Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 281263 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
The Scorching Plains™ of New Mexico are about to unleash a fuck-off thunderstorm on an unsuspecting Albuquerque and happily I do not have to go out again.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Here it's t'other way about.  Friday we were promised a Sunday of pouring rain and gale-force winds so I decided to cut an event I'd otherwise have liked to do and rode yesterday in pleasant temperatures and bright sunshine.  Now it's Sunday and a hot-air balloon just drifted very slowly past outside.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Albuquerque's famous Balloon Fiesta isn't until next month chiz.  It's downright chilly out there ATM but then it's well over 5000' above sea level.

Chris S

I love the way a cold front can transform a day.

This morning's walk through Guisborough woods was sweaty, steamy and downright Hard Work. The front showed up like an express train at about 11, consisting of one single clap of thunder to announce itself - "I AM HERE!", followed by ten minutes of torrents of rain. Half an hour later it was all over, the sun came out, and since then it's been a much nicer day; fresh breeze, fair-weather cumulus scudding across the blue sky, and massively improved visibility  :thumbsup:.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Last week, Fatters, Canardly and I were discussing hot weather. I opined that in recent years, September has had a tendency towards much hotter days than in my youth. Today is one such. The car's thermometer claimed 32deg C whilst we were driving along the M2 today, and my westher station recorded 29.9C at 1.30 this afternoon.

Phewataskorcha!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Where as here in Chester it's currently 18c and lashing down with rain .
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Yeah.  It's a bit rubbish here in Llan-Dismal  too.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Where as here in Chester it's currently 18c and lashing down with rain .

We've got the lashing down with rain thing here too but the temperature is only in double figures if you go native and use Fahrenheit :(

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Ooh thunderstorm forecast for tonight.  Good excuse to extend today's hibernations.
Milk please, no sugar.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
We had one midday. Wasn't the hottest day of September this year here, let alone since 1949!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
The car was showing 30°C when I went to get some bits for dinner, earlier!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Ooh thunderstorm forecast for tonight.  Good excuse to extend today's hibernations.
We just had a tremendous storm over Skipton. I've not seen one so fierce since we've lived here. My parents over the Moss lost power for a couple of hours. We lost power for a few minutes (just enough time to get the candles going). The dog was very unhappy so we bribed her with peanut butter. She's now flat out upside down on the sofa, sleeping off the excitement.

I hear there's some flooding locally, hope nothing serious.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
According to R4, the 34.2°C recorded in Gravesend today was the highest September temperature in the UK since 1911. That must have been about the time I was driving along the M2.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
According to R4, the 34.2°C recorded in Gravesend today was the highest September temperature in the UK since 1911. That must have been about the time I was driving along the M2.

As the M2 was opened in stages between 1963 and 1965 I think you must be mistaken.

39 deg. F here and a wik thunderstorm for good measure.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Seems it was a tad wet in Manchester while us soft southern jessies were roasting...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-37356375

Seems it was a tad wet in Manchester while us soft southern jessies were roasting...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-37356375
And much of the north west, including us in Skipton. It has been very muggy and the ferocious storm has brought some relief. Pics from a local photographer: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157414892040481&substory_index=1&id=523920480

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Fucking hell! It rained a bit FFS! I waited for the rain to ease off before bringing the bikes in at closing time, so it was around 6.35 before I left. By the sound of that report Manchester was close to the 'End of Days' . . .

The cosmetics counters at Manchester's Harvey Nichols department store were flooded as well.

Well shit. That's the end of civilisation as we know it. All that's left is the zombie apocalypse . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

nicknack

• Hornblower
Here on sunny Sheppey we've forgotten what rain looks like. Our last substantial wetting was in June. You can get your whole arm into some of the cracks in the garden. This quarter's water bill's going to be a bit of a stinker as I've tried to keep the plants alive. The water butts have been empty for ages.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Inbound to Heathrow yesterday afternoon about 4:30, the southeast was clear and giving temperatures of around 31°. We could see a thunderstorm over Birmingham that was reminiscent of the sort of stuff we'd left in Nigeria six hours earlier! Brum airport was reporting 23° in heavy thunderstorms. The radar showed that they were fairly thinly spread but very large for UK. However, central France had rather larger ones which would have been fun to be under!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
http://tickfield.thewalkers.org.uk/weather/NOAA/NOAA-2016-09.txt

Lowest maximum temperature so far this month: 20.8°C.

Mean temp for Sept: 19.7°C  (based on a recording every 30 minutes) :o :o :o

Rainfall recorded by my machine:

PRECIPITATION (mm)

DEP.    MAX         ---DAYS OF RAIN---
                  FROM    OBS.                OVER
 YR  MO  TOTAL    NORM    DAY  DATE   0.254  2.54   25.4
---------------------------------------------------------
2016 01   54.4     3.4   13.0    7      17      7      0
2016 02   21.8    -9.3    5.0   22      10      4      0
2016 03   47.8    23.8    8.8    9      12      9      0
2016 04   48.4    13.1   12.8   15      16      5      0
2016 05   40.0    -0.1   19.2   31       8      4      0
2016 06   50.2     2.0   15.0   14      18      6      0
2016 07   16.2   -35.1    4.0   27      13      3      0
2016 08   12.6   -35.4    3.8   19       6      2      0
2016 09    5.4   -25.6    3.8    3       2      1      0
2016 10
2016 11
2016 12
---------------------------------------------------------
         296.8  -201.9    19.2 MAY     102     41      0

So July Aug and the first 2 weeks of Sept have been lots drier than June.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It's been far too hot these last couple of days on the Fridays' tour.  I think it got to 31C or something in Cologne yesterday.  Industrial quantities of bottled water have been purchased en route, all the cheese has melted, as has my brain.  But not the tarmac. That seems to be made of stronger stuff here.

It's allso been fairly dry compared tot he UK, which is the only reason I haven't actually died.

New cycle computer temperature reading record: 47C while parked outside a supermarket.  (It over-reads in direct sunlight, but by about the same amount as the rider feels, so that's still useful.)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

P9130186 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

View out of my window yesterday afternoon.  First rain here for six months.  Bah!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Summer has collapsed and died.  A pleasant 28° yest, chilly 22° now, blustery and spitting with rain. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Thanks to The Lord, He laveth the thirsty land...
Looks like the clouds will soon burst here in Londonton.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Maximum temperatures here over the past 4 days: 29.2, 29.9, 28.4, 27.1°C.

Slow-moving thunderstorms forecast for tomorrow.