Author Topic: What is the worst film you have watched?  (Read 16022 times)

What is the worst film you have watched?
« Reply #100 on: 11 January, 2013, 10:36:43 pm »

Arthouse films with a good reputation I find difficult to understand include Eraserhead, and Ai No Corrida.  There may well be others I've been able to blot from my memory altogether ...

This. I think the only film I can remember walking out of was Derek Jarman's Sebastiane. Tho' to be fair, if you were looking for pretentious, slo-mo sado-maso gay erotica with Latin dialogue, it would be hard to beat.

Re: What is the worst film you have watched?
« Reply #101 on: 11 January, 2013, 10:43:57 pm »
films with a good reputation I find difficult to understand include Eraserhead, and Ai No Corrida.  There may well be others I've been able to blot from my memory altogether ...

Eraserhead is stunning.  :thumbsup:

red marley

« Reply #102 on: 11 January, 2013, 10:57:57 pm »
Koyaanisqatsi, I watched all 86 minutes of it, you can get a good idea of what it's like after 2.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LFBijDU8PpE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/LFBijDU8PpE&rel=1</a>

It's funny how Glass, and this film and score in particular divide opinion. It's one of my favourites. I saw it most recently in December at the Barbican with Philip Glass and the PG Ensemble playing live and found it absolutely stunning (as was Powaqqatsi and his opera score to La Belle et La Bete also performed live by him and the ensemble).

As for the worst films, the only cinema film I've ever walked out of was ConAir. I once mentioned why I thought is was a terrible, terrible film on this forum and got shouted down by a former member here who pointed out that I had missed the ironic self-concious way it was parodying the blockbuster culture. Or something.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #103 on: 11 January, 2013, 11:38:12 pm »
Saw 'Gangster Squad' earlier today. That was pretty bad.

« Reply #104 on: 11 January, 2013, 11:44:40 pm »
I cannae be arsed to look back to see if I have replied to this thread already, but Natural Born Killers must be the worst fillum I have seen at the cinema...(and Eraserhead must be the worst fillum ever on the TV, but Iwas only reminded it of due to previous reply - I think I 'erased' it from my memory until then...)

« Reply #105 on: 13 January, 2013, 05:26:00 pm »
I once went to see Bergman's Fanny & Alexander at Cinema City in Norwich. It is so long, they have an interlude.

Anyway, I sat through Fanny, but Alexander was lost on me, as I had legged it to the nearby St Andrew's Tavern. Even by Bergman's standards this one was tough.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #106 on: 13 January, 2013, 05:44:12 pm »
I'll throw in two:

Pulp Fiction: crap story shown out of order, gives idiots with no brain-power something to do after the film. I guess at least they are getting there moneys worth..

Heathen!

Kingdom of Heaven: rented it, didn't make it past 20 minutes..

Heretic!

Two good films, ok one gendre defining film and one good film.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #107 on: 13 January, 2013, 06:11:32 pm »
Pulp Fiction: crap story shown out of order, gives idiots with no brain-power something to do after the film. I guess at least they are getting there moneys worth..

I'm inclined to agree, though I suspect the problem is that I simply don't grok Tarantino.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #108 on: 13 January, 2013, 06:22:20 pm »
In terms of sheer crapness, California Man takes some beating.

Also, all those chick flicks like 27 Dresses, Maid In Manhattan (in fact, anything starring Jennifer Lopez), Runaway Bride etc etc.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #109 on: 13 January, 2013, 06:26:22 pm »
Pulp fiction only one of his I've ever seen - twas enough.

I thought it tricksy and soul-less.

My views on him definitely not changed by this - what a jerk.

http://www.channel4.com/news/tarantino-uncut-when-quentin-met-krishnan-transcript

« Reply #110 on: 14 January, 2013, 12:26:51 am »
Not so much a bad film, as a bad format. I watched 2001 in Cinerama and enjoyed it, even though it has some faults (it could have been editied a bit tighter, especially towards the end).
In contrast, it's completely unwatchable on TV (it loses too much in the format conversion).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #111 on: 14 January, 2013, 10:45:13 am »

It's not his best. Try Jackie Brown and Reservoir Dogs, both pretty good. Pulp Fiction is OK but "tricksy and soulless" isn't entirely unfair - it's definitely more style than substance. That is the Tarantino way.

http://www.channel4.com/news/tarantino-uncut-when-quentin-met-krishnan-transcript

Comes across as a bit of a pillock but I have some sympathy - it's a lame line of questioning.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #112 on: 14 January, 2013, 10:51:24 am »
The last really shite film I watched was a DVD loaned by my SiL. Can't remember the title, but it was a RomCom starring Jack Nicholson who's character is involved with an attractive woman half his age. I think we lasted about 20 minutes into that one.

