Author Topic: Tubeless for Dummies  (Read 195778 times)

Re: Tubeless for Dummies
« Reply #1150 on: 28 November, 2021, 06:51:18 pm »
Are you certain there is sealant in there?

« Reply #1151 on: 29 November, 2021, 05:09:22 am »
Yes thanks plenty of sealant.

Must post on the internet more often,  tried one more time this morning, heard the satisfying crack of the the bead finally seating and voila an inflated tyre.

Cheers.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1152 on: 29 December, 2021, 07:16:14 pm »
Ooh, a thread for tubeless dummies: I think this is the place for me ...

(n.b. these are 33mm tyres fitted by the wheel builders, and have worked fine for ~3 years, but very few miles, and one(1) sealant top-up).
Flat tyre during practice at Xmas Cross. Pumped to 20ish psi, went down again after 1 lap. Pumped to 35ish, and despite clear hissing from somewhere, finished the race with  plenty of air in.Huzzah! Still full a day later, but ...

The valve seems blocked. Unscrewed the core fully out, and ... air stayed in tyre. I'm in uncharted territory now, the bike may as well have levitated.

What now?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1153 on: 29 December, 2021, 08:01:26 pm »
Get a prong. Poke it down the valve hole (once you've removed the core. It's gunked up.

Probably best to top it up as well.

« Reply #1154 on: 29 December, 2021, 11:44:23 pm »
I think it's about 3 years since I have been running tubeless and I will soon be running out of doc blue.  What is the better option these days?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #1155 on: 29 December, 2021, 11:56:13 pm »
I'm on Stans Race sealant now. Seems fine so far.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1156 on: 30 December, 2021, 08:22:28 am »
Get a prong. Poke it down the valve hole (once you've removed the core. It's gunked up.

Probably best to top it up as well.
Well that's marvellously simple, Double Huzzah!

Thanks.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #1157 on: 30 December, 2021, 10:54:46 am »
I think it's about 3 years since I have been running tubeless and I will soon be running out of doc blue.  What is the better option these days?
Doc Blue is supplied to Schwalbe by Stans - it's written in the very small print on the large bottles.

« Reply #1158 on: 30 December, 2021, 12:24:18 pm »
There was some talk of some orange stuff that was better or lasted longer or saved unicorns from extinction or some such.

I am aware that doc blue is rebadged stands, I expect half the stuff is the same liquid latex rebadged.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1159 on: 30 December, 2021, 01:00:32 pm »
There was some talk of some orange stuff that was better or lasted longer or saved unicorns from extinction or some such.

I am aware that doc blue is rebadged stands, I expect half the stuff is the same liquid latex rebadged.

I'm quite happy with the OKO magic milk from PlanetX - plus it's very cheap!
Regards,

Joergen

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1160 on: 30 December, 2021, 01:52:14 pm »
Orange Seal Endurance in this house. Seems to work well at road pressures.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1161 on: 30 December, 2021, 02:43:23 pm »

I'm quite happy with the OKO magic milk from PlanetX - plus it's very cheap!

I had some of the thick mtb stuff, no complaints

« Reply #1162 on: 30 December, 2021, 06:46:49 pm »
Might we have got to the point where the stuff generally works, no matter who you buy it from?

« Reply #1163 on: 25 February, 2022, 07:01:20 pm »
Any suggestions on which is a good tubeless repair kit?  I have a wiggle voucher to spend and nothing else I need from them.  I'm bemused at the difference in price for tubeless repair kits...

« Reply #1165 on: 27 February, 2022, 11:09:54 pm »
Seems a neat design.  On the other hand, if I'm freeing up an innertube space in the saddle pack I'm not sure that his has an advantage over, say, the Weldlite option at <1/3 of the price.  What should I be looking for?  I thought it was just plugs and the applicator that were necessary.

« Reply #1166 on: 28 February, 2022, 05:40:51 am »
Been there, dome that. Which is why I'm recommending the dynaplug.

« Reply #1167 on: 28 February, 2022, 11:26:01 am »
Have the dynaplug.Just wait until you need to buy more plugs, reminds me of printer ink.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1168 on: 28 February, 2022, 01:20:21 pm »
Been there, dome that. Which is why I'm recommending the dynaplug.

The weldlite kit is ungreat

« Reply #1169 on: 28 February, 2022, 05:20:42 pm »
Indeed. As are all those kits with anchovies and a fork, unless you happen to have a hole that is exactly the right size for the kit.

Dynaplug ships with different sized tips.

« Reply #1170 on: 28 February, 2022, 07:20:08 pm »
How does the Dayna plug work then!  Is it a chemical reaction like the stans plug?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1171 on: 28 February, 2022, 07:36:04 pm »
Oddly enough, I have just been given a Dynaplug kit as a present, for use on my tubeless Stoater!
Looks pretty, and the donor had just used it on a maintenance course and was impressed with it's ease of use and effectiveness.

« Reply #1172 on: 28 February, 2022, 07:43:06 pm »
6 years of partial success with patching on the inside (at home, after roadside fix with tube...and impossible if using brand of tyre with shiny inner surface) and those fucking anchovies (what do you do if the hole is smaller than the fork size.. make a bigger hole? Stupid idea. What if the hole is bigger than the anchovy width? Putting two in doesn't work well) I got a dynaplug which comes with 3 sizes of darts and it has been flawless.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1173 on: 18 April, 2022, 07:11:24 pm »
I'll be going tubeles with my Faran 2.0, tyres and valves are on order for when frameset and wheels arrive.

1) how much sealant do I need and is one any better than another? Tyres are 47mm WTB Byway
2) I understand I'll need plugs in the event of a hole that does not seal.  Are there any preferences?
3) sealant injection - I understand a syringe is easier than pouring it in

I have a track pump for inflation, I understand that a sealant top up once a month or so is useful, I have self adhesive patches

Anything else I'll need?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1174 on: 18 April, 2022, 07:18:14 pm »
 I use Effetto Mariposa sealant, it’s a foaming variety.  I put around 50ml into a tyre once a quarter. I remove the valve core and use an old Stans sealant bottle with a pointy end to just push it in. This after seating the tyres “dry” first, using an Airshot pump.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)