Author Topic: uk.rec.cycling  (Read 7185 times)

no97trap

Re: uk.rec.cycling
« Reply #25 on: 04 May, 2008, 11:08:06 am »
.. but wafflycat is posting about her hens in uk.rec.sheds.

I 'bumped into' Wafflycat on a hen forum. The hen fora are quite nice places.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #26 on: 07 May, 2008, 04:39:11 pm »
.. but wafflycat is posting about her hens in uk.rec.sheds.

The hen fora are quite nice places.

Great if you want to get layed I'd assume.
Owner of a languishing Langster

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #27 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:12:43 pm »
I feel rather a traitor using web forums rather than the pure commons of usenet.

I've forgotten my old noms de nets but I think I was Struck Off on uc-uk.

Used you not to be Not Responding at one time?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #28 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:31:20 pm »
He was Not Responding on ACF for a long time.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #29 on: 18 July, 2008, 02:45:06 pm »
He was Not Responding on ACF for a long time.

Aah! Light dawns.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #30 on: 18 July, 2008, 02:45:58 pm »
He is Bo*bus on a certain SSpeed-related website, and Bobby L*ghtcycles on another two cycling sites. A consummate turd.

Asterisked to help prevent the knob from trawling his usernames.

I have heard it said that you knew who he was in RL.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

rogerzilla

« Reply #31 on: 01 October, 2008, 04:55:56 pm »
Bloody hell!  Have you seen u.r.c. recently?  It's gone nuts.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #32 on: 01 October, 2008, 05:05:49 pm »
Bloody hell!  Have you seen u.r.c. recently?  It's gone nuts.

Yes but mostly can't be bothered to read or post.

« Reply #33 on: 01 October, 2008, 05:22:32 pm »
CBA myself.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #34 on: 01 October, 2008, 05:47:44 pm »
If anyone's is using Linux then think about using SLRN as a news reader. Its fast and support kill files (auto delete those trolls !). If you use it with something like Leafnode to get a local copy of the news items it's very very fast and you can burn through hundreds of items in seconds. The only comparable reader I have ever tries is Gnus on Emacs but that's a monster to configure.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

rogerzilla

« Reply #35 on: 01 October, 2008, 05:53:38 pm »
The trouble with trolls is that they always win - killfiling them doesn't stop all the nested quotes where people start feeding the troll.

There are one or two people exclusively on u.r.c. whom I'd like to see post here, but (a) when Sam tried to recruit over there he got his arse roundly kicked and (b) they actually seem to enjoy sparring with the trolls.

« Reply #36 on: 01 October, 2008, 05:59:11 pm »
The trouble with trolls is that they always win - killfiling them doesn't stop all the nested quotes where people start feeding the troll.

There are one or two people exclusively on u.r.c. whom I'd like to see post here, but (a) when Sam tried to recruit over there he got his arse roundly kicked and (b) they actually seem to enjoy sparring with the trolls.

I'm a bit reluctant to mention yACF over there too often in case it attracts the malicious attention of judith, Nuxxy and their ilk.

« Reply #37 on: 01 October, 2008, 06:24:34 pm »

That's more to do with the way he recruited and that his then forum was an empty zero at the time, IMO.  He did get treated fairly harshly, mind, but a regular urc poster wouldn't to the same degree, I'm sure.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #38 on: 01 October, 2008, 09:20:24 pm »

A proper newsreader will allow you to ignore whole sub-threads and/or do this automatically when someone replies to someone you have killfiled (and someone replies to that posting, and someone replies to that, etc).

Google Groups website is not a proper newsreader which makes the whole u.r.c experience dreadful.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rogerzilla

« Reply #39 on: 01 October, 2008, 09:26:59 pm »
Well yes, but sometimes you can throw out the wheat with the chaff when you do that; sometimes threads recover after a troll has had their say (I don't use Google Groups).

The SNR in u.r.c. has dropped to about 10% once you take out the trolls, the flames, the responses to them and the "don't feed the troll" bleating.  I do think Usenet has pretty much had its day, which is a shame - it was a fairly global community, whereas forums tend to be left- or right-pondian.

Chris S

« Reply #40 on: 01 October, 2008, 09:39:54 pm »
Unsubscribed.

Priorities and all that...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #41 on: 01 October, 2008, 11:44:28 pm »
uk.rec.sheds is the only part of usenet I still enjoy (rather than endure). It never purports to be on-topic and includes the two posters methinks RZ would like to be here.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #42 on: 02 October, 2008, 01:25:06 pm »
I'm a bit reluctant to mention yACF over there too often in case it attracts the malicious attention of judith, Nuxxy and their ilk.

Though they'd have to register, and any Applied Twattery would ensure that they became unregistered in pretty short order.

I'm still at a loss to understand why nuxxy-wuxxy hasn't presented his evidence that Guy Chapman is a murderer to the police, though...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

« Reply #43 on: 02 October, 2008, 01:37:01 pm »
I think Guy Chapman would be a particular asset to yACF, but he really does seem to relish the fights with N*xx and j*d*th.