Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 278958 times)

Only 26°C here, but also only 50% humidity according to my thermometer, which is amazingly dry for these parts. It's far too hot so I've been going out for an early morning walk and staying in for the rest of the day.

On the plus side, I expect the plastering I had done this morning to be dry by tomorrow (compare and contrast to the plastering I had done in December, which took ages...).

Thermometer says 28°C in my living room, 2 PC's & a fan on.     Doing some remote testing with one of our engineers earlier & it was 35°C in the comms room .   I wouldn't want to swap.   He probably has to wear clothes as well..
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
It is now raining quite heavily (in spurts) but I think I may still need to water the veg plants later.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

ian

One of the pluses is that I'm briefly winning the temperature wars with my dev teams (mostly based in Bangalore*, they usually win).

*Bengaluru these days, but unlike Chennai etc. they all keep using Bangalore.

We’ve reached equilibrium in the lounge, 27C inside and out. Bedroom 29.5C. Well at least it’s remained dry, if humid, for my mini-break. And as the roof is slate, the cold water tank is warm enough to shower from. I’m almost looking forward to the office air con tomorrow.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
We've had a few rumbles and fat spots of rain, but the weather station hasn't actually detected anything by way of percentage of a millimetre.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
24C in that there Suffolk. Girt big thunderstorm passing about 5-8 miles to the west, just getting some fringe rain off it now but it's very active. Those under the middle of it (somewhere between Sudbury and Braintree atm) are going to be very wet about now.

It's been raining pretty much constantly since I wrote that post, and the temperature is now a chilly 21C. The sun has now made a reappearance, however.

ian

Thundery chuckydownyness on the North Downs, which saves me contemplating watering the garden. I did get a bonus shower on the way back from the pool though.

Guy

• Retired
yr.no got it wrong yesterday. They promised us 7mm of rain in the two-hour period 6pm - 8pm. What we actually got was 7.5mm of rain in 35 minutes, starting at ten to eight. That was WET!
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

T42

• Apprentice geezer
yr.no got it wrong yesterday. They promised us 7mm of rain in the two-hour period 6pm - 8pm. What we actually got was 7.5mm of rain in 35 minutes, starting at ten to eight. That was WET!

What they mean is that at some time between 6pm and 8pm you're going to get that much rain; and they were right.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

I have a running session later (it's the third session of a five-week intro). It's due to be 28°C. :(

Is "too hot" a reason to wimp out, I wonder? :-\

If you're not used to exercising in the heat I'd say definately yes
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
And you are H!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

And you are H!
Mercurio's rising...

IGMC

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

I have a running session later (it's the third session of a five-week intro). It's due to be 28°C. :(

Didn't wimp out. It wasn't that bad, actually. I realised I had a water bladder in the freezer, so stuck that in a hydration pack! :thumbsup:

Hot and sticky when I went out for this evening's bike ride.
Coming back along the Fallowfield Loop near Levenshulme the heavens opened.
By the time I reached Stretford, the water on the road was rim deep and I couldn't have got any wetter.
An hour later, the rain has stopped and the temperature is climbing again.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Same happened  to me tonight. 
Sent to the (not very) supermarket for more tonics,  it suddenly lamped down for 15 minutes.   Loved it.  Reminded me of August commutes on the Brizzle road.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Now I have actually acquired a pukka thermometer I can state that the estate office hit 35.8 C this arvo.  This probably explains why it felt like Louisiana in August.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Didn't wimp out. It wasn't that bad, actually. I realised I had a water bladder in the freezer, so stuck that in a hydration pack! :thumbsup:

In France I used to go for a bike ride when it was too hot to do building work. It was a great way to get a breeze. In Provence I set out to climb Ventoux very early. They were days when it was 35c by 3pm. It was lovely at the top but halfway down it was like opening the oven door.
Move Faster and Bake Things

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
In France I used to go for a bike ride when it was too hot to do building work. It was a great way to get a breeze. In Provence I set out to climb Ventoux very early. They were days when it was 35c by 3pm. It was lovely at the top but halfway down it was like opening the oven door.
Until I grew up a bit and became a bit more discerning about where my employer tried to send me in the height of the summer heat, on landing in Dhahran, etc, Saudi Arabia, the ritual opening of the exit door to the steps (in those days) transformed an nicely chilled TriStar interior into the inside of our oven on Christmas Day lunchtime, in about 10 seconds.

By gum it were 'ot............

A fresh-faced not-long-graduated engineering geologist from the Lincolnshire Fens stood no chance.  Hotter than Andy Hamilton's Hades.

My formative years were spent in the hot places like where I was born. It took me years to get used to UK winters :o

Met Office storm warning for campsites and caravans

Look out, campers..
Move Faster and Bake Things

Some interesting weather over Normandy headed our way.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ian

My formative years were spent in the hot places like where I was born. It took me years to get used to UK winters :o

Look out, campers..

I've spent some time in sub-Saharan Africa, which wasn't so bad, but Athens (Georgia) was probably the worse, every building had fridge-grade a/c so the moment you walked outside, you'd sweat like an iceberg in a sauna, then you'd walk into the next building and freeze. Rinse and repeat. At least the Africans sensibly just settled down to being hot.

Some interesting weather over Normandy headed our way.

<checks lightningmaps.org>

Thor: "Fuck that fish... and fuck that fish too... and fuck that one in particular..."

Don't know what he's got against the Auvergne and Limousin, but west of Clermont-Ferrand is getting an absolute smiting right now as well.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

Look out, campers..

I've spent some time in sub-Saharan Africa, which wasn't so bad, but Athens (Georgia) was probably the worse, every building had fridge-grade a/c so the moment you walked outside, you'd sweat like an iceberg in a sauna, then you'd walk into the next building and freeze. Rinse and repeat. At least the Africans sensibly just settled down to being hot.

I don’t understand how anyone can live south of a line drawn between the mouth of Cheeseypeas Bay and El Paso.  And not just because of the fundies.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime