Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 300318 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
It's same for all these utilities, where you could – and I'm sure some people do – spend your life searching for and rafting cheap intro deals and griping to the internet when it goes wrong.

When we had FTTP installed to our remote rural location* in Eryri (Snowdonia), the choice of broadband provider was a no-brainer. Only 5 or 6 companies offered FTTP. BT was the cheapest by far.

Paying £39.99 per month for 150Mbps/30Mbps - it's been faultless :thumbsup:

*no mobile phone coverage either

If you're happy with the current quality of service you can phone up and make some noises about moving to a different provider and they'll give you some sort of lower price.

I literally got an email from my provider saying "we're going to increase your bill. One phone call is all it takes to stop us". They've correctly gambled that I'll pay an extra £x a month in return for avoiding making that call. Money well spent.

... And my parents did, if I recall, try to the cream trimphone when we got our first phone line back in the mid-eighties and, despite the generous half dozen options in the BT catalogue, they got a grey rotary phone because that was all they had.
I recall my parents having a trimphone at least 40 years ago. And cream ones can still be bought -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133764817930?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=133764817930&targetid=885285326120&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1007009&poi=&campaignid=10219897599&mkgroupid=103415893353&rlsatarget=pla-885285326120&abcId=1063846&merchantid=118919160&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7pKFBhDUARIsAFUoMDZKKOyOMw-Iz_9s0kYlIfLPujQzqZclM-9znsPq_zggkeNoAZZbM8MaAle9EALw_wcB

I saw an ivory (colour, not material) one for a tenner plus postage in Bognor Regis. Strikes me as the right sort of place to still have trimphones.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Our Trimphone was two-tone green. WRT broadband, I’m sticking with Vodafone as we both have mobiles with them, after moving from Plusnet after some 15 years. When the latter were bought by BT their customer service went south. And whilst Vodafone has offshored customer services, it’s in Cairo, and I’ve found it very good, with comprehensible English.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

I suspect they've changed their mind on the need for a trimphone in the intervening years. Getting a phone was very exciting for a little me though, though absolutely no one was allowed to use it. You even reached for it and DON'T YOU DARE USE THAT PHONE! would wham right into your ear. Even if my mother was at work, she knew, and boy could her voice travel. Other than me, it's the only thing in my family that has travelled.

I saved up all that non-phone goodwill until I was at university and I had a girlfriend who gone back to the US for the holidays.

Thirty-odd years later my mother is still bringing that bill up. I would mind less, but I paid that bloody bill. All £750ish of it.

With broadband, I've never used any service other than the installation. All I know about my BT service is that it has been rock solid and delivers the speed as promised (which it should, the cabinet is at the bottom of the road). Like most people these days, the main fear is the interregnum, the yawning abyss that could open between providers. I realise I'm entirely reliant on the internet for work, music, and TV. Pretty much everything, other than smut, I'm still one for the magazines for that. I like the layout. That's weird, if you think about it, growing up as I did when awe came in the shape of a Commodore 64.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Quote from: Mr Larrington
9.6k?  Laptop?  Fookin' luxury!  2400 and a VT220.  Although we did have EDT at the other end of the line.
Hah!  VT100* and a 300 baud modem and a line editor.

*Actually as it was the NHS it was more likely to be a Plessey or C-ITOH cheap knock-off copy.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
I suspect they've changed their mind on the need for a trimphone in the intervening years. Getting a phone was very exciting for a little me though, though absolutely no one was allowed to use it. You even reached for it and DON'T YOU DARE USE THAT PHONE! would wham right into your ear. Even if my mother was at work, she knew, and boy could her voice travel. Other than me, it's the only thing in my family that has travelled.

I saved up all that non-phone goodwill until I was at university and I had a girlfriend who gone back to the US for the holidays.

Thirty-odd years later my mother is still bringing that bill up. I would mind less, but I paid that bloody bill. All £750ish of it.

When I was a Small, I was dragged out of the house of a Sunday evening, down to the phone box where my parents would call my Granny and Aunt ( they lived together, the daughter having never left home ). They were posh and had a phone in the house.

'Banff 2698' they would say, on answering.
Over the pips, we would shove coins into the apparatus to enable a conversation.

Around my final years of primary school, late '70s, I got home from school to find Mother Dear hopping from foot to foot with excitment.
'Can you see anything different?' she gasped between squeals of pleasure.
No, I could not.
Then it was pointed out. The trimphone basking in the Spotlight of Glory.

Like you say, it was Not to be Used upon pain of death, except for the weekly call to Banff 2698.

Some years later, in the mid-80s, I returned home from my first year at Uni, with an Apple ][ computer and a 300 baud modem in hand.
I rigged some clandestine phone extension wiring to my room, and used the dial-up connection back to the uni mainframes to play Dungeons text-based games.
My parents got a bill for several hundreds of pounds which they could not understand.
I stirred my cornflakes furiously, and shuffled off quietly.
They complained to BT that there must be some mistake, and after some negotiation they got a substantial discount on the bill.

I think I did eventually fess up to that one.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Phone calls were VERY expensive around 1980.
I expended a fair proportion of my PSO income Phoning the Parents.

ian

I did not enjoy paying that £750 phone bill, as it basically ate my entire summer earnings (fortunately I was moving on a PhD, so had the benefits of a modest stipend, actually a decent one). It also learned me how to use the internet and exciting things like email and chat. I know it was £750 because my mother still reminds me of the actual amount.

When I moved back to the UK from my first sojourn in the US years later I remember the battle of the phone line, a peril of wanting to use the internet in a house shared with three Irish girls capable of holding six phone calls simultaneously. The dawn of ubiquitous mobile telephony couldn't have come sooner. I really wish it had.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
It's same for all these utilities, where you could – and I'm sure some people do – spend your life searching for and rafting cheap intro deals and griping to the internet when it goes wrong.

When we had FTTP installed to our remote rural location* in Eryri (Snowdonia), the choice of broadband provider was a no-brainer. Only 5 or 6 companies offered FTTP. BT was the cheapest by far.

Did they turn up to install it in the same month as the appointment?  They missed 8 appointments for us, were generally extremely arsey with us on the phone when we were trying to ask them WTF they were playing at (that's when we could get a mobile signal, stood outside in the snow) and generally lied and cheated their way through the entire debacle, including drastically increasing the price within 6 months, on an 18 month guaranteed fixed price.  Utter bastards!  We had no choice as to provider, BT illegally refuse to release their fibre network to other providers, claiming its because they financed it, which is untrue, as it was jointly funded by the Welsh Govt and the EU.
Wombat

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys

Did they turn up to install it in the same month as the appointment?  They missed 8 appointments for us, were generally extremely arsey with us on the phone when we were trying to ask them WTF they were playing at (that's when we could get a mobile signal, stood outside in the snow) and generally lied and cheated their way through the entire debacle, including drastically increasing the price within 6 months, on an 18 month guaranteed fixed price.  Utter bastards!  We had no choice as to provider, BT illegally refuse to release their fibre network to other providers, claiming its because they financed it, which is untrue, as it was jointly funded by the Welsh Govt and the EU.

Fortunately (and rather surprising based on previous BT missed appointments etc) the whole installation process was very slick.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
9.6k?  Laptop?  Fookin' luxury!  2400 and a VT220.  Although we did have EDT at the other end of the line.

Kids today don't know they're born. KSR 33 and a 110 baud acoustic coupler.

Wowbagger will be along in a moment to give us his memories of the difference engine.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
That's all well and good, but where's the identify-the-usable-cycle-facility CAPTCHA?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Well freenode is having a whale of a time atm. Take over and people running away to other servers.

And some nasty talking and botting https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/1397297559777906691

is this the great IRC war of 21 ?

rest assure that you can still lurk/idle in #yacf but now in our nice new and shinny home over here - irc.libera.chat:6697 :)

Kids today don't know they're born. KSR 33 and a 110 baud acoustic coupler.

Wowbagger will be along in a moment to give us his memories of the difference engine.
Bah! Humbug! An abacus was good enough for Mrs B's great grandfather. None of this newfangled stuff.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Well freenode is having a whale of a time atm. Take over and people running away to other servers.

And some nasty talking and botting https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/1397297559777906691

is this the great IRC war of 21 ?

Oh marvellous.

rest assure that you can still lurk/idle in #yacf but now in our nice new and shinny home over here - irc.libera.chat:6697 :)

* Kim sticks that in her irssi config

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Half the internets not working, neither from fondleslab nor Proper Computer.  Cannot connect to yacf or the BHPC.  Blogspot, Flickr and! Yahoo! Mail! OK!  Reboot Proper Computer.  yacf returns, as if by legerdemain, on fondleslab.

WTF is that all about, kids?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
This tablet from the fruit vendors of Cupertino is getting a bit more than ropey. I think it’s acting up now because it knows I’ve ordered a new one, and as that’s not due for another 2 to 4 weeks, I think it’s hoping to die before then and leave me high and dry. Bastard thing.

More seriously, I’ve taken on a job that needs completing soon so I can afford the new toys, but if this thing dies in the mean time I’m going to be digging out old laptops.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
The new fondleslab has arrived, has been turned on and allowed to speak to my phone and has configured itself to match my old fondleslab. The new one is physically smaller but has greater screenage than the device it is replacing and the technology within is wizzier and bangier. But on the whole it’s a bit underwhelming.
I now need to decide on which case I’m going to get.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Installed LineageOS on my Moto 5GS that had Android 8.0.1 and the new shinny is Android 11. Took some faffing and unlocking etc. All in all I think it is a wee bit faster. Mind, I got a feeling that the brightness isn't a bright as the old version or is it that summer have hit and everything is bright. Now lets see how it behaves after a few weeks use.

The new fondleslab has arrived, has been turned on and allowed to speak to my phone and has configured itself to match my old fondleslab. The new one is physically smaller but has greater screenage than the device it is replacing and the technology within is wizzier and bangier. But on the whole it’s a bit underwhelming.
I now need to decide on which case I’m going to get.
I think that is generally true of all IT currently. There is nothing new happening and all the changes are small.

I think the company I work for has been hit by a ransomware attack. The server's have been down since Thursday and we've been told not to expect them back for a few days, as things are being rebuilt/built. The explanations we've been given make no sense at all, so naturally we are coming up with our own theories