Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 280849 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
It's hardly half-past summer and we haven't had a heatwave worth the name yet (planned for Saturday next week) but the guttersnipe delivering the weather forecast this morning had the effrontery to mention autumn.

Edit: not next week, this week.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
It's supposed to be getting very warm here over the next few days.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
It's hardly half-past summer and we haven't had a heatwave worth the name yet (planned for Saturday next week) but the guttersnipe delivering the weather forecast this morning had the effrontery to mention autumn.
You'll know Autumn is imminent when a group of lions walks past.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583

third hottest day ever recorded in the UK last week, and I decide to go out and do a run for my online TT league  :facepalm:

Supposed to hot again tomorrow, again my only day in the week available  ::-)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
You'll know Autumn is imminent when a group of lions walks past.

MrsT is a Leo, always claims that the fireworks are for her.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Lots of thunder and lightning followed by very heavy rain.
That's it for summer then
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cloudless blue skies here in Leafy Bucks, all the better for plane identification, as the wind being in the NE we’re getting all the Incoming flights to Luton overhead at around 4000ft.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Basil

• Help me!
Blimey.  Serious thunderstorm now.
Exciting.  Although I've now unplugged the router as I remember one being zapped back in Brum a few years ago.
This has displeased Mrs B who is WFH.

Basil

• Help me!
And now, of course, A power cut.

Chris S

That storm to the SW of Machynlleth on the rainfall radar is showing some serious rainfall rates - somewhere close to 120mm/hr; that's going to be messy.

There's a "loaded gun" scenario today; some properly energetic instability, capped by a dryer stable layer. Looks like the cap's been broken and CAPE values of up to 2000j/Kg are being unleased. Kaboooom.

==========
CAPE is a measurement of potential energy in the atmosphere. A value 2000 is almost unheard of in the UK.

ElyDave

clear skies, hot, light breeze here.

Had a nice ride over to Suffolk and back this morning in around 25-27C temperatures

Chris S

That storm to the SW of Machynlleth on the rainfall radar is showing some serious rainfall rates - somewhere close to 120mm/hr; that's going to be messy.

There's a "loaded gun" scenario today; some properly energetic instability, capped by a dryer stable layer. Looks like the cap's been broken and CAPE values of up to 2000j/Kg are being unleased. Kaboooom.

==========
CAPE is a measurement of potential energy in the atmosphere. A value 2000 is almost unheard of in the UK.

Told you...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53726444

nicknack

• Hornblower

==========

Told you...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53726444
Can we have some of that? It's like a desert here.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

I thought my nose hairs were going to go on fire as I rode over Putney Bridge earlier.

Basil

• Help me!
A very odd day indeed.
Three hours of incredible thunderstorm, darkness and torrential rain. Then the sun came back and we went up to Aberaeron to eat fish and chips on the quay wall as we watched the sun going down.

Some impressive lightning over Liverpool at the moment.  Some distant rumbling & a brief downpour earlier.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
That was some thunderstorm we had this morning  :o Blue sky now.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

We. Have. Rain!!!

ElyDave

Much cooler this morning 8)

Gusty breezes, foggy, and, dare I say it, a threat of rain :)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
I have never, in my 66 years and all over the world, experienced anything like last night, here, S of Chester.

At 5pm I knew something was up, but the rain radar didn't show much.  By 7, the sky was black, then orange, then mucky orange, then black, with occasional lightning.  By 8, it was apocalyptic. The rain radar had gone mad. Continuous lightning, torrential rain at times, otherwise just heavy rain, with hail the size of gob-stoppers, then came the thunder.  Right overhead for an hour.  The dog was terrified.  I unplugged all the sensitive stuff in case we had a power surge, and went to bed to watch the show, I thought the glass conservatory roof would come in.  It was still raging when I fell asleep around 1030.  Utterly beyond any experience I've had before.

This morning, it just feels like the calm after the storm.  At 6am the Dee valley was full of thick mist and from our 150m ASL I could look out west over a white sea, just like it would look if the sea rose by 120m. Really weird. No Berwyns, no Ruabon Mountain, no LLangollen.  Just a white sea extending to the edge of the world.

Is this how it ends?  Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion?

We. Have. Rain!!!

Well, that didn't last.

ian

I didn't hear anything last night, but the patio table is officially still wet. The driveway and the rest of the patio and garden seem dry. Possibly a very localised storm.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
We had a 2-minute shower from what appeared to be a cloudless sky. The rain gauge recorded 0.4mm so it was pretty heavy for a few seconds.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
In E14, nothing... Apparently 70% chance of rain  at 09.00 but that passed without a drop.