ETA Something's Gotta Give (2003)
Pen Pusher

« Reply #113 on: 14 January, 2013, 11:37:45 am »
I have to admit not liking the LOTR trilogy. I don't hate them, but I can't see why so many people like them (the simmering broke back mountain romance between the fat hobbit and frodo notwithstanding)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #114 on: 14 January, 2013, 11:27:15 pm »
Someone made sequels to Starship Troppers?!? :o  ::-)

I've only ever walked out of one film - Showgirls - which we were seeing for free (friend's friend worked at the cinema).

At one point in my yoof a typical evening with mates consisted of trawling the local video rental shops for bad films, to be 'enjoyed' with a takeaway and some bevvies.  We were rarely disappointed.  ;D
Showgirls and the abomination that was the mismake of a great novel (Starship Troopers) were made by the same cockwomble, Verhoeven.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #115 on: 15 January, 2013, 08:16:14 am »

I've only ever walked out of one film - Showgirls - which we were seeing for free (friend's friend worked at the cinema).

At one point in my yoof a typical evening with mates consisted of trawling the local video rental shops for bad films, to be 'enjoyed' with a takeaway and some bevvies.  We were rarely disappointed.  ;D
Showgirls and the abomination that was the mismake of a great novel (Starship Troopers) were made by the same cockwomble, Verhoeven.

If you want to see (or not see) a truly awful film, google the 'digital bra' version of Showgirls; so named because they replaced all of the nudity with (really bad and crudely drawn) cgi underwear.

Jakob

« Reply #116 on: 15 January, 2013, 08:40:06 am »

I thought it tricksy and soul-less.

I actually think Krishnan is the jerk in this scenario. (And I normally think QT is a jerk!!)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #117 on: 15 January, 2013, 09:12:35 am »

If you want to see (or not see) a truly awful film, google the 'digital bra' version of Showgirls; so named because they replaced all of the nudity with (really bad and crudely drawn) cgi underwear.

That sounds like excellence in the creation of awfulness.
Getting there...

« Reply #118 on: 15 January, 2013, 09:17:34 am »
My brother reads The Sun. Anyway, he once asked me for film recommendations. I was rather dubious, so I suggested something lightweight like Jean de Florette. Nothing too challenging and visually stunning. All well and good.

He'd heard me going on about the Kieslowski Three Colours trilogy and decided to get the box set. Big mistake. It was like going from lager shandy to neat alcohol for his Sun-addled mind.

His verdict on these three wonderful films: "Nothing happens". I think he's back on Die Hard.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #119 on: 15 January, 2013, 09:34:19 am »
His verdict on these three wonderful films: "Nothing happens". I think he's back on Die Hard.

;D  That was the exact same response that my best mate (favourite film: Kill Bill) gave me after watching 'Dazed and Confused'.

I'd have to agree with the Pulp Fiction knocking - I think that it was big thanks to it being something of a breath of fresh air stylistically, albeit a crap one.

My own personal worst film though is 'Baron Munchausen's Great Adventure'.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

citoyen

« Reply #120 on: 15 January, 2013, 09:38:43 am »
Jean de Florette. Nothing too challenging and visually stunning. All well and good.

Indeed, though not quite as visually stunning as the sequel.

d.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #121 on: 15 January, 2013, 09:44:00 am »
Something happened in that one.
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #122 on: 15 January, 2013, 09:50:44 am »

I was at a very impressionable age when it came out. Something certainly happened to me when I saw it.

d.

« Reply #123 on: 15 January, 2013, 10:05:32 am »
 Saving Private Ryan  - it's only saving grace was that I saw it while stuck in a town during a cyclone and related flood and its inordinate length provided extra time in the air conditioning.
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #124 on: 15 January, 2013, 10:17:46 am »
I was at a very impressionable age when it came out. Something certainly happened to me when I saw it.
d.
I think Emmanuelle Beart might have something to do with it...?