Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 524453 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3950 on: 02 July, 2020, 05:26:32 pm »
Thank you Mr and Mrs Josser for hosting last night's country-garden party, barbecue and beer festival extravaganza. It was a great evening - lockdown MEMWNS bowing out in style before we venture out to a pub next week.

« Reply #3951 on: 02 July, 2020, 05:34:25 pm »
Thank you Mr and Mrs Josser for hosting last night's country-garden party, barbecue and beer festival extravaganza. It was a great evening - lockdown MEMWNS bowing out in style before we venture out to a pub next week.

I concur. Lovely hospitality and setting, amidst all the wild animals and birds of the estate.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3952 on: 02 July, 2020, 06:44:09 pm »
Yes - a cracking night in the garden of Casa Josser along with the ducklings, cows, cats and chickens, none of which were barbecued.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3953 on: 02 July, 2020, 07:08:15 pm »
Yep, top banana both of you and many thanks!

rob

« Reply #3954 on: 02 July, 2020, 07:34:08 pm »
Lovely evening.  Thanks everyone for the company and Mr and Mrs Josser for the hospitality.

I have now found the elephant.

« Reply #3955 on: 02 July, 2020, 09:20:53 pm »
Thanks Joss and the Dutch Wife, lovely evening and great to meet the Ducks.
They are obviously already ACME members, they are quackers!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3956 on: 09 July, 2020, 08:30:47 am »
Chucking it down last night as I set off, but eased to light rain as I arrived at the OT, just as rob was locking up. The gazebo was fully occupied, but inside there was lots of room and I found jibers and BFC already ensconced. A drier ride home, hooray!

Table service from Naomi and a good selection of ales, if slightly fewer than normal here. Weird out and then back in again one-way route to the gents, but otherwise the pub seemed to have adapted ok to the situation. I completely understand why many will be reluctant to risk public gatherings, especially indoors, but 'Essex Pub Rescue' is a noble cause. Over the next few weeks perhaps we can concentrate on a few core favourites that work well for us? The Spiritual Home will feature heavily I'm sure.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3957 on: 09 July, 2020, 03:30:32 pm »
Marks Hall estate is looking to get funding for an 8km cycle path heading between Coggeshall and Earls Colne airfield - looks like a great alternative to the B1024 and also a new cafe stop potentially - they are pulling together a survey to use as part of the bid for funding that only takes a few mins to complete... seems worth supporting as long as they get the path surface right... details here:

https://www.markshall.org.uk/cycle-path-project

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3958 on: 09 July, 2020, 04:29:21 pm »
Thanks for linking that  :thumbsup:. Certainly looks like a great idea, and a potential cafe stop when out on longer rides. Survey completed.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3959 on: 10 July, 2020, 12:42:00 pm »
Marks Hall estate is looking to get funding for an 8km cycle path heading between Coggeshall and Earls Colne airfield - looks like a great alternative to the B1024 and also a new cafe stop potentially - they are pulling together a survey to use as part of the bid for funding that only takes a few mins to complete... seems worth supporting as long as they get the path surface right... details here:

https://www.markshall.org.uk/cycle-path-project

I used to live in Coggeshall, and was a member at The Essex, so used roughly the route of that path on several occasions. It's lovely, so I really hope they manage to bring it to fruition.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3960 on: 16 July, 2020, 07:43:37 am »
Thanks BFC for hosting last night's nearly-a-pub-garden bash.  :thumbsup:

Anyone else for Hereward 300km route on Saturday, 06:00 start from my house? No need to ride all of it. Btw, I'm aiming for 2nd breakfast in Cambridge, then oh how I've missed the Fens! If back by last orders, good, otherwise before midnight ...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3961 on: 16 July, 2020, 10:21:01 am »
Yep - thanks to BFC for excellent hosting.

I had to call Team Car last night after a pothole took out the back wheel, I couldn't work out where the air was coming out, after looking this morning it is the tyre/rim point next to the valve - no idea if it's the actual bead or not until I take the tyre off but not something I could resolve in the dark country lane so made the call and had a snooze in a farm entrance whilst waiting!.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3962 on: 16 July, 2020, 10:54:20 am »
An excellent evening, thank you BFC - there are landlords I know who could learn a thing or two about service from a man like you...

It did all get a bit late and I didn't arrive back offshore until after 3 - which went down well.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

rob

« Reply #3963 on: 16 July, 2020, 01:44:16 pm »
An excellent evening, thank you BFC - there are landlords I know who could learn a thing or two about service from a man like you...

