Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 508079 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
I have to confess that if I never have to nshima (and other allied maize or cassava stodges) again, I shall be happy.

Not that we ate those as I grew up on the East Midlands, where a battered and deep-fried slice of potato was the height of carbohydrate sophistication.

That said, I rather fancy a potato fritter and chips.

Did you mean the potato slices were battered and deep fried?

I think he does.
When I was working near Hull a few years ago, one of the pubs had a Hull patty on the menu as one of the things which came with the fish and chips. That was mashed potato, battered and deep fried. I passed on the opportunity.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
The potato scallops that you sometimes see on chip shop menus are slices of potato deep-fried in batter.

I've not seen deep-fried battered mash. Is that the potato fritter?

Findus potato croquettes were a delicacy of my childhood though - similar, but the mash was rolled in lurid orange breadcrumbs rather than batter.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

I think he does.
When I was working near Hull a few years ago, one of the pubs had a Hull patty on the menu as one of the things which came with the fish and chips. That was mashed potato, battered and deep fried. I passed on the opportunity.

Hull patties are pretty nice but I might be biased as I spent the first 18 years of life there, they are a mixture of mashed potato & sage, battered & deep fried, they are something I have when I go to visit family, but they can vary from chippie to chippie, sometimes the mash is too sloppy a good pattie should be firm

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Sage is something I've only come to appreciate in the last year, since MrsT began growing it in the garden.  We've always had it dried, but freshly cut it's a hundred times better.  Same goes for all herbs, I suppose, but the sage is in the bloody hell range.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

I have to confess that if I never have to nshima (and other allied maize or cassava stodges) again, I shall be happy.

Not that we ate those as I grew up on the East Midlands, where a battered and deep-fried slice of potato was the height of carbohydrate sophistication.

Yes, a thick slice of potato, battered and deep-fried. Often served with chips, or if you were hungry, you could get chips, rice, and a fritter topped with curry sauce. Or as a quick snack for cheapos on the way back from the pub, you could get one for about 10p.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Facebook shitvert for some peddlers of booze I've never heard of before:
"Our night negroni is the classic – red vermouth, a bitter, and gin in equal parts – we call it a night negroni because we cant imagine it for breakfast."

Random commenter: "Maybe you're just not imaging hard enough"

Me: *like*
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Facebook shitvert for some peddlers of booze I've never heard of before:
"Our night negroni is the classic – red vermouth, a bitter, and gin in equal parts – we call it a night negroni because we cant imagine it for breakfast."

Random commenter: "Maybe you're just not imaging hard enough"

Me: *like*

It's always 5 o'clock night time, somewhere...  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

We are having trenches dug on the estate as they are installing fibre cables apparently. One of the team said they would be digging all of slough. I suggested that dumped in in Croydon  as they wouldn't notice another hill  ;D
the slower you go the more you see

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Northala Fields have to be the best use of builders' spoil...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northala_Fields

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
The other day I discovered another brand of expensive "ethical" chocolate. This brand's hook is that is produced 100% without child labour or slavery. Expensive of course compared to say Cadbury's but works out about the same as Green & Black or Montezuma, cos the bars are well chunky. I got myself a bar of "wafer" variety, which seemed very nice in a vaguely Eastern European way. It wasn't until I looked inside the wrapper, by which time I'd eaten most of it, that I twigged it was supposed to resemble a Kit-Kat. I'd say it isn't actually that much like a Kit-Kat, the wafer bit is more integrated into the chocolate rather than being a separate layer.

