Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 333679 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #875 on: 27 August, 2015, 12:03:57 am »
Note to self: put extra tea bags on next week's shopping list for impending visit to the Tea-Free Zone on the other side of the Atlantic.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #876 on: 27 August, 2015, 06:33:21 am »
The conditions in my new workplace are quite horrific.
Getting there...

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #877 on: 27 August, 2015, 07:01:05 am »
That's terrible. 

I have a lump in my throat.

Is there a DEC campaign I can donate to?
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #878 on: 27 August, 2015, 07:42:13 am »
If you like your tea where you stand the spoon and it dissolves in the tea before your very eyes, I recommend Barry's Tea.   

Otherwise a secret stash of those cheap bags of sweepings that pass for tea that you buy in Wilkinsons named after some insignificant place in the north of England should suffice...     :demon:

ian

« Reply #879 on: 27 August, 2015, 09:54:39 am »
I just pulled out a nice shirt for a meeting later today and realised that I forgot to ask for it to be ironed the last time it was cleaned. Now it's all creased.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #880 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:12:46 am »
If you like your tea where you stand the spoon and it dissolves in the tea before your very eyes, I recommend Barry's Tea.   

Otherwise a secret stash of those cheap bags of sweepings that pass for tea that you buy in Wilkinsons named after some insignificant place in the north of England should suffice...     :demon:

Didn't realise Wilko's were selling Lancashire Tea now. I thought it was still confined to the pound shops ;)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #881 on: 27 August, 2015, 05:47:01 pm »
Back on showers - there should be a special circle of hell for the people who install those showers, which are controlled by a lever which goes left and right for hot & cold, and up and down for on/off, into compact and bijjou shower cubicles (just right for you to whack with your elbows etc while in the middle of ablutions).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #882 on: 30 August, 2015, 08:54:38 am »
Back on showers - there should be a special circle of hell for the people who install those showers, which are controlled by a lever which goes left and right for hot & cold, and up and down for on/off, into compact and bijjou shower cubicles (just right for you to whack with your elbows etc while in the middle of ablutions).
Add to that any water control do dah with confusing and/or illegible symbols to show hot and cold. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #883 on: 31 August, 2015, 11:54:36 am »
I saw the following on a friend's FB page and feel the need to share it.

My son discovered the latest 1st world problem at dinner time: Saving the best 'til last and then being too full to eat it
;D
216km from Marsh Gibbon

ian

« Reply #884 on: 31 August, 2015, 06:37:02 pm »
Add to that any water control do dah with confusing and/or illegible symbols to show hot and cold.

On the grounds that Her Highness, Princess of the Asbestos Palace and High Priestess of the Kingdom of a Poorly Executed DIY forbid me a magical computerized Japanese robo-toilet during the dark era of what has come to be known as The Refurbishment, our shower does have a digital temperature input and a on-off switch that cannot be elbow actuated. It also has an awesome blue light and, as is known, blue LEDs are better than any other colour. This is what all showers should be like.

Of course, one day it will break and electrocute me and then piss cold water over my naked twitching body while I confess to just about everything.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #885 on: 31 August, 2015, 06:42:52 pm »
^ I was just reading about digital shower controls and wondered why... apart from pissing money up the wall.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #886 on: 31 August, 2015, 06:57:16 pm »

This includes tiny dark blue/red dots.  Small things don't have colour, especially in badly lit bathrooms!

ian

« Reply #887 on: 31 August, 2015, 07:29:42 pm »
^ I was just reading about digital shower controls and wondered why... apart from pissing money up the wall.

Well, other than the power cut (when the water had a courtesy of going off before soaking me in cold), I've had a year of perfectly heated showers. No fiddling with thermostats and mixers, no mid-shower wawawaAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHH as the water erupts magma hot and then plunges to Siberian cold. Just a perfect forty-whatever degrees of rainfall. And a big blue light that lights up steady when it's safe to step and an emergency plaintive beep and flashy blue light if anything threatens the temperature by the merest fraction of a degree.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #888 on: 31 August, 2015, 07:31:20 pm »
On the grounds that Her Highness, Princess of the Asbestos Palace and High Priestess of the Kingdom of a Poorly Executed DIY forbid me a magical computerized Japanese robo-toilet during the dark era of what has come to be known as The Refurbishment, our shower does have a digital temperature input and a on-off switch that cannot be elbow actuated. It also has an awesome blue light and, as is known, blue LEDs are better than any other colour.

Blue LEDs are strictly old-skool, daddio.  Only my older Seagate external HDDs have such things; the most recently purchased one has a funky white illuminated strip about a centimetre long.  It's probably tinted plastic with a filament bulb from an old bike light behind it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #889 on: 31 August, 2015, 07:59:53 pm »
As a disciple of the Church of Cupertino, I believe I'm supposed to have disavowed the LED and accepted the purity of visual silence and having to guess whether a device is on or off by prodding it and seeing if it bites. I don't want to have risk my toesies in the shower. They're terribly sensitive thermostats. Plus we have a vintage boiler of uncertain temperament at the Asbestos Palace.

Anyway, if that blade of light starts to swish backwards and forwards you've got a first generation Cylon (if I remember my Battlestar Galactica correctly).

The downside is that I expect other showers to behave. I remember being in Africa earlier this year, in some place that had a lot of consonants but not a lot of hot water (according to the sign the water was courtesy of Scotland, so give them a hand, they've finally figured out what to do with all that rain). Anyway in the blissful few seconds of heat I opened my mouth for a celebratory gargle. Then I remembered it was African death water and had to hop around spitting it out like I was faulty fountain, while at the same time the water dropped to a temperature that suggested it was actually being pumped all the way from Kilmarnock.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #890 on: 31 August, 2015, 10:22:43 pm »
Tesco just delivered frozen peas instead of barakta-friendly ice cream.  Disappointing bastards.

« Reply #891 on: 01 September, 2015, 02:28:38 pm »
Ever since The Man replaced the Victorian water mains around here the water pressure went all to pot and the difference between being frozen utterly to DETH under the shower and being boiled alive is about 0.00001 degrees of cold tap rotation.

If your shower mixer is getting mains-pressure cold on one side, and gravity-pressure HW from a loft tank on t'other side, this is never going to end well.

Even a thermostatic mixer will struggle to deal with this.
We have no cold water header tank. Cold is straight from the mains. Hot water is one floor up from the shower.

We are installing something which heats up the cold water as it goes.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #892 on: 01 September, 2015, 09:39:34 pm »
Tesco just delivered frozen peas instead of barakta-friendly ice cream.  Disappointing bastards.

Hmm, that's an interesting substitution!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #893 on: 01 September, 2015, 10:03:29 pm »
Google have lost their serifs.  >:( >:( >:(
It is simpler than it looks.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #894 on: 03 September, 2015, 07:10:56 am »
According to the 7 am pips, my wrist watch is 7 seconds fast.   >:(
Christ!  I could have left for work too early. 
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #895 on: 03 September, 2015, 09:40:29 am »
The coffee shop had neither bacon nor sausages for a breakfast sandwich this morning

« Reply #896 on: 03 September, 2015, 05:42:57 pm »
Neither Waitrose nor Tesco had buckwheat flour. How do the bastards expect me to make pancakes?

ian

« Reply #897 on: 03 September, 2015, 08:04:54 pm »
All three coffeebots on my subdeck of the mothership required attention today so I had to get the turbogravitor to a higher subdeck for my caffeine fix.

« Reply #898 on: 09 September, 2015, 03:36:07 pm »
I have run out of filters for the coffee machine and have left my Aeropress at my Mum and Dads. I may have to drink instant coffee unless I can find a cafeteria I stashed at the back of one of the cupboards.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #899 on: 09 September, 2015, 05:43:15 pm »
I have run out of filters for the coffee machine and have left my Aeropress at my Mum and Dads. I may have to drink instant coffee unless I can find a cafeteria I stashed at the back of one of the cupboards.

Having a cafeteria in your cupboards seems excessive.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.