Author Topic: Pronunciation that makes you cringe  (Read 148080 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Pronunciation that makes you cringe
« Reply #375 on: 03 April, 2017, 06:19:57 pm »
Another one prompted by R2:  Firm Bottom referred to the Kiki Dee song Amoureuse as if it should rhyme with 'moose'.  I'd bet she says massoose instead of masseuse.  And probably refers to male masseurs as massooses.  :facepalm:

I think that's a USAnian affectation; it bugs me bigly when people refer to the singer on a Several of tracks on the first Velvet Underground album as "German chantoose Nico".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #376 on: 20 May, 2017, 08:22:10 pm »
Stephen Mangan on the Fake News Show reckons the town in Aberdeenshire, Crathes, is pronounced 'Crayths'.

« Reply #377 on: 22 May, 2017, 10:03:10 am »
Mrs Q pronounces palatable thus: "Puh-latt-abble".
Any fool knows it is "pallet-abble"
Isn't it?

« Reply #378 on: 22 May, 2017, 10:44:12 am »
It is.
Rust never sleeps

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #379 on: 30 May, 2017, 01:03:25 pm »
Awre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awre

I've not been there, but I have seen signposts pointing to it. How the blurry eck am I supposed to pronounce it?
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #381 on: 30 May, 2017, 05:58:57 pm »
Booie is East Anglian.  The US accent owes quite a bit to East Anglia.

If you have trouble pronouncing French place names don't expect your satnav to help you.  Mine makes 'Rouen' completely unrecognisable as a word of any kind.
Move Faster and Bake Things

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #382 on: 30 May, 2017, 06:19:43 pm »

If you have trouble pronouncing French place names don't expect your satnav to help you.  Mine makes 'Rouen' completely unrecognisable as a word of any kind.

Satnav can be WEIRD everywhere! Last week it told my driver to 'Turn right onto the Aten Undred' and only my local knowledge recognised this as the A1000...

American satnavs name Colindeep Lane Co-LINE-deep Lane.

« Reply #383 on: 30 May, 2017, 08:28:19 pm »

Satnav can be WEIRD everywhere! Last week it told my driver to 'Turn right onto the Aten Undred' and only my local knowledge recognised this as the A1000...

I am aware of certain satnavs that like to include the postcode when they read out the address or instructions, but haven't quite got the hang of splitting the letters and numbers up - "Turn left onto Trafalgar Road Sehten."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #385 on: 31 May, 2017, 11:02:40 am »

I am aware of certain satnavs that like to include the postcode when they read out the address or instructions, but haven't quite got the hang of splitting the letters and numbers up - "Turn left onto Trafalgar Road Sehten."

Shame they don't yet have an algorithm that translates Sehten to Grennich...

« Reply #386 on: 01 June, 2017, 10:00:05 am »
Awre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awre

I've not been there, but I have seen signposts pointing to it. How the blurry eck am I supposed to pronounce it?

When driving down to see my sister-in-law in Kentcestershire last weekend, we passed, within minutes, signs for Wrotham, Ightham and Trottiscliffe.  (Root-em, Item and Trosley, for the uninitiated.)  :thumbsup:

« Reply #387 on: 02 June, 2017, 05:18:54 pm »

Ridewithgps voice instructions try their best with road numbering: recently, in the Lugo area of Spain, LU-P500 was translated to "loopy five hundred"

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #388 on: 10 August, 2017, 01:02:14 pm »
The France Info radio station have their own app and refer to it as "l'appli mobile France Info", which always comes across as "la Playmobil France Info".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #389 on: 01 September, 2017, 10:15:14 am »
Dear American friends, there is an 'L' in solder. Please use it!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #390 on: 03 October, 2017, 08:24:37 am »
Yet again heard someone - on the box, natch - say FREquented when they meant freQUENTed. Bleh.

« Reply #391 on: 03 October, 2017, 11:03:22 am »

That one gets me too.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #392 on: 03 October, 2017, 12:51:42 pm »

My great aunt Fil pronounces Trafalgar as "truffle-gar"  :)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #393 on: 11 November, 2017, 06:21:38 pm »
If TV's Reeta Chakrabarti refers to the German motor-car maker that uses a three-pointed star on its badge as "Mercy-dees" once more I may turn violent.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #394 on: 11 November, 2017, 07:07:29 pm »
I am getting a bit discombobulated by the on-board bus stop announcements putting the stress in the wrong places eg 'Gondor GARdens' or 'Colindale AVEnue'.

This makes the announcement much less useful as there are many streets called *** Gardens.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #395 on: 13 November, 2017, 02:19:47 pm »

That one gets me too.
This one! 

And, why do they pronounce 'mirror' as 'mere'? 
Getting there...

« Reply #396 on: 13 November, 2017, 03:24:09 pm »

There's an 'r' in 'solder' which I don't pronounce.  I've not had any rhotacizing Americans complain about that to me.

I don't have the resources to check the etymology, but it appears there was an old French 'soudeur' along the line somewhere.  Maybe the dialects of some of the US settlers still reflected that, and that was the one that stuck. Vive la différence!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #397 on: 13 November, 2017, 06:28:56 pm »

That one gets me too.
This one! 

Step forward His Bobness.  That many lyrics sites have him singing "She's delicate and seems like veneer" in Visions Of Johanna shows just how guilty he is.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #398 on: 13 November, 2017, 06:42:52 pm »

That one gets me too.
This one!

I looked this one up last night.  The evidence isn't entirely clear, but suggests that, as usual, it's a case of the leftpondians sticking with the original pronunciation while the Brits went and Frenched it up, but that doesn't make it any less grating.

Anyway.... I propose a moratorium on previous pronunciations, and that we all adopt the following system:

Solder ('sole-derr') for an alloy primarily composed of tin and lead, and as a verb for joining metal using a low-melting-point filler.

Sodder ('sod-er') for all non-lead-based alloys optimistically intended to be used for soldering electrical connections, and as a verb for failing to make such connections in a satisfactory manner.

Hence: "My cheap shitty pink USB charger from China stopped working because of crappy sodder joints, so I had to re-solder them."

Or: "Ach, you've soddered it!" "But I'm using 60:40!" "Try turning the soldering iron temperature down a bit and use more flux..."

It's easy to remember...  "L is for lead" and "sodder's a right sod to work with".

I think it's more 'me-orr', which just makes me imagine Eyore's obnoxious younger sibling...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #399 on: 14 November, 2017, 09:26:02 am »

There's an 'r' in 'solder' which I don't pronounce.  I've not had any rhotacizing Americans complain about that to me.

I don't have the resources to check the etymology, but it appears there was an old French 'soudeur' along the line somewhere.  Maybe the dialects of some of the US settlers still reflected that, and that was the one that stuck. Vive la différence!

Old old French has it as souldre, so they lost the L and the UK lost the U.  Confusingly, souder also means to weld.

This bloke's missing Ts make me wince: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM6mzE5lQ0w&t=201s bu wha do you expec these days?