Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 279610 times)

It seems we caught the tail of the storm that sat over Milton Keynes for several hours yesterday evening, and caused flooding.  We were more fortunate, tho I’ve never experienced such an extended period of non-stop lightning and thunder.

Despite the ferocity of the hailstorm, and volume of subsequent rain, the garden has survived virtually unscathed with the exception of some shredded hosta leaves, and the breaking off of the growing tip from a clematis. Fortunately the roses are late, so mostly not open.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
"And we gazed upon the chimes of freedom flashing"

I do love a good storm.  :D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Chris S

The weather is properly confused here. Yesterday, we had the first warm sunny day for quite a while - after a run of cold, grey haar days.

Today? Back to the fog. We climbed Roseberry Topping (it's a local destination) and it was heaving with folks who'd walked up into the fog. No views whatsoever from this famous "viewpoint" - just cloud whipping past on the NE'erly straight in from the North Sea. Weird.

The haar thinned somewhat during the afternoon, but it's back with a vengeance now; "socked in", as pilots might say.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Thundering quite heavily over E17 and the lack of wind suggests it'll be around for a bit.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Can hear the thunder from the east here in Uxbridge, but the forecast is no rain until dawn  ???

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Watched flooding on East London jamcams with bemusement, thinking I had a nice warm day.
Hear thunder in the distance.

No precipitation here yet...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It's all gone a bit wrong at Earlswood:

(Note for Southerners: This reservoir acts as a header tank for the Grand Onion Canal)

Doesn't look like it's lost too much there - are they worried about a breach?

In weather-related news, the floods fatality was near the end of my street - apparently the 80-year-old driver tried to get his van through 2.5m of water in the dip underneath a railway bridge.

Watched flooding on East London jamcams with bemusement, thinking I had a nice warm day.
Hear thunder in the distance.

No precipitation here yet...
For added amusement value the traffic cam could have zoomed in, were it capable of so doing, on the scene of an East London denizen continuing to bbq spit roast a chicken through said downpour with the aid of an umbrella, a shield to avoid roasted nuts alongside the chicken and a leavening of humour.

The weather is properly confused here. Yesterday, we had the first warm sunny day for quite a while - after a run of cold, grey haar days.

Today? Back to the fog. We climbed Roseberry Topping (it's a local destination) and it was heaving with folks who'd walked up into the fog. No views whatsoever from this famous "viewpoint" - just cloud whipping past on the NE'erly straight in from the North Sea. Weird.

The haar thinned somewhat during the afternoon, but it's back with a vengeance now; "socked in", as pilots might say.

Yeah, it really came back in fast. I've seen nowt like it since John Carpenter's The Fog. It was clear coming up the old railway from Chimney Bank top, but I was coming up to Ralph Cross when it just rolled over:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

I expect they were yesterday evening, when they (I assume) hastily closed the road with police tape.  This seems to have been successful in stopping any stray wankpanzers from exacerbating the problem by driving over the top.

I expect they were yesterday evening, when they (I assume) hastily closed the road with police tape.  This seems to have been successful in stopping any stray wankpanzers from exacerbating the problem by driving over the top.

GPWM; I always underestimate the moton's urge to press on regardless, especially when driving the kind of wankpanzer that poses a genuine threat to shaky foundations...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
bloody windy here yesterday, and now oddly foggy but still breezy

No thunder at all
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer

(Note for Southerners: This reservoir acts as a header tank for the Grand Onion Canal)

Double yellow lines on a cycle track?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

So far this month France has only had one day without thunderstorms.

Judging from Karla’s twitter feed that trend continues.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

It's technically a road, though it's mostly used by pedestrians and cyclists.  You can fit exactly one modern car on it, with room for a pedestrian to hold their breath alongside.  There's a curious 'Y' arrangement where drivers (mostly accessing the residential area at the base of the 'Y' without the inconvenience of going the long way round) manage not to jam the whole thing up: https://goo.gl/maps/8ZpZQ6Mv6YS2

I assume the double yellows are there to make a point to particularly thick fisherpersons and dog-emptiers.

I've been on Skye. We have had wall to wall sunshine. It has been hot. We have been sitting in the streams to cool down. I am quite sunburned.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

It's technically a road, though it's mostly used by pedestrians and cyclists.  You can fit exactly one modern car on it, with room for a pedestrian to hold their breath alongside.  There's a curious 'Y' arrangement where drivers (mostly accessing the residential area at the base of the 'Y' without the inconvenience of going the long way round) manage not to jam the whole thing up: https://goo.gl/maps/8ZpZQ6Mv6YS2

I assume the double yellows are there to make a point to particularly thick fisherpersons and dog-emptiers.

Nice bit of strategic barrier-fu at the Y.

"Dog-emptiers" is nice.

Beardy

• Shedist
Whilst travelling on the A12 in a north easterly direction yesterday morning, the pantechnicons and juggernauts weren’t content with creating clouds of road filth laden spray. No, they had to leave a wake in their, erm, wake.
It was quite the most horrid driving experience.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Chris S

I've seen more Fog since we moved to Teesside than in my previous 58 years put together. Today is a perfect example - 50-100m visibility all day. I've had the fucking lights on indoors, all day. I've had to deploy the SAD light. It's June day after tomorrow, and I've got the SAD light out.

I think I may need to move.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Meteo France forecast storms for us from 23:00 - 02:00 last night.  At 22:58 I said to Mrs T42 "well they'd better hurry up, there's not a peep so far". 30 seconds later the first crash arrived, and we were treated to torrential rain, battering wind, an ostentatious light show and the sound of God rolling out his wheelie bin for the next hour and a half.

At bladder o'clock* (03:40) the road was dry.

* Larringtonian mot juste, for which ta.

I've seen more Fog since we moved to Teesside than in my previous 58 years put together. Today is a perfect example - 50-100m visibility all day. I've had the fucking lights on indoors, all day. I've had to deploy the SAD light. It's June day after tomorrow, and I've got the SAD light out.

It wouldn't be far to move to Tyneside, where the fog is not shared.

Chris S

:facepalm:

I've missed you, since I left Twitter  ;D

;D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Quote from: Nuncio link=topic=86532.msg2290847#msg2290847 date=1527755597
[/quote

:) ;D