Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 437532 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #2600 on: 20 July, 2021, 12:44:45 pm »
honestly, the world is so fucking noisy. Someone is always fucking about with something, or there are barky dogs, and now a periodic alarm that goes off for a minute then stops for two. Just an afternoon of silence, is it too much to ask? Yes.

*Laughs in Silly Oak*

<fx: Something hydraulic and diesely out of view to the left.  Car alarms.  Woofing.>

*laughs in next to a railway line and under a flight path*

J

On a quiet summer morning, in the couple of hours between the drunks falling asleep and the builders starting up, if the electricity supply is stable, nobody needs an ambulance and there isn't currently a seagull fight in progress, and you listen carefully, you can sometimes hear the trains.

(I grew up near a tube line, I don't hear trains unless I'm listening for them or notice the sparking.)

It's the woofing and drunken bellowing that annoy me most.  Power tools and sirens and so on are at least doing something constructive.  Wandering around yelling at your piss-head mates or singing racist/sexist sportsball songs, or being an incompetent dog owner are just antisocial.

ian

« Reply #2601 on: 20 July, 2021, 12:49:13 pm »
I have a lovely balcony and secluded garden, but I've mostly given up trying to work out there. Even if the sounds of constant renovation stop for a minute, there's always something else, or a beep-beep-beep of reversing lorries on the street above.

This is admittedly one of my big drivers for getting out of suburbia.

« Reply #2602 on: 20 July, 2021, 01:46:38 pm »
I visited York just over a week ago.

The stench of traffic fumes was incredible, as was the noise.

Didn't notice it when I lived there.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2603 on: 20 July, 2021, 01:50:51 pm »
I visited York just over a week ago.

The stench of traffic fumes was incredible, as was the noise.

Didn't notice it when I lived there.

Living in Middle Earth, this is something that hits me every time I get a train home from somewhere nice and oxygenated like Wales or north Yorkshire, and get off at Mordor Central.

It's not so noticeable if you come from That London...

« Reply #2604 on: 20 July, 2021, 01:58:21 pm »
I have a lovely balcony and secluded garden, but I've mostly given up trying to work out there. Even if the sounds of constant renovation stop for a minute, there's always something else, or a beep-beep-beep of reversing lorries on the street above.

We live far from suburbia. But we’re under a flight path to Luton for half the day (unless the wind is strong from the East, then it’s all day). And about half a mile from a dual carriageway that was ok until the cheapskates chip-and-sealed it. Plus kids from 5 doors down, barking dogs, garden machinery.

You’ll need your own estate of several acres, and hope no bastard puts a useless rail link (HS2, that’s you) through it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2605 on: 20 July, 2021, 02:41:38 pm »
We live in a farming village on the edge of a nature reserve, with hills and managed forest stretching around 50 km to the west of us and hundreds of km north into Germany. Noise pollution varies from zero to fierce depending on how many tractors are on the road, anything from zero to one every 5 minutes. Air pollution to match.  Every second neighbour keeps chickens, others have 4-footed livestock so the fly population is impressive.  There's also a fair bit of fruit-growing in the area, so we have fruit-flies too in season (i.e. now).  Then there's the usual population of kids with 50cc motorbikes adjusted for max dB.

Great area for cycling, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #2606 on: 20 July, 2021, 04:15:23 pm »

We live far from suburbia. But we’re under a flight path to Luton for half the day (unless the wind is strong from the East, then it’s all day). And about half a mile from a dual carriageway that was ok until the cheapskates chip-and-sealed it. Plus kids from 5 doors down, barking dogs, garden machinery.

You’ll need your own estate of several acres, and hope no bastard puts a useless rail link (HS2, that’s you) through it.

Our first place in London was a flat in West Ealing backing onto the main west coast rail line. You learned to hold your conversation every few minutes as an intercity roared past the bottom of the garden, about 25 metres from our living room. The main benefit was that you couldn't hear the Heathrow flight path directly overhead. You also couldn't really close the window because it turned out the place was damper than a swamp. We beat a fast retreat to the relatively tranquil confines of Shepherd's Bush (and third floor, where the damp really would have needed to be aspirational to climb that high).

Our last house had a branch line (between Crystal Palace and Birkbeck) at the bottom of the garden but the trains only trundled by at London speeds. That was oddly soothing. Till they did the track maintenance, that giant track bed whomping machine scares the hell out of you the first time it starts up outside your bedroom window at 3 am. I think they're supposed to let you know when they're going to do overnight maintenance. They never, ever do, preferring the element of nocturnal terror. Sometimes you'd hear the steady approach, as it tamped it's what from Crystal Palace, like some lead-footed brontosaurus on a mission to keep you awake till dawn.

There's a train line through the valley here, though mostly quiet, it's just the endless sound of suburban home improvements which never ever seems to stop (I know I'm being hypocritical, we had The Asbestos Palace refurbished when we moved here).

Still, visiting friends recently, who have places out in the country, and oh the blessed silence in their gardens. Here when the daytime symphony of refurbishment finishes, it's the mad cackle of the barky dog lady (she walks the dogs about 875 times a day and all they do is bark* and endless deliveries (beep beep beep as they try to get down the narrow lane).

*on the plus side, she always walks a cat that thinks it's a dog.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2607 on: 20 July, 2021, 05:13:28 pm »
Having your own personal volume control can sometimes be a boon. It’s a shame that most of us with such a convenience usually have to suffer our own internal sound track (tinnitus).
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2608 on: 20 July, 2021, 05:25:14 pm »
I was cycling to the beach before 8am today when an enormous road of engines approached from behind, at obvioulsy ridiculously high speed for a normally quiet residential road. I took evasive action and as I did so a Fucking Great Lamborghini, reg no CD51MAG, went hurtling past at far more than 30mph. I checked when I got back and it was   taxed and insured, but it also had a 5 litre engine and was pumping out 450g of CO2 every kilometre.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ian

« Reply #2609 on: 20 July, 2021, 05:34:41 pm »
We also get lorries grinding through all their gears trying to get up the very steep hill. Then beep beep beep beep beep as they try and do an 18 point turn to get around the corner and then reverse all the way along the lane so they can get out again. And the occasional crump as they non-surgically remove someone's wing mirror.

Then there's the thumpy thumpy bass boy chav chariot, though he mostly seems quiescent, presumably a bigger boy told him to turn it down.

« Reply #2610 on: 21 July, 2021, 09:43:53 am »
Got up in the night to close the bedroom window. The sash counterweight snagged so it won't stay up.

My response to this was to lift the window all the way so I have plenty of slack, then jiggle the rope with my finger until the counterweight freed itself.

Can you guess what happened next? 🔥

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2611 on: 21 July, 2021, 12:27:17 pm »
Is it appropriate to ask how your finger is?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #2612 on: 21 July, 2021, 12:31:19 pm »
Things I Have Learned Today don't usually get posted in the Fettled Today thread. :facepalm:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2613 on: 22 July, 2021, 02:16:03 pm »
I turned up at the GP practice early this morning for a blood test appointment, which is early tomorrow morning.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2614 on: 22 July, 2021, 03:38:36 pm »
I turned up at the GP practice early this morning for a blood test appointment, which is early tomorrow morning.

Knowing what day/date it is has become more difficult through the lockdowns, and being retired - I only know the day of the week that it is by the days marked on the blister packs of the pills I take  ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2615 on: 22 July, 2021, 04:13:48 pm »

Knowing what day/date it is has become more difficult through the lockdowns, and being retired - I only know the day of the week that it is by the days marked on the blister packs of the pills I take  ;D

The first four days of this week were all Sundays.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2616 on: 22 July, 2021, 05:12:58 pm »
I can say with some certainty most mornings that it’s a day of the week.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: The &quot;I'm Such a Fecking Div&quot; Thread
« Reply #2617 on: 22 July, 2021, 05:18:27 pm »
It's almost always a day that ends in a 'y' at any rate.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #2618 on: 22 July, 2021, 05:37:44 pm »
Testing my wife's (seemingly faulty) kiln.

Check connections for open circuit. Huh. Everything seems fine.

Turn power on. Check AC across element terminals. BANG!

Oh pooh, I think I've blown something. All breakers have tripped.

I go away, think. Google.

Bloody idiot. I had the multimeter probes plugged into the wrong sockets. Amazingly, the meter still works.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2619 on: 22 July, 2021, 05:54:14 pm »
Bloody idiot. I had the multimeter probes plugged into the wrong sockets. Amazingly, the meter still works.

I'm liking my multimeter that complains if the probes are in the wrong sockets for what it's measuring.  Saves a lot of fuses.

« Reply #2620 on: 22 July, 2021, 06:05:24 pm »

I'm liking my multimeter that complains if the probes are in the wrong sockets for what it's measuring.  Saves a lot of fuses.
Well yes.

Weirdly, the kiln now seems to be working on all elements.

I'm assuming that the short jolted a switch free in the controller.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2621 on: 22 July, 2021, 08:53:16 pm »

I'm liking the multimeter that I found in the cupboard the other week. Quality piece of kit it is. I reckon the electrician left it behind when we had some work done six years ago. I'd call him, except I can't remember who he was and he's probably replaced it by now.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #2622 on: 22 July, 2021, 09:31:39 pm »
Divvered again today. I needed a hex key with a very short short arm, to adjust a pedal which had a reflector in the way of the adjuster. The reflector nuts are very fiddly so I didn't want to remove them. I found a spare key, free from something, and "Dremel Cuts!" said Alexei in the adverts so I sets up bench vice, glasses and small cutting disc. As the sparks commence I think "hm, better shift my foot,don't want the end of this dropping on it" :) and carry on cutting.
As the key end drops and I urgently shake my foot to get the hot little beggar out of my sandal I also think "hm, perhaps I should have actually followed up on that forethought and shifted said foot".
Anyway, the key works.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2623 on: 23 July, 2021, 08:23:02 am »
Divvered again today. I needed a hex key with a very short short arm, to adjust a pedal which had a reflector in the way of the adjuster. The reflector nuts are very fiddly so I didn't want to remove them. I found a spare key, free from something, and "Dremel Cuts!" said Alexei in the adverts so I sets up bench vice, glasses and small cutting disc. As the sparks commence I think "hm, better shift my foot,don't want the end of this dropping on it" :) and carry on cutting.
As the key end drops and I urgently shake my foot to get the hot little beggar out of my sandal I also think "hm, perhaps I should have actually followed up on that forethought and shifted said foot".
Anyway, the key works.

Ah, sounds as if you were wearing what they call in New Zealand "Samoan Safety Boots"  ;D

« Reply #2624 on: 23 July, 2021, 09:26:51 am »
Is it appropriate to ask how your finger is?

It has a much less impressive burn than the one I put on my leg later on while jigsawing in shorts.

I did wait for the blade to stop moving before putting it down on my lap.