Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 280992 times)

Judging by how the stability of my internet connection has dropped right off in the last half hour, there's an electrical storm somewhere in the general vicinity of Portsmouth...

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Judging by how the stability of my internet connection has dropped right off in the last half hour, there's an electrical storm somewhere in the general vicinity of Portsmouth...

https://control.aa.net.uk/stormtrack.cgi refers.  The cluster in the south-west seems to correlate with https://www.lightningmaps.org/ but it's mostly noise ATM.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
We’ve just had a massive electrical storm ease it’s way over. Not much rain, and the lightning above the clouds so my photos just show lit up clouds
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Wir haben Donner und Blitzen!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Watched the storm come from manor house way over wood green and then head east.  But that doesn't make sense as it should have been west to east as it past Hellys place.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
no D&B here, but some overnight rain. internal thermometers are showing 27C here at 6am, and humid already
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Mega lightning at 3 in the morning in Witnesham, north of Ipswich.

Yesterday on the bus to Ipswich the travellers were cooing that it would be 32 degrees today. My Velomobile tour in June included days at 37 degrees in Germany. This is now normal, we’ve had it the past few years.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

essexian

We had a right storm here in Stafford between 2 & 5am. All nine cats....nine cats, we only have five.... were in the house getting out of the way of the mega rain which came with it.

And then I noticed something strange..... as you may have noticed, I have been grumbling about my foot for the last couple of months. Well, during the storm the pain in my foot decreased to almost nothing and the flexibility I had lost returned to about 70% of normal  ;D ...... until the storm ended when the foot returned to my new normal and I am back to not being able to put any pressure on it/walk more than a few yards  :facepalm:

So, if its okay with you, I have arranged for the rain gods to follow me around for the next couple of months until this foot gets fixed. I am taking bookings to stay away from your outdoor event etc..... and yes, I did nick that idea from the late great Douglas Adams!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I know a bloke who can tell if there's a storm coming because his old fracture site begins to hurt.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I was mistaken, apparently there was D&B here, but I have blocked ears at the moment, so missed it.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

It did seem it was about to smite the North Downs last night but then I fell asleep and I could sleep through the apocalypse.

Big lightning before we left JFK on Sunday eve, which meant we sat on the runway for two hours in a superheated tin can. The a/c on planes doesn't work till the engines are running apparently. It was 38 degrees outside. Felt like double that inside. I poached. They also apparently can't serve gin on the ground. Though kudos to the crew, for my patience they bought me three double gins simultaneously once we got in the air.

Clare

• Is in NZ
I know a bloke who can tell if there's a storm coming because his old fracture site begins to hurt.

I used to get that, I think it is to do with changes in pressure because I also used to get terrible pain in an aeroplane when it was taking off. Thankfully it no longer happens to me.

In other news half the office has data and telemetry the other half doesn't. Apparently the storm last night twatted bits of the servers.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
02:12:00 — sound of huge raindrops on Velux window immediately above my head :thumbsup:
02:12:06 — sound of huge raindrops ceases, never to return  :'(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Storm came in at 1am-ish.  Loud enough for barakta to hear, and with plenty of the flashy stuff.

Suspected-dodgy smoke detector was twatted by it a little before 2, and the system went into alarm.  I violated procedure by failing to remove the duvet from the bed[1], and proceeded directly to prod the offending item, rather than grabbing a dressing gown, footwear and a fire extinguisher and checking for actual fires.   :facepalm:

In my defence, I was already on edge due to the storm, the heat and the rat that I discovered in the kitchen as I was going to bed.   :hand:

[1] Barakta has previous for duck&cover tactics, and missing the fact that it's a fire alarm rather than a mis-directed taxi or whatever.  On this occasion she appeared behind me asking if anything was on fire.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
It was about midnight here. No fires, lots of lightning but far away and mostly cloud type (what's the proper name for it?). Quite a bit of rain. Not much wind though. Good light show. Not so sticky today.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Chris S

It was about midnight here. No fires, lots of lightning but far away and mostly cloud type (what's the proper name for it?). Quite a bit of rain. Not much wind though. Good light show. Not so sticky today.

Intra cloud?

<nerdalert>
(click to show/hide)
</nerdalert>

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
...the rat that I discovered in the kitchen...

Are you going to fix it?

essexian

We have just received an email from the head of People saying we can wear what we want tomorrow as it is supposed to be the hottest day in many years: if ever (33c according to the Met Office).

Any suggestions gratefully received.....  ;D :thumbsup:

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
...the rat that I discovered in the kitchen...

Are you going to fix it?

You utter shit, now I have that ear worm....

Cudzoziemiec

We have just received an email from the head of People saying we can wear what we want tomorrow as it is supposed to be the hottest day in many years: if ever (33c according to the Met Office).

Mankini with ten-gallon hat and flip-flops.

Storm came in at 1am-ish.  Loud enough for barakta to hear, and with plenty of the flashy stuff.

Suspected-dodgy smoke detector was twatted by it a little before 2, and the system went into alarm.  I violated procedure by failing to remove the duvet from the bed[1], and proceeded directly to prod the offending item, rather than grabbing a dressing gown, footwear and a fire extinguisher and checking for actual fires.   :facepalm:

In my defence, I was already on edge due to the storm, the heat and the rat that I discovered in the kitchen as I was going to bed.   :hand:

[1] Barakta has previous for duck&cover tactics, and missing the fact that it's a fire alarm rather than a mis-directed taxi or whatever.  On this occasion she appeared behind me asking if anything was on fire.

Ah, Rats............. luckily they appear to have abandoned the parental palace.  No visitations for about 6 months.     Want  some lightly used traps ?    I'll wash the splat off them before posting.....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!

Suit of armour?

OK then, how about a green Afghan jock strap with clear plastic wellies half filled with green ink?

A Boy Scout uniform?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

Pick up a random Mr Ben book and open it...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Ah, Rats............. luckily they appear to have abandoned the parental palace.  No visitations for about 6 months.     Want  some lightly used traps ?    I'll wash the splat off them before posting.....

This one was my fault: Had the kitchen door open in a vague attempt at ventilation, with barakta in the dining room to watch for burglars.  I came downstairs and asked her what the rustling noise was.  "What rustling noise?" was the inevitable reply.   :facepalm:

As I entered the kitchen, it scarpered from the mess of plastic bags beside the cooker (containing laundry tablets and agent orange, but probably scattered with low-level cooking debris) and disappeared into the gap between the fridge and washing machine.  After futile attempts to evict it by poking with a broom handle, it occurred to me to start the spin cycle, and stand well back, guarding the door to the rest of the house.  As the drain pump kicked in, it legged it out the back door.

That's the only evidence I've ever seen of one actually in the house.  They can probably get into the floor void, but they don't seem to be resident.

In an attempt at more general rat management, I've sent the council a moan about their general failure to collect the bins for the second week running.  It is, of course, excellent weather for it.