one that relates to your geographic location. I sued to use Skype Out and the nearest to a local number I could buy was a Leeds dial code one and thats 50 miles away.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1486 on: 07 April, 2017, 01:57:54 pm »
Yes, area codes are meaningless unless you know the next few digits refer to a traditional telephone exchange (that's trainspotter stuff), and that there isn't any switching shenanigans going on at the end of the line (which you'll only know on a per-number basis, so the area code alone doesn't tell you anything).

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1487 on: 07 April, 2017, 02:06:57 pm »
we used to have a DN postcode in NE Lincs, that was a whole motorway away.  And probably a few decades as well.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #1488 on: 11 April, 2017, 11:50:24 am »
It's all happening in Welwyn Garden City.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #1489 on: 11 April, 2017, 12:24:28 pm »

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1490 on: 11 April, 2017, 04:45:02 pm »
It's helpful to be able to put a name to the problem ;D

We have been watching Moby Dig work for a while now (a side-effect of living with a child obsessed with vehicles), and became aware he was stuck a few days ago.  There have been boats loitering nearby, but apparently now Moby is to be saved! :o :)
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1491 on: 13 April, 2017, 02:14:56 am »

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1492 on: 17 April, 2017, 09:33:31 am »

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1493 on: 17 April, 2017, 10:15:58 am »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1494 on: 18 April, 2017, 12:52:38 pm »
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1495 on: 18 April, 2017, 11:22:24 pm »
Hoo Flung Dung

(it was a cyclist, naturally)
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1496 on: 19 April, 2017, 01:03:56 pm »
Harry Potter in York court for drug dealing
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/15224234.Harry_Potter_in_York_court_for_drug_dealing/?ref=mr&lp=17
Even the place he lives sounds like a Dark Arts spell.  "Acaster Malbis!" and you turn into a newt.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Guy

• Retired
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1498 on: 20 April, 2017, 02:17:38 pm »
:o
http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/hitchin-man-electrocuted-woman-s-private-parts-during-50-shades-of-grey-sex-session/story-30269076-detail/story.html

People badly need to learn what 'electrocute' means.  And how to do BDSM safely, sanely and consensually.  A bit of electrical engineering wouldn't go amiss either.  240V mains?  Fucksake.

If there's any justice in the world the device in question is being sent to Big Clive for a teardown...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1499 on: 20 April, 2017, 02:29:50 pm »
*hauls out 'electrocute' soapbox*

*realises Kim got there first*

*puts away soapbox with a heavy sigh*
Getting there...