Anywayz, just as Kit-Kat seems to take its name from a Georgian club, this also has a silly name: Tony's Chocolonely. A military commission is not required to eat it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Sainsbury's sell that here...

nicknack

• Hornblower
Northala Fields have to be the best use of builders' spoil...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northala_Fields

The small hill/mound to the rear of our property that is currently trying to invade us is made up of spoil taken from a cutting that was dug about half a mile away. This was to reduce the severity of the slope on the main road so the poor old horses could drag the carts more easily. T'was over 150 years ago and has been called The Bunny Bank for yonks. There do not appear to be any bunnies living there now.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

The other day I discovered another brand of expensive "ethical" chocolate. This brand's hook is that is produced 100% without child labour or slavery. Expensive of course compared to say Cadbury's but works out about the same as Green & Black or Montezuma, cos the bars are well chunky. I got myself a bar of "wafer" variety, which seemed very nice in a vaguely Eastern European way. It wasn't until I looked inside the wrapper, by which time I'd eaten most of it, that I twigged it was supposed to resemble a Kit-Kat. I'd say it isn't actually that much like a Kit-Kat, the wafer bit is more integrated into the chocolate rather than being a separate layer.

Anywayz, just as Kit-Kat seems to take its name from a Georgian club, this also has a silly name: Tony's Chocolonely. A military commission is not required to eat it.
This is standard Dutch chocolate. The ethical stuff is just how they roll over there.
[When I bought tonnes of cocoa we bought it from Storck and they don't roll that way at all.]

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star

Yes, a thick slice of potato, battered and deep-fried. Often served with chips, or if you were hungry, you could get chips, rice, and a fritter topped with curry sauce. Or as a quick snack for cheapos on the way back from the pub, you could get one for about 10p.

Yep.

ian

You could also eat fritters and play Defender while you waited for a second helping (as they had a machine). I was fucking awesome at blowing the shit of aliens, though the grease would often make you inadvertently smart bomb everything. Defender involve some finger-skillz.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
You could also eat fritters and play Defender while you waited for a second helping (as they had a machine). I was fucking awesome at blowing the shit of aliens, though the grease would often make you inadvertently smart bomb everything. Defender involve some finger-skillz.

Is Defender the one where power ups sound suspiciously like the theme tune for obscure 70s super-spy series The Champions?

doo dooooooooo diddle do do diddle do do diddle lil diddle lil diddle lil diddle lil do doooo

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

ian

Is Defender the one where power ups sound suspiciously like the theme tune for obscure 70s super-spy series The Champions?

doo dooooooooo diddle do do diddle do do diddle lil diddle lil diddle lil diddle lil do doooo

Sam

Not sure, but it had a very manic set of sound effects and it you needed twelve fingers to play it properly. Ten greasy fingers were sub-optimal.

In other news, I was going to make some pizza for tea tonight but the yeast, which admittedly hadn't be used for a while (as the oven was broke), emitted an odour that my wife mistook for a cat fart. Plan B for the evening meal it is then.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Some wag where I worked in the late 70s wrote a primitive version of Defender.  It was eventually verboten because people were breaking keyboards.

I've just had a delivery.......

https://www.fruitpig.co.uk
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
When you're making panko, the best way to tell if it's done is to keep opening the oven every so often until your glasses don't fog up any more.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I made crumble. Only it wasn't. It was horrible and floury and practically inedible.
I have no frikkin idea what I did wrong as I used the same recipe I always do.. ...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I bought some Thornton's chocolates for D just because.

That was a large box, for moderate cash, but not much chocolate at all. (24 chocolates, 262g, £6.50).

I suspect my review on Sainsbury's website might not pass their 'standards' so I thought I'd share it here...

<<'Well Spaced'
These chocolates are tasty, if rather sweet.
Thornton's seem to have placed a modest amount of chocolate in quite a large box.
These chocolates make an excellent gift when it's the thought that counts.>>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Not exactly to do with food, but the place my son's been doing a summer job at gave all its "interns" those coffee cups that are reusable but styled like disposable plastic ones (and will still end up as plastic waste in the end). The cups are made by a firm called "ecoffee", presumably meant to be read as "eco/coffee" but how could you not read it as "e-coffee"? Should be sized in mAh not ml.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

https://twitter.com/john_lichfield/status/1431661514247786497?s=20

"Only in France, part 439.
Here is a 24 hr refrigerated Vending machine with garlic, rillettes de canard, honey, onions etc in Brittany. Just in case you feel like cooking at 2.45am."

A response to the death of the local shop or the cause of it ?

It looks better stocked than most BRITISH supermarkets at the moment.....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark