Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1757329 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #1600 on: 20 October, 2010, 04:32:55 pm »
David Kerry and I will be leaving Dunmow at about 7.30 tonight, going the long way round, [20+ miles?] via Bardfield to Littley Green. Eta Compasses 9.00pm.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1601 on: 21 October, 2010, 12:42:02 am »
Got home at about 12:15 after a lovely night out.  I'd usually at this point list a number of ales, but the Mighty Oak Barn Dancer was so nice I didn't even try anything else (unlike OD, who went mental on drink-mixing.  Ale, Barley Wine, Old Bob, "Merlot" (whatever that is) etc.

But what a wonderful cold clear moonlit night for it!

It's that time of year when you have to scrape the ice off your saddle before venturing home.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That was ACE!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1602 on: 21 October, 2010, 08:33:26 am »
That was ACE!

Oaky and I rode to the pub with Grant, one of my Witham Cycling converts.  Grant did very well with the pace and is shaping up to be a well good cyclist  :thumbsup:

I decided to ring some changes so after a couple of regular pints I had one of these ...

Then one of these ...

Lots of these ...

A couple of these ...

And finally some of this ...

Thanks chaps, a smashing night!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1603 on: 21 October, 2010, 09:34:14 am »
All I can say, OD & Oaky, is thanks for introducing me to a new perspective on cycling and beer, I was always aware of both of course but the frosty night ride and company made it particularly enjoyable  8)
Cheers,
Grant
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1604 on: 21 October, 2010, 09:54:10 am »
All I can say, OD & Oaky, is thanks for introducing me to a new perspective on cycling and beer, I was always aware of both of course but the frosty night ride and company made it particularly enjoyable  8)
Cheers,
Grant
:thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1605 on: 21 October, 2010, 01:11:17 pm »
It is quite probable that, in a year's time, my Wednesday evening commitment will be no more. If that eventuality comes about then I will be financially poorer but will have a bit more time to do interesting things like pootle off into the night and drink beer with like-minded reprobates.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1606 on: 21 October, 2010, 01:18:29 pm »
Reprobates!!!!  Who?  Where?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1607 on: 21 October, 2010, 03:28:12 pm »
I forgot to mention, sat behind us were a bunch of locals playing dominoes, each had a pile of 10p pieces.  The pile belonging to the chap drinking fruit juice was steadily getting bigger and the expense (literally) of his mates!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1608 on: 21 October, 2010, 08:01:21 pm »
Cheers,
Grant

The first of many to come!  :thumbsup:

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #1609 on: 21 October, 2010, 08:08:11 pm »
Wish i could have been there!!!!! Work and home commitmants keep blocking up wednesday nights >:(
After nexts weeks trip to the highlands to vist the out-laws I hope to be ready for plenty of wednesday nights out on the lash[quality well planed wednesday night cycle riding :thumbsup:
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1610 on: 22 October, 2010, 08:32:34 pm »
Cheers,
Grant

:thumbsup:  Welcome to the forum!

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #1611 on: 22 October, 2010, 10:47:58 pm »
Wish i could have been there!!!!! Work and home commitmants keep blocking up wednesday nights >:(
After nexts weeks trip to the highlands to vist the out-laws I hope to be ready for plenty of wednesday nights out on the lash[quality well planed wednesday night cycle riding :thumbsup:

yeah well planed indeed.

« Reply #1612 on: 23 October, 2010, 06:36:50 pm »
Coming home from work and then heading out to do some liberation, I was pretty knackered after cycling the <50mile route to the Compasses. However, I was soon recharged as the good company, ale and atmosphere of the Compasses kicked in . Lots of chuckles were had and thanks to a tip-off from Tomsk, I had a lovely ride home mostly without using the front light.  Full-moon riding is very cool and I recommend it*  :thumbsup:

I still can't explain O.D's new found drinking mixtures though  ???

Talking of drinks, I was out in London with Oaky and work colleagues on Thursday night.  Oaky was christened with two new nick names during the evening, one is unrepeatable on a family forum such as this, and the other being "Private Pint", which was a description of the pint that Oaky often buys while waiting for others to finish their drinks and get their round in.  :thumbsup:

chief

* usual safety warnings apply  :P

bloomers100

« Reply #1613 on: 29 October, 2010, 04:56:22 pm »
I noticed when I rode past the Wheatsheaf at Writtle on the commute, that it is Essex Camra pub of the year, can we have an outing there sometime?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1614 on: 29 October, 2010, 05:11:20 pm »
I noticed when I rode past the Wheatsheaf at Writtle on the commute, that it is Essex Camra pub of the year, can we have an outing there sometime?

We went there, I think it was about this time last year.  chief took me behind lots of bushes and we got a bit muddy.  Nice pub though.  Then me and Auntie Helen rode back alone thru dark and deserted lanes and we talked about the weird people you can meet on the interweb!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1615 on: 29 October, 2010, 06:51:11 pm »

We went there, I think it was about this time last year.  chief took me behind lots of bushes and we got a bit muddy.  Nice pub though.  Then me and Auntie Helen rode back alone thru dark and deserted lanes and we talked about the weird people you can meet on the interweb!

It has been visited on at least two, possibly three MEMWNS rides.  I'd certainly be up for another visit though!  I just have to avoid the ToKaMaK beasting that turned me into a gibbering wreck last time!

« Reply #1616 on: 29 October, 2010, 07:27:37 pm »
It's a good little pub - even I've made a couple of MEMWNS jaunts there!

It is only CAMRA pub of the year for Chelmsford and Mid-Essex though - not even the whole county. But they forget to mention that  :P

Nice pub though and I'd be up for a revisit....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1617 on: 01 November, 2010, 10:36:50 am »
So - how about the wheatsheaf this weds then?

« Reply #1618 on: 01 November, 2010, 12:21:52 pm »
sounds good to me :thumbsup:

bloomers100

« Reply #1619 on: 01 November, 2010, 12:44:54 pm »
I'm doubtful/could be late.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1620 on: 01 November, 2010, 05:22:17 pm »
Can't make this Wednesday chaps, we have a Real Author coming to book club. Next week is possible, though.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1621 on: 02 November, 2010, 10:43:35 pm »
I have no idea when I'll be able to set off on this ... bloody tube strike means I haven't got a clue when I'll get home.

If I can get a desk in our city office tomorrow then I'll be unaffected, but if I have to go to my own office in Canary Wharf then who knows...

I'm beginning to think it may be simpler to wait till I get home before I decide if it's worth heading out.  Who else is out to play?  (bloomers and chief?).

« Reply #1622 on: 02 November, 2010, 10:52:31 pm »
Yep up for a beverage.  I'm in the city tomorrow so can meet you on route (omp?)  if you are that way or we can coordinate a Lps/Stratford train later on if that works with the strikes.  Might be worth the chelmsford manoeuvre eitherway?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1623 on: 02 November, 2010, 11:00:50 pm »
OK - I will attempt the Chelmsford manoeuvre and hope for a desk in the City office...

EDIT: Jubilee line between Stratford and the Wharf is running (reduced service though) and DLR is running, so I may be OK...

bloomers100

« Reply #1624 on: 03 November, 2010, 07:49:47 am »
Gentlemen I will be rugby coaching then I have a meeting in the parish at 8, so depending on how long this goes on and how sociable they are will determine what time I get free.

I am pleased with myself that I decoded Chief's message. (omp).

If I get free at a reasonable hour I will text one/both of you, I can get to the Wheatsheaf in 20 mins. if that is your choice.