Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1757674 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #4750 on: 30 January, 2014, 04:34:54 pm »
Excellent!

My dad worked for Cadbury's and was sent out to Ghana to build a factory that would make Bournvita for the local population.  Ghana was, and still is I think, a major producer of cocoa so the idea was rather than ship cocoa back to the UK, make it into a chocolate drink, then send it back to Ghana, the chocolate drink could be made in the country that produced the raw material.  An early example of reducing food miles.  The Ghanian's also didn't like the UK produced stuff as it wasn't sweet enough.  I was 4 when we went out there and started my education at a British Army infants school.

By the way I went down Blind Lane last night (just off the B1022).  Much of the lane is a long straight line and I wondered if it was part of an old WW2 airfield.  I was right.  The lane was closed from late 1942 until after WW2 as it became one of the two 1400 yard secondary runways of Birch Airfield which was used by the USAAF.

« Reply #4751 on: 31 January, 2014, 09:02:02 am »
Didn't make it to TMNH last night. The lanes were pretty flooded in places last night. At Abbess Roding I started to ride through one flood which got deeper and deeper, almost BB height. Just had to keep going though so got very wet feet. After that I decided to go straight home. The Terling road from Peg Millars to Witham has turned in to a stream and there's a lot of debris on the roads.

If you are out at the weekend enjoy!

rr

« Reply #4752 on: 01 February, 2014, 10:44:15 am »
Any reports on TNH I haven't been that way since the water was a foot deep and running hard at Christmas.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4753 on: 01 February, 2014, 11:12:36 am »
Any reports on TNH I haven't been that way since the water was a foot deep and running hard at Christmas.

It was fine on Wednesday night.

rr

« Reply #4754 on: 01 February, 2014, 12:14:37 pm »

It was fine on Wednesday night.

Thanks I'll try it in the morning

rr

« Reply #4755 on: 01 February, 2014, 03:51:13 pm »
Anyone been down Bumford lane or the bypass for nutty's slimy bottom  recently are they passable ?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4756 on: 01 February, 2014, 10:38:15 pm »
I was going to ask that. I'm thinking of going for a solo potter tomorrow.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4757 on: 02 February, 2014, 01:22:07 pm »
Based on my experiences today both Hoe Mill causeway and Paper Mill are flooded. As for Bumfords Lane - after the installation of additional drains, I'm told its OK, but as I couldn't get that far I cannot say for sure.

« Reply #4758 on: 02 February, 2014, 02:39:35 pm »
Met Tomsk and bobb on my wanderings today!  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4759 on: 04 February, 2014, 05:46:22 pm »
You win, Del - I only met one famous yacf-er....though in a first for me, I managed to go to Chelmsford twice in one day. Probably the most convoluted club run ever, but I totted up 81 miles. Almost all done in daylight and without wet feet [though we did brave some whopping puddles]  :thumbsup:

Back on topic, I find Book Club has been re-scheduled and I'm now free tomorrow evening. Anyone else about?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4760 on: 04 February, 2014, 10:48:41 pm »
I've been prebooked to go for a curry at the Indian Ocean Wednesday evening (bugger!) so won't be out on the bike  :facepalm:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4761 on: 05 February, 2014, 10:12:48 am »
I'm stuck in at home tonight since Liz is at a school meeting until <unspecified_time>.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4762 on: 10 February, 2014, 01:39:12 pm »
If you are planning on having nothing better to do at lunch time on Saturday 1st March how about joining me for a birthday drink and perhaps a bite to eat?

And, anyone fancy a spin on Wednesday evening?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4763 on: 11 February, 2014, 10:07:42 am »
I should be around on Wednesday night, probably available from approx 19:45ish owing to Brownie pickup.  (Actually - that might not be a restriction since they're both at Brownies now, and not one at Rainbows, one at Brownies...  I'll check with SWMBO).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4764 on: 11 February, 2014, 12:28:50 pm »
I'm unlikely to be about on the bike.  I have to be in That London all day and not sure of return time.  Also still without Vicky Vaya so would have to check road worthiness of Milano as it's not been used for a while and work is getting in the way of.........whinge.....whine.....more whinge.... :facepalm:

« Reply #4765 on: 11 February, 2014, 01:27:58 pm »
Predictable but its a no from me as well. I'm waiting for it to stop raining for more than 24 hours before I go out again. My shoes are still drying out from the flood fest endured on the other Thursday night's ride home. I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks holed up in my shed giving the Long Haul Trucker a makeover.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4766 on: 11 February, 2014, 04:13:59 pm »
My participation on Wednesday night is in some doubt.  Early last month we suffered the sudden demise of Tigger the Big Ginger Cat.  As of yesterday afternoon Simba the Smaller Ginger Cat is no longer with us either.  Suffice to say, and quite understandably, our house is full of sadness so it might be better if I stayed in.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4767 on: 11 February, 2014, 07:07:46 pm »
Sorry to hear about Simba  :(

High winds forecast for tomorrow evening. I'm itching to get out though, having had the family Lurgi and been confined to quarters for a few days.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4768 on: 18 February, 2014, 07:37:28 pm »
Erm....anyone about THIS week? Forecast is merely for a little dampness tomorrow.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4769 on: 18 February, 2014, 08:33:16 pm »
Erm....anyone about THIS week? Forecast is merely for a little dampness tomorrow.

No, but according to the current plan The Current Mrs R and I maybe in the Indian Ocean (Witham, not the wet bit between Africa and India) tomorrow evening having us tea if anyone happens to be passing.  The exact timings will depend on when I leave Newbury and how kind the M4, M25 and A12 are feeling.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4770 on: 18 February, 2014, 09:54:46 pm »
I think I have a paint brush with my name on it tomorrow evening and as for the Indian Ocean, three Wednesdays in a row would just be wrong wouldn't it?  :facepalm:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4771 on: 18 February, 2014, 10:26:30 pm »
Apparently you're coming!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4772 on: 19 February, 2014, 01:18:20 pm »
Ok, next week maybe?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4773 on: 19 February, 2014, 01:36:22 pm »
Ok, next week maybe?
Next week is looking more likely  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4774 on: 20 February, 2014, 06:56:13 am »
I'm away next week as well  ::-)  I have resigned myself to my next excursion awheel being to the Chappel Beer Fest on the 1st as we are busy at the weekend as well.  But after that things are changing, I am determined to start ticking off the miles again.