Author Topic: Robot mowers  (Read 12118 times)

Tail End Charlie

Re: Robot mowers
« Reply #25 on: 06 June, 2019, 05:25:08 pm »
I'd get a mulch mower (which is basically a mower with a plug for the grass outlet and maybe twin blades). Then rethink how often and where you mow. When I first started mowing my grass it would take me four hours (and I'd have the clippings to get rid of).
Now I mow paths and leave the rest, the bees love clover and butterflies and there are other wild flowers as well. I've got the mowing down to 45 mins a week (and no clippings to worry about). Once a year I do the whole lot.
It's worth spending a chunk of money on a good mower, but it'll still be cheaper than a robot.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #26 on: 13 June, 2019, 03:15:35 pm »
I'd get a mulch mower

That would undoubtedly save time on emptying the clippings, but you have to mow more often, so swings and roundabouts. A robot mulches the clippings and won’t complain about going out 3 or 4 times a week.

We’ve tried the wild flower meadow thing. We ended up with a jungle of ugly weeds.

I’m pretty sold on the idea of getting a robot, mostly just want the thoughts of anyone who has one on how to choose the right one, and the pitfalls of ownership.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27 on: 13 June, 2019, 03:26:28 pm »
It cost several thousand pounds I believe. It didn't come from B&Q or a garden centre the guys a farmer so I suspect he got it from an agricultural machinery dealer.

Something along these lines?

Robo mowers

Cost range from £500 to £15,000, though the most expensive model does come with a lovely body kit and some rather snazzy wheels (oh and of secondary importance it can manage gardens of nearly 5 acres)  ;D

Some awesome looking bits of kit there. The capacity isn’t necessarily of secondary importance - our garden is too big for the cheapest mowers on that site.

I guess features like rain sensors are the difference between mowers that are truly autonomous and ones that require some manual intervention.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

spindrift

« Reply #28 on: 07 April, 2020, 11:14:13 am »
There's no reason why you couldn't dress up your cats in WW2 flying helmets and goggles, sit the cats on the robots* and recreate the Battle of Britain.

*I concede this bit could be time-consuming.

« Reply #29 on: 05 May, 2020, 02:00:10 pm »
Friends have one which does a great job - trundles around day and night (it's got a little headlamp), and goes to bed when it rains.
Their lawn is immaculate (think croquet lawn)

We thought about it, but we have a very lumpy grass area (moles, voles and rabbits)
The main reason we did not take it seriously, was I think it would get stolen within a month.
We live in a remote rural area, but everything has to be locked up.