Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 281562 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Half the county is under water again. Honister's rain gauge has recorded 205mm rain today!

I haven't been down the hill, but apparently the bridge here in Egremont is shut, and a lot of the local roads are flooded. I've not heard of any houses flooding yet at least.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
22°C according to my weather station. Sunny and warm.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Half the county is under water again. Honister's rain gauge has recorded 205mm rain today!

I haven't been down the hill, but apparently the bridge here in Egremont is shut, and a lot of the local roads are flooded. I've not heard of any houses flooding yet at least.
I was there - en velo!

We were staying in Keswick all week. Sat out the heavy rain on Wednesday morning - with a bit of kit shopping and cafe action thrown in - and then I popped down Borrowdale late afternoon to look at the floods. The Borrowdale road was closed according to the BBC, so I rode down the Catbells road - which is quite a few metres higher, and turned out to be a lovely road - thinking I'll ride as far as I can and have a gander. No traffic, but the road to Honister looked rideable ... so I headed south ... and despite some flooding over the tyres, made it to the end and rode up a bit of the Honister Pass. All with (almost) no traffic and some sun - lovely!

Got back to Keswick around dusk, sat down with a cuppa and watched the news; BBC showed coverage of an unpassable road at Grange, with inches more water than I'd seen. I must have been very lucky with timing, I guess I was 2 hours later than the Beeb's cameras :)

Oh, and the caravan park behind the Rugby ground flooded, leading to a daylong exodus of vehicles ;D [I shouldn't laugh, but hopefully they knew it was on the cards ... ]

Just found this on the BBC site. It's not my bike  :P The water had gone down a bit when I rode thru:

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

It's gone pitch black in Darlo.

essexian

We now have a pink, fuzzy sun!

Its very, very strange looking!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
It's really dark up here.

simonp

Very dusty - car covered in it this morning. The sky is a strange colour.

"It's not dark yet but it's gettin' there."

Rochdale

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Really strange sky colour in our part of the West Country today - red, like a sunset/rise.

Also dust on the car...
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
It's yellow down here. Though that might partly be due to the dust from the builders cutting up coping stones.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

I work next to the 'death tower' in Leeds. Today was the day when they were due to start fitting the wind baffles to stop high winds from killing people.

It's all quiet now, but I suspect the crane will have to cease work soon.

Oh the irony.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
It's clearish and bright here, but very very windy  :o
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I wish it would hurry up and rain to lay the dust. It's got to rain soon, surely?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Help me!
Bollox.  My internet has fallen over.

Basil

• Help me!
Bollox.  My internet has fallen over.

Ah.  More accurately,  we hav3 a power cut.

essexian

The wind has just hit here in Stafford....

The sky is very yellow now.

Basil

• Help me!
It's clearish and bright here, but very very windy  :o

Oh shit.

In other news, the first bin of the day has just passed.

Clare

• Is in NZ
It is incredibly dark here, I am sat next to a 5ft x 5ft south facing window, it is the middle of the day and I need to have the lights on to work. This is ridiculous.

essexian

Well this is very strange as the wind as dropped to normal and the sky is now a grey/blue with a bright yellow sun.

Its a complete turn around from how it was 90 minutes ago!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It's moderately sunny here.  When I turned my computer on I realised how wrong the colour temperature was - my screen's adjusted for normal daylight, and seems ridiculously blue in comparison.

It's just grey here. None of this red/yellow stuff everyone else seems to be getting. ::-)

Wind picking up in Rochdale but yellow sky has cleared to reveal clouds speedily scudding across the blue.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Much darker here all of a sudden.

It's windy down here in Rugby and the sky has this incredible yellowish brightness to it in spite of total cloud cover that I've never seen before.