It did all get a bit late and I didn't arrive back offshore until after 3 - which went down well.

I could see you were all settling in nicely.   I got in at 11:45 as I had to be on-line at 8 this morning.

Thanks to BFC for looking after us again.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3964 on: 17 July, 2020, 12:25:22 pm »
Re: 'Not Hereward', I'm slightly laid-up with a recurrence of an infected big toe problem and am on a week's worth of antibiotics as of today, so I'm erring on the side of caution and giving tomorrow's 300km a miss. Actually cycling is much less painful than hobbling around (and my spd sandals are by far the comfiest footware to walk in, as very little toe-bending occurs), but I don't want to risk a knackered foot to add to my dodgy digit.

Very sorry to be missing out. I'll probably do some gentle rides this weekend instead and hope all is well by 1st August.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #3965 on: 17 July, 2020, 06:58:56 pm »
I will not be attempting the Not Hereward - after a revamp of the trackdax bike (put a dynamo wheelset back on) I gave it a test run - left knee didn't like the uphill bits. Need to get the legs back into cycling mode before attempting longer distances.

« Reply #3966 on: 17 July, 2020, 08:21:02 pm »
I've also wimped out for tomorrow, I'll be doing a 200k up to the Orchard Gardens

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3967 on: 18 July, 2020, 03:47:51 pm »
Did an hour's ride round Lindsell this morning. No major issues, though any hard pedalling and out of the saddle especially I was 'aware' of the toe problem, but no pain like two days ago. The antibiotics are kicking in and generally no significant pressure or soreness felt. I've yet to try walking in normal flexible shoes/sandals, but I suspect stiff soles are a good idea for now. I'll head to Chelmo tomorrow and join the CTC run, for the morning only. They're supposedly riding out in sub-groups of up to 6 at the moment. Think it'll be my first CTC run of the year.

rob

« Reply #3968 on: 18 July, 2020, 07:39:03 pm »
Got round Hereward the Wake, riding mostly with Mick, who I caught in Cambridge.

Very enjoyable day out and a nice double century after riding to/from the start.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3969 on: 19 July, 2020, 12:56:14 pm »
Got round Hereward the Wake, riding mostly with Mick, who I caught in Cambridge.

Very enjoyable day out and a nice double century after riding to/from the start.

Well done! A good day for it yesterday, though the cooler temperatures today make a refreshing change. Back from a gentle and sociable 40 mile morning ride with Chelmsford CTC, good to catch up with them.

rob

« Reply #3970 on: 25 July, 2020, 08:50:27 am »
Rode round Horses for Courses yesterday.   I continued past the track to the new services on the A11 which is about an extra half a mile.   Seems pretty audax friendly with a garage/spar, a McDonald’s, a Starbucks and a Greggs.   Everything was open but with Covid measures in place. 

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3971 on: 26 July, 2020, 10:42:48 am »
Is 6% ABV too strong for a Witbier?
Asking for a friend.... ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3972 on: 26 July, 2020, 10:50:30 am »
Is 6% ABV too strong for a Witbier?
Asking for a friend.... ::-)

It depends on how much bike riding is required afterwards. Exhaustive testing by some of our number would suggest the stronger the beer the better the bike riding although on occasion walking has proved a challenge.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3973 on: 26 July, 2020, 06:16:05 pm »
Rode round Horses for Courses yesterday.   I continued past the track to the new services on the A11 which is about an extra half a mile.   Seems pretty audax friendly with a garage/spar, a McDonald’s, a Starbucks and a Greggs.   Everything was open but with Covid measures in place.

:thumbsup: We went to McDonalds there on the Horsepower Helpers' Ride in early March. Good to know it's all open.

I rode the Richard Ellis 100km this afternoon, up to the Maglia Rosso (with a few extra bits) and am minded to produce perm. versions of the 100 & 200, maybe for some sort of group Richard Ellis Memorial Permanents weekend in October, if calendar events are still out of bounds then. Given the tweaks to the route with info controls, there would have to be some alternatives, maybe on as far as Stowmarket for the 200. I'll have a session with Mrs Google this week.

« Reply #3974 on: 28 July, 2020, 08:36:06 pm »
Picking up on OD's September outing suggestion, it is looking increasingly unlikely that No. 2 son and I will be riding through Europe in September.

We will either do something in the UK (possibly a Viking-themed route) to which all would be welcome or I might be looking to join an ACME tour of some sort with added camping.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways