Author Topic: Building up a pub bike  (Read 4242 times)

Building up a pub bike
« on: 20 May, 2016, 12:57:34 pm »
I am in the process of building myself a pub bike from some of the bits I have in the shed.

I have a serviceable Peugeot frame, forks, handlebars and a front wheel in the shed.  It was a 10 speed frame, with non indexed gears. I have no mad desire to keep things original, but I would rather it ended up using the drop handlebars and old style leavers that I have cluttering up the place.

I am sure that a more patient person than I could recover the back wheel, but I am not sure it is worth the effort.  The spare front wheel I have is a 700c so they would be different sizes if i kept it.

So I am thinking about finding a cheap rear wheel and cold setting if I have to to make that fit.  I would then need to find some generic more modern brakes,  but I don't think that would be a bad thing, (hopefully they will still work with my old leavers.)
I would rather stick to non indexed gears as the frame has lugs so would look a little odd if there was nothing attached.

This is turning into more of a wander down to my local bike shop for a chat than I had anticipated.   As the more I think about this the less clue I have about what I am doing here.

I still have to get the old seat post and headset apart as both of those are locked up good and solid,  I suspect that will keep me busy for a while.
Just someone's butler