Author Topic: RIP Evernote App?  (Read 2142 times)

Diesel

• or Richard
RIP Evernote App?
« on: 09 December, 2023, 09:03:00 am »
I've used the App Evernote for years on PC, Android and iPhone. But it is becoming chargeable so time to move. So I get to start a new app/ system from scratch and do a better job of organising it, making it search friendly, etc

1. Any suggestions on what to use - Apple Notes is the obvious choice as I have an iPhone and it is free/ integrated - or anything else?

2. Any tips on how to use/ how to organise. Anything you would do now if you were to start again with a 'notes' app?

Re: RIP Evernote App?
« Reply #1 on: 09 December, 2023, 11:33:04 am »
Google Keep? Works fine for me, with Android app or browser. Or with a Google speaker.

ian

« Reply #2 on: 09 December, 2023, 12:16:51 pm »
If you're part of the Appleverse, Notes is fine, the only downside is that storage is limited unless you have additional, though if it's just text, probably not a biggie. I keep a lot of PDFs and stuff.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 09 December, 2023, 12:32:06 pm »
I too was an Evernote user until a couple of months ago (happily paying a few dollars a month on an old subscription rate) with a PC, Android phone & tablet.   I just found that the endless "update and improvements" were just becoming unnecessary bells and whistles, presumably to be able to charge more to both small and large users.

My use is not much more than a place to keep notes and information in a handy accessible form - purely personal, I gave up working years ago.

After trying various free and paid-for offerings I've just gone for Google Keep - it's free, backs-up and links the 3 devices seamlessly and does what I want.  Downsides are : no text formatting, basic word processing or embedding of images; you can't re-order notes - they're chronolgical with latest first; the "labels" feature works to create different folders of notes but is again pretty basic.   

Most of the trial offerings took over how you work (which was why I left Evernote) . . . . all I want is an electronic pencil and notebook - my diary/address book/email etc is run in Time & Chaos Intellect which was a modest one-off purchase product and is brilliant (a bit like ACT! and Lotus Organiser from about 30 years ago used to be) 

Keep works for me.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 09 December, 2023, 12:58:46 pm »
Google Keep? Works fine for me, with Android app or browser. Or with a Google speaker.

The problem is that as a quite good Google product, it's only a matter of time before it ends up in the Google Graveyard, so I'd be reluctant to commit to it in a big way.

Mostly I tend to do this sort of thing with text files (add syncthing to taste), or emails to myself.  Or if I'm feeling posh, pages on a private wiki.

ian

« Reply #5 on: 09 December, 2023, 01:16:09 pm »
I can't think of anything that Apple Notes doesn't do. I've played with One Note (brings the usual Microsoft non-useability paradigm to the party) and Evernote before it started to sprawl and try and do everything. It has an admirable Apple simplicity, text, documents, attachments in folders, smart tags, etc. I like to scribble and doodle so I have an iPad and Apple Pencil. I like the fact that it'll do OCR and everything, so I can turn an image full of Chinese text (Chinese organizations love this approach to hosting documents) into a rough English text (not really a Notes thing, just an Apple-y thing).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 09 December, 2023, 01:19:36 pm »

I've started moving every over to self hosted next cloud. Thus taking full control of all my own data.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #7 on: 09 December, 2023, 01:27:30 pm »
I'd used Evernote (free version) to sync notes between Macs and android for a long time but it became more and more bloated and slower to load, plus the restrictive device limit.

Finally took the plunge a couple of months ago and moved everything over to Microsoft OneNote.  Slightly different folder hierarchy but soon got used to it.  I can now sync notes between all my Macs and android phones/tablets and the apps load far quicker.  I wish I'd made the move years ago!
The sound of one pannier flapping

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #8 on: 09 December, 2023, 05:59:31 pm »
Thanks, sounds like a toss up between Google Keep and Apple Notes for me. I'll take a look (I hadn't considered Keep so thanks  :thumbsup:)

« Reply #9 on: 09 December, 2023, 06:18:31 pm »
I've been using an open source free app called Joplin for the last few years. https://joplinapp.org

Works on Android, Linux, Windows not sure about Apple. Saves the database to Dropbox, Onedrive etc.

Formatting is done with Markdown.

Afasoas

« Reply #10 on: 12 December, 2023, 01:47:29 pm »

I've started moving every over to self hosted next cloud. Thus taking full control of all my own data.

J

This. Used for quite some years now. Calendar and contact synchronisation too.
There are hosted flavours available for a nominal monthly fee. This means your data is portable so you can periodically back it up and if the current provider goes bust or substanitally increases their fees, you can move elsewhere.

That said, I self-host.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #11 on: 20 April, 2024, 11:54:30 am »

J

I have done the same which is great for privacy, but I'm not convinced an old synology in the attic is as secure as $MegaCorps server farms from the continuity PoV.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 07:03:28 pm »
I need to yt basic instructions on one note.
I'm currently failing to see how I can structure things, or save. :facepalm:
simplicity, truth, equality, peace