Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 275391 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Nothing in E17 either.  The bathroom is pleasantly cool ATM but the rest of Larrington Towers is still like unto a sauna, if not yet up to the levels reached in my garret at Fort Larrington after being closed up for two and a half weeks in the Summer of '76.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

I didn't hear anything last night, but the patio table is officially still wet. The driveway and the rest of the patio and garden seem dry. Possibly a very localised storm.

Similar here in Leafy Bucks. Cooler, definitely breezier. The Met office has "improved" it's app overnight, and removed straightforward access to the rain radar  ::-)  Home & Dry shows armageddon 4 miles to the north, but nothing here yet. If its accurate we should just miss the worst of that today, and just be north of tonight's storms.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

I have never, in my 66 years and all over the world, experienced anything like last night, here, S of Chester.

At 5pm I knew something was up, but the rain radar didn't show much.  By 7, the sky was black, then orange, then mucky orange, then black, with occasional lightning.  By 8, it was apocalyptic. The rain radar had gone mad. Continuous lightning, torrential rain at times, otherwise just heavy rain, with hail the size of gob-stoppers, then came the thunder.  Right overhead for an hour.  The dog was terrified.  I unplugged all the sensitive stuff in case we had a power surge, and went to bed to watch the show, I thought the glass conservatory roof would come in.  It was still raging when I fell asleep around 1030.  Utterly beyond any experience I've had before.

This morning, it just feels like the calm after the storm.  At 6am the Dee valley was full of thick mist and from our 150m ASL I could look out west over a white sea, just like it would look if the sea rose by 120m. Really weird. No Berwyns, no Ruabon Mountain, no LLangollen.  Just a white sea extending to the edge of the world.

Is this how it ends?  Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion?

Actually in Chester it wasn't that bad last night. Certainly in about the same number of years as you I've been in a lot worse. About 5 hours of heavy rain and continuous lightening until around 2330. The orange sky about 2000 was spectacular though I grant you.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
In spite of the promised deluge, still nothing in E12.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

We were promised a deluge?  By whom, and when?  We of the Democratic Ruthless Bastards Party like to keep our records in order.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος

We were promised a deluge?  By whom, and when?  We of the Democratic Ruthless Bastards Party like to keep our records in order.

Both MetOffice and the Norwegians.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
A few minutes ago we had another spell, of a mere few seconds’ endurance, of fat raindrops splashing down from a sky that looked totally incapable of any such thing.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
I have never, in my 66 years and all over the world, experienced anything like last night, here, S of Chester.
This morning, it just feels like the calm after the storm.

Actually in Chester it wasn't that bad last night. Certainly in about the same number of years as you I've been in a lot worse. About 5 hours of heavy rain and continuous lightening until around 2330. The orange sky about 2000 was spectacular though I grant you.
It seems there was significant local flooding around here, including some houses, and a couple of local roads closed by trees/landslip etc.  Two people report blown wireless routers (presumably from power surges) and a house set on fire in Wrexham.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
Bit of a hailstorm for the Dauphiné riders today. Body armour required.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/huge-hail-storm-hits-criterium-du-dauphine-riders-and-spectators/

Where's my thunderstorm?
I've been robbed.

A brief convection shower, but no thunderstorms over Pompey either. OTOH, whatever thunderstorm activity was in south Hampshire was playing merry hell with my internet connection at exchange and/or server level after lunch, to the point that I switched off the PC and went and did all of the ironing instead.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
It is raining properly here at the moment. At 9.30 the proper rain gauge had measured 6.7mm, which is allocated to 14th August. At that point the automatic one had measured only 5.8. Now the automatic one claims 7.2mm so we've had enough that I don't need to do any watering tonight.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Blimey.  It's freezing.  18c atm.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Blimey.  It's freezing.  18c atm.

16.56C here.  I had to put a jumper on.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
20 here. No jumper, though I did briefly put some socks on. But the is rather wet and... autumnal! ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
The drizzle arrived earlier this afternoon, which should safeguard the Freddos at the Cadbury factory.

Blimey, it’s only 23 or so, but by God it’s humid! Feels about 30.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Thunderstorm last night. It moved past us on the hills either side then settled for over an hour on a hilltop village about 5k away, giving us some wonderful displays of violet-lit clouds.  Was a bit disappointed that https://map.blitzortung.org didn't show us the strikes in real time - possibly because the closest functioning detectors are in Germany.  Not many at all in NE France.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Plenty of thundery action Mon/Tues here, and steady downpour all day, so the veg patch very happy.

I'm going to go out for a run later, I like running in the rain
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Not a nice day to be putting up the roof trusses at Legs Towers.  Waiting till tomorrow to strip off the near part of the roof for the diminishing trusses - weather looks set to be somewhat better...

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Not a nice day to be putting up the roof trusses at Legs Towers.  Waiting till tomorrow to strip off the near part of the roof for the diminishing trusses - weather looks set to be somewhat better...

Don't fancy cutting your lawn...........

Fortunately that’s not ours...

A smidge windy for battening and tiling today...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Someone out there ^^^^ has one of those joke comedy “ten different noises” car alarms set to “Go off if a cat sneezes in the next street over” levels of sensitivity.  It has been sounding almost non-stop for hours, because Wind >:(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Hot, muggy and storms promised to wake us up in the wee small hours. Oh aye, and wind. Bleh.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight