Author Topic: Millar announces retirement  (Read 1641 times)

Millar announces retirement
« on: 15 October, 2013, 12:21:14 am »
David Millar has decided to call it quits at the end of 2014. Wonder if he'll become a DS for Garmin, a team he part owns?  I think he'd have a lot to offer.

http://tinyurl.com/n9s62gg
Working my way up to inferior.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Millar announces retirement
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2013, 10:15:27 am »
It will be sad to him leave the peleton, but all things must pass.  Like Biff, I think he does have a lot to offer cycling, and Team Garmin in particular.

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2013, 10:36:44 am »
I think he'd make a good writer as he's very articulate and his blog posts were often pretty funny. But probably not as well paying as sports directing.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim KrabbĂ©. Possibly

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2013, 10:59:59 am »
Damnit, this will make my arrival at the arrive less interesting - I shall have to change my real name to someone more current ;)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2013, 11:23:29 am »

:)
Your current name has lasted quite well!
Can you reveal what your previous one was?

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2013, 12:50:58 pm »
I had no need for a previous name. As well as being a cycling champ I've done quite well as a member of the Scottish Crown Green bowling fraternity and a member of Il Divo.  ;D (amongst others, most of them actually manage to spell it correctly too  :P )
Perhaps I'll leave it as it is. Changing it to something more exotic like  Peter Sagan has far less mileage as you observe ;)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

hillbilly

« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2013, 04:42:21 pm »
I've admired DM for as long as I've been into cycling.  The guy just has a certain panache about him.  Even in the drug revelations, he was honest about his personal failings and those of the "system" in a way that many other caught dopers have not been.

I suspect he could go down a couple of paths: sport governance, team governance, or media.  He'll probably succeed at any, as he appears to have the smarts, if his articulate and knowledgeable writings are anything to go by.  And I hope he does succeed.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #7 on: 15 October, 2013, 06:04:29 pm »
Two fond memories:

1) the best bike toss in history

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mIW1MAvyPD4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/mIW1MAvyPD4&rel=1</a>

2) a stage win in the Tour de France in 2012 (I think) where he was the main instigator in a break-away, kept the break going despite only having about a 30 second lead for well over an hour until the pack gave up the chase, and then still having the wherewithal to win the tactical finish

As well as an excellently written book on the pressures that led cyclists to cheat. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

fuzzy

« Reply #8 on: 16 October, 2013, 12:38:30 pm »
El Presidente Cookson could do us all a favour and offer him a job in the anti doping arena.