Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 333608 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #1500 on: 23 January, 2017, 06:51:07 pm »
I hate sprouts,  I did like them once.  The sprouts were cooked in bacon or lardons with sliced shallots.

Then throw away the sprouts.

« Reply #1501 on: 23 January, 2017, 07:33:12 pm »
Had mini sprouts in butter with shallots and garlic last night. Delicious! The steak was a teensy weensy bit overdone. Can never find frozen  potato balls Pommes Noisettes when you need them, had to make do with Duchess.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1502 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:10:27 pm »
I love farting.
Send me all of your unwanted sprouts.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1503 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:25:42 pm »
How about mushy peas? Proper farting tackle . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1504 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:50:03 pm »
I'm a big fan of all the brassicas, and also the leafy bitter greens, but my OH can't stand them; I think this is a non-supertaster/supertaster divide that won't ever be bridged.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1505 on: 24 January, 2017, 12:20:45 am »
I'm a big fan of all the brassicas, and also the leafy bitter greens, but my OH can't stand them; I think this is a non-supertaster/supertaster divide that won't ever be bridged.

I dunno, given advanced gene therapy it might one day be possible for anyone to appreciate the mingingness of sprouts.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1506 on: 24 January, 2017, 12:47:50 am »
My local Sainsbury's Online appears to have run out of vegetarian haggis and it's not even Burns' Night.

This is only a First World problem because posh people only eat haggis on special occasions...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1507 on: 24 January, 2017, 01:44:13 am »
My local Sainsbury's Online appears to have run out of vegetarian haggis and it's not even Burns' Night.

This is only a First World problem because posh people only eat haggis on special occasions...

FTFY...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ian

« Reply #1508 on: 24 January, 2017, 09:15:16 am »

I dunno, given advanced gene therapy it might one day be possible for anyone to appreciate the mingingness of sprouts.

CRISPR is your friend. I confess to being a brassica addict (and as I spent years disassembling their biochemistry and genetics I can bore anyone about why they taste like they do). Cauliflower wins all vegetables. Brassicas, not even sprouts, don't really make me fart (though I confess the stink of boiling brassicas is unpleasant). Beans*, which I also love, however lead to painfully seismic cheek wobbling to the extent I can't eat them.

*broad, flageolet, haricot, and butter beans excepted – lentils, kidney beans, etc. and the results are nuclear.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1509 on: 24 January, 2017, 12:47:12 pm »
Good heavens!
To lock or unlock the door on this little rented Fiat van i have to insert the key into the lock.
Then I have to turn it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1510 on: 24 January, 2017, 12:59:36 pm »

This is only a First World problem because English people only eat haggis on special occasions...

FTFY...
FTFbothofY

CRISPR is your friend. I confess to being a brassica addict (and as I spent years disassembling their biochemistry and genetics I can bore anyone about why they taste like they do). Cauliflower wins all vegetables. Brassicas, not even sprouts, don't really make me fart (though I confess the stink of boiling brassicas is unpleasant).
Cauliflower is really boring unless curried or smothered in cheesy cheese sauce with all the cheese. But you can stop it stinking while boiling it by adding a splash of milk to the water.

I like risotto, but if I like it better if I put wine in the stock, but I don't really drink much these days so then I have leftover wine that goes off unless I make risotto every other night until it's all gone, so maybe I should try buying those tiny bottles of wine, or maybe a box, but that might be naff.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1511 on: 24 January, 2017, 01:16:56 pm »
I like risotto, but if I like it better if I put wine in the stock, but I don't really drink much these days so then I have leftover wine that goes off unless I make risotto every other night until it's all gone, so maybe I should try buying those tiny bottles of wine, or maybe a box, but that might be naff.

Just get the 1/3-size bottles of cooking wine from the herbs and spices section in the supermarket. Price per unit volume is no more expensive than the cheaper half-decent bottles, and there's less wastage.

If you can, get the ones from Sainsbury's as they use glass bottles so you can use a vacuum stopper if you've got one.
Morrisons use plastic bottles, so they need to be kept in the fridge, or used in one go, depending on what you're cooking.

HTH.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #1512 on: 24 January, 2017, 01:21:25 pm »
Why do people say that sprouts are horrid as if it's the people who love them that are in the wrong?

I dislike folk music but I appreciate that there must be merit in it, and that it's my lack of taste that is at fault, not the music*

*This is not actually true, Folk music is shit, but you get my point.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1513 on: 24 January, 2017, 01:58:39 pm »
Good heavens!
To lock or unlock the door on this little rented Fiat van i have to insert the key into the lock.
Then I have to turn it.

The "FFS Italian electrics" thread is over in Vroom.  Probably.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1514 on: 24 January, 2017, 02:06:56 pm »
Why do people say that sprouts are horrid as if it's the people who love them that are in the wrong?

Perhaps because people who don't have part of their sense of taste missing tend to have had sprouts forced on them in childhood by someone who does, and are rightly disgruntled about the whole thing.

Or because SCIENCE says the nasty bitter taste is there, it's just some people can't detect it.  That's the closest we're going to get to objective truth on the matter.

As a genetic lack of a receptor, I see it as equivalent to colourblindness:  I don't go around accusing people of being *wrong* for going on about things being purple rather than blue, or arbitrary differences in the shades of $generic_poo_colour, so it's only fair they accept my word for it when I talk about what sprouts really taste like.  Which doesn't preclude them loving the things, any more than being colourblind precludes me liking primary red because I think it's a nice understated dark colour.  We just have to accept that we're being weird.

It's one of those things like delayed sleep phase, which is a random biological thing that people can't help, but society - lead by the people who don't have the thing - has attached a negative value judgement to, as if people who can go to sleep early, or who can't taste the bitter of green veg, are somehow superior to the others.  I think it's only right that we make noise about how these things work, in the hope that more people become aware that they're innate things that can't be helped, and stop making people miserable trying to make them conform to someone else's biological convenience.

ian

« Reply #1515 on: 24 January, 2017, 02:16:49 pm »
I never boil cauliflower or broccoli. Sometimes I give it a quick twirl in the microwave to hurry it along, but I either break it up and saute, roast, or smother in cheesy goodness. It makes a quite good pilau, sauted with roughly ground spices and a good dose of turmeric, to go with curry as an alternative to rice.

I did, as a small child, eat a sprout that was mushy on the outside and frozen in the middle (i.e. cooked the traditional British way). Well, it got half way down before I ejected it with some force and it hit my mother smack in the middle of the forehead. I think that was traumatic for us both. It was quite a few years (about thirty) before I could eat them again.

On the wine front, I drink it from the box and I'm a classy kind of guy. If we have guests and I'm trying to make an impression, I'll even pour it into a glass first.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1516 on: 24 January, 2017, 02:18:37 pm »
Good heavens!
Then I have to turn it.

And
Because the key does not flip shut into the fob,  I have just stabbed myself in the scrotum when I sat down for a "coffee" in the services.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1517 on: 24 January, 2017, 02:57:11 pm »

Make wine cubes.

« Reply #1518 on: 24 January, 2017, 03:21:00 pm »
It's one of those things like delayed sleep phase, which is a random biological thing that people can't help, but society - lead by the people who don't have the thing - has attached a negative value judgement to, as if people who can go to sleep early [, or who can't taste the bitter of green veg,] are somehow superior to the others.
While not disputing the existence of real DSPD, it is not hard to see that many young people's similar symptoms are brought about by equally unhealthy doses of fecklessness and Monster, poor sleep hygiene and a powerful peer-driven addiction to Call Of Duty.

« Reply #1519 on: 24 January, 2017, 04:27:50 pm »
Good heavens!
Then I have to turn it.
What is this "key" of which you talk. Is it related to the thing you have to have about your person for the doors to unlock for you that also works for starting the car?

Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #1520 on: 24 January, 2017, 04:38:32 pm »
Good heavens!
Then I have to turn it.

And
Because the key does not flip shut into the fob,  I have just stabbed myself in the scrotum when I sat down for a "coffee" in the services.

My coffee has just hit the keyboard!    ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1521 on: 24 January, 2017, 04:52:41 pm »
It's one of those things like delayed sleep phase, which is a random biological thing that people can't help, but society - lead by the people who don't have the thing - has attached a negative value judgement to, as if people who can go to sleep early [, or who can't taste the bitter of green veg,] are somehow superior to the others.
While not disputing the existence of real DSPD, it is not hard to see that many young people's similar symptoms are brought about by equally unhealthy doses of fecklessness and Monster, poor sleep hygiene and a powerful peer-driven addiction to Call Of Duty.

CITATION NEEDED

I've ranted about this before.  Current thinking is that teenagers have delayed sleep phase for evolutionary reasons, perhaps to ensure that someone's awake in the paleolithic village to keep an eye out for predators, or so they can have lots of sex with each other or something.  Regardless of whether or not that reasoning is bollocks, it's clear that the effect is real, and that it has nothing to do with REM albums or computer games that have only existed for a couple of decades, and could be played at any time of day anyway.

But old people get to make the decisions, which means they're clearly morally superior and anyone whose brain works best from midday till 3am is feckless and needs to be belittled and deprived of sleep until they ...grow out of it, presumably?

#firstworldproblems

« Reply #1522 on: 24 January, 2017, 05:48:28 pm »
Sorry, I should have added, "In my experience of working with young people in a Further Education establishment in a deprived area,", and I was referring to the vile caffeinated drink Monster rather than the REM album. I did get a good yank on that chain though, didn't I?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1523 on: 24 January, 2017, 08:06:54 pm »
Sprouts taste good because they are bitter, not because you can't taste the bitterness.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #1524 on: 24 January, 2017, 08:21:08 pm »
I did get a good yank on that chain though, didn't I?

Is this like when A&E doctors bang on self-righteously about h*lm*ts while being blissfully ignorant of the Actual Science on the topic?