Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 279478 times)

ian

Re: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.
« Reply #1450 on: 24 September, 2020, 08:12:33 pm »
I am clinging onto summer's shirttails so shall remain in shorts until the beginning of October. I have retreated to socks though.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Re: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.
« Reply #1451 on: 24 September, 2020, 08:16:41 pm »
You're all wimps.  I'm still out walking the dog, in shorts (me, not the dog) before 7am, in rural Cheshire, and I don't expect to be back in longs for some weeks yet.  C'mon guys, man up......

Mind you, for 40 years I was a professional geologist, out in all weathers, rain or shine.  Maybe I'm just used to it.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1452 on: 24 September, 2020, 08:31:05 pm »
I am clinging onto summer's shirttails so shall remain in shorts until the beginning of October. I have retreated to socks though.

No socks yet, but I'm due to visit Fort Larrington tomorrow, which will involve venturing into the Big Room.  Where the heating is faulty.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1453 on: 26 September, 2020, 01:46:46 pm »
Gone from T-shirt & shorts to long trousers, long-sleeved shirt & a sweater in 6 days. Meh.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1454 on: 26 September, 2020, 04:02:28 pm »
The socks have been broken out, plus a lightweight long sleeve merino top, I refuse to give up shorts this early.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #1455 on: 28 September, 2020, 10:48:57 am »
I tried to hold out till October, but I've abandoned the shorts.

In part, this is because my wife took the initiative and buried my collection of shorts behind the walking bags and various other seasonal raiments and I couldn't be bothered re-excavating the wardrobe to recover a pair.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1456 on: 28 September, 2020, 11:06:29 am »
No socks at this very moment but gotta say this is when I'm missing Polish autumn. Won't be saying that in November, I expect.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
The Alpes-Maritimes got a year's worth of rain in under 10 hours.

https://youtu.be/7zIBbnQTjyY

Much wet^.
Still in shorts here.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather

My brother told me this morning that the 54.5mm he recorded yesterday exceeds anything he recorded previously except for 3rd September 1965 (57.2mm). This includes all the weather records held by the Essex Water Company. He was a chemist with them from 1968-2010 and their records go back to 1960.

I recorded 54.6mm yesterday. I'm about 15 miles SE of brother David's place. I think we have recorded more on one occasion, coinciding with the Mildenhall weekend.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
France Info:

#AlpesMaritimes Les cumuls de #pluie ont atteint 200 à 350 mm, localement 450/500 mm arrière pays. ✅380,4 mm à Andon, équivalent 2mois et demi de pluies d'octobre✅355,2 mm à Clans, soit 3 mois de pluie✅335,5 mm à Coursegoules, soit 2 de pluie

France Info:

#AlpesMaritimes Les cumuls de #pluie ont atteint 200 à 350 mm, localement 450/500 mm arrière pays. ✅380,4 mm à Andon, équivalent 2mois et demi de pluies d'octobre✅355,2 mm à Clans, soit 3 mois de pluie✅335,5 mm à Coursegoules, soit 2 de pluie

Yikes!  ‘Though heavy autumn rains in the south there are less unusual than in the UK.  I recall one small town I stopped in in the mid ‘90’s for mid-morning coffee somewhere in the Ardeche had what looked like an abandoned building site down along the river bank. Reading the paper revealed that exactly a year before (this was in late September) there had been a flash flood that had destroyed the group of new houses (it hadn’t flooded for years....) and killed something like 11 people.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
While out and about today I was stopped by a pair of ducks who asked if I knew the way to the old guy building a big boat.
I'm beginning to think I should have tagged along.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
The river is looking ominous.   :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Chris S

Yes. I'll be looking at our local river with interest tomorrow - I think we had over 50mm of rain yesterday. Normally, it doesn't react to one single event, but yesterday was different - the rain came from the East, so our side of the Pennine watershed got the windward dose for a change. Doesn't happen often.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!

And....it's over the banks.
Although only in a couple of non-dangerous places.
So far.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Must be winter. You can see the shape of the Somerset Levels from the Environment Agency's flood warning map. Amber or red for the whole area.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.

That's the kind of thing that happens in continents with real weather, not Europe!

I did like the way the woman was screaming "Putain de merde!" and the captions merely said "Impressionant".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I read the other day that 3rd October was the wettest ever recorded over the UK as a whole - rainfall totalling more than Loch Ness fell over the entire country, and Loch Ness contains more fresh water than the whole of England and Wales combined.

More locally, my brother told me this morning that the total rainfall for October is now 160.9mm. The wettest month since Essex Water Company records began in 1960 was November 2014 - 161.5mm. It seems quite probable that that record will fall in the next 9 days.

Chris S

We were riding bikes around Derwent and Ladybower reservoirs recently. They have a long way to go to being full - even after all this rain.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Another message from my brother: his total for October now stands at 168.4, therefore beating any previous month's rainfall since at least 1960. About 19 miles north of him, in Chelmsford, his son's pal has recorded 181.2mm.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Today will be dry with sunny periods according to that The BBC.  Why, then, did I require my windscreen wipers on the way back from Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles?  I need to Do Outdoor Stuffs this pm, possibly involving electricity, so sort it out u muppets.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Ring road was verging on flash flood today. No rain was forecast when I looked first thing.
Move Faster and Bake Things

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
We were riding bikes around Derwent and Ladybower reservoirs recently. They have a long way to go to being full - even after all this rain.

I walked round Bewl Water (Kent/Sussex border) the other day - it was likewise considerably less than full, though parts of the trails were extremely boggy from the recent rain.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

I walked round Bewl Water (Kent/Sussex border) the other day - it was likewise considerably less than full, though parts of the trails were extremely boggy from the recent rain.
We all used rather a lot of water whilst locked down over May-August. There were rather a large number of paddling pools used to entertain and cool children.