Author Topic: Katie Hopkins does it again  (Read 17791 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Katie Hopkins does it again
« Reply #100 on: 16 September, 2018, 08:05:23 pm »
Jack Monroe has show remarkable maturity and composure in the face of all this.
This bit (from The Mirror) made me smile:
"I'm not cruel nor celebrating - that case cost me 18 months of sanity and work, and I think neither of us wanted it to turn out this way. (I can recommend an excellent budget cookery book or three, for getting back on your feet, though)."
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #101 on: 16 September, 2018, 08:11:02 pm »
Thing is, this isn't going to make her change her ways, is it? She's getting paid to peddle hate and now she's going to have to peddle it even harder.

I don't think she is getting paid any more. I think she lost her "job" with the Mail Online.

She is just an amateur peddler of hate.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #102 on: 16 September, 2018, 08:26:21 pm »
She's now had a go at Welsh language schools, so my timeline is distressingly full of her shit.  I do wish that people would realise that when they argue with her they are doing exactly what she wants them to do.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #103 on: 16 September, 2018, 08:40:52 pm »
Thing is, this isn't going to make her change her ways, is it? She's getting paid to peddle hate and now she's going to have to peddle it even harder.

I don't think she is getting paid any more. I think she lost her "job" with the Mail Online.

She’s working for a Canadian far right outlet apparently.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #104 on: 16 September, 2018, 08:41:27 pm »
She's now had a go at Welsh language schools, so my timeline is distressingly full of her shit.  I do wish that people would realise that when they argue with her they are doing exactly what she wants them to do.

True, but ignoring trolls like Hopkins doesn't provide the same dopamine hit that wading in and putting them right does.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #105 on: 16 September, 2018, 08:52:40 pm »

She’s working for a Canadian far right outlet apparently.

She joined The Rebel Media at the start of the year. I've seen that outfit's name mentioned a few times over the last year or two - they were tangled up in the Macron e-mail leaks in the 2017 French presidential election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rebel_Media
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ian

« Reply #106 on: 17 September, 2018, 09:25:31 am »
Right-wing haters split into two camps – the ones that actually seem to believe what they spout (and thusly anything like this is a merely a soft martyrdom) or those that cynically sell hate to the sorts that will readily consume it (and soft martyrdom is how they get credit). It often seems at some point there's an inflexion point where regardless of where they started, they start to believe themselves.

Of course, regardless of where they fall on the cynicism scale, they have to keep hating more, find new targets, become more extreme just to be noticed in what is, sadly, a crowded field. There's no value in being moderate. That doesn't get you a column, a special place on a hate-site (which are also often cynical enterprises), or sell your latest book.

I dunno, going through life hating and be angry about everything just seems intensely sad whatever their motivations.

« Reply #107 on: 17 September, 2018, 09:38:39 am »

I dunno, going through life hating and be angry about everything just seems intensely sad whatever their motivations.

I strongly suspect that the benefit of hate to the individual is that it posits the possibility of salvation, which is why it is so often linked to religious extremism in ways rarely to be found in the theology of that religion, be it christianity, judaism, islam, buddhism etc. All you have to do to make life perfect is get rid of those who are to blame for it not being so.

ian

« Reply #108 on: 17 September, 2018, 10:34:35 am »
Possibly. It's why I always shake my head at people with their copy of the DM whose main message is really it's not you, it's them. And the underlining is literal.

Anyway, it's not an attitude I can even come close to understanding. And I'm happy about that.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #109 on: 17 September, 2018, 11:04:09 am »
I’m intolerant of intolerance. Oh, ermmm. Wait.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #110 on: 17 September, 2018, 12:53:03 pm »
Not the first https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

in order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance.

essexian

« Reply #111 on: 19 September, 2018, 11:59:57 am »
Not sure if this has been posted but taken from BTL in the Guardian politics live page today....

https://www.thecanary.co/trending/2018/09/18/nearly-20k-is-raised-in-a-crowdfunder-for-katie-hopkins-but-shes-going-to-freak-at-the-small-print/

You have to love Southend  ;D

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #112 on: 19 September, 2018, 02:11:47 pm »
I wrote a piece for a national LGBT group about the differences between tolerance, acceptance and inclusion, and so far I've received a load of stuff about reverse-mentoring Senior People. Perhaps I should send it to Hatey Cockroach?
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #113 on: 19 July, 2021, 10:56:40 am »
And again!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-57883692

Do we have to take her back? If we promised to pick her up could they just leave her half way and we could collect her next time we're passing?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #114 on: 19 July, 2021, 11:29:13 am »
She could travel as far as Calais, and then be given an inflatable boat?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #115 on: 19 July, 2021, 11:30:07 am »
One with a slow puncture....

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #116 on: 19 July, 2021, 11:36:44 am »
And again!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-57883692

Do we have to take her back? If we promised to pick her up could they just leave her half way and we could collect her next time we're passing?

It couldn't happen to a nicer person. No, seriously. It reallycouldn't happen to a nicer person, mainly because a nicer person wouldn't be so bloody stupid as to do what she deliberately did.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #117 on: 19 July, 2021, 11:40:17 am »
Surely Hopkins presents no lesser a threat to the UK than Shamima Begum ever has.  A 15 year old girl radicalised by terrorists vs a fourty something woman with along record of hate speech and a social media following of extreme haters?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #118 on: 19 July, 2021, 11:45:16 am »

That almost makes me wish we could arm the Border Force cutters... 
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #119 on: 19 July, 2021, 01:23:42 pm »

H Cockpins:Onoz! My boat is sinkin'! Call a lifeboat!
The RNLI: LOL &, moreover, roffle!  Swim, you horrible fascist gobshite!
H Cockpins:Opens enormous mouth; drowns
Omnes:Hurrah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #120 on: 19 July, 2021, 04:16:57 pm »
One with a slow puncture....
Not too slow mind.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #121 on: 19 July, 2021, 04:35:30 pm »
This is great news.

She has been deported.

This is not without consequences for the rest of her life, should she attempt to travel to other countries.

« Reply #122 on: 19 July, 2021, 05:16:02 pm »
But surely there is no other country on the planet worth visiting  ???   ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #123 on: 19 July, 2021, 06:11:16 pm »
It would certainly be amusing if USAnia put her on The List :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #124 on: 19 July, 2021, 08:59:10 pm »
I’m intolerant of intolerance. Oh, ermmm. Wait.

As a layperson admittedly, it seems to me her behaviour can only be attributed to mental illness. Tolerance of the mentally ill is a mark of civilised society; exploiting it like in a freak show or giving her a platform is not.
Move Faster and Bake Things