Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517720 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #4000 on: 31 July, 2020, 03:11:38 pm »
"Dunce" in this case probably.

With OD coming along they will be fine.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4001 on: 31 July, 2020, 07:40:00 pm »
Yes to Curry :thumbsup:, bring own beer, well ok then, been doing a bit of that recently. Check the high tide mark on the beach at late o'clock and make a decision! What's the current rate of sea level rise, 2mm/year? We may not get another chance!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4002 on: 03 August, 2020, 10:01:27 am »
Yes to Curry :thumbsup:, bring own beer, well ok then, been doing a bit of that recently. Check the high tide mark on the beach at late o'clock and make a decision! What's the current rate of sea level rise, 2mm/year? We may not get another chance!

Right then, I will give 'em a ring.   We can have a more detailed planning session on Wednesday evening.  I have already changed Fred's tyres and checked to see how much room my new sleeping bag takes up in a pannier.  Exciting!

« Reply #4003 on: 04 August, 2020, 06:07:04 pm »
Talking of beer, The Belgium Brewer are crowdsourcing for funding of their new indoor facilities. The rewards are pretty good if you need to stock up on decent beer ... £200 gets you 96 330ml bottles of their finest.

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/the-belgian-brewer-community-taproom-project?mc_cid=7bb9451cfa&mc_eid=7d66b5d19c

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4004 on: 04 August, 2020, 06:08:50 pm »
Talking of beer, The Belgium Brewer are crowdsourcing for funding of their new indoor facilities. The rewards are pretty good if you need to stock up on decent beer ... £200 gets you 96 330ml bottles of their finest.

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/the-belgian-brewer-community-taproom-project?mc_cid=7bb9451cfa&mc_eid=7d66b5d19c

I’d need a special offer on livers before I was brave enough to buy 96 bottles of Belgian beer!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4005 on: 05 August, 2020, 07:17:05 pm »

Right then, I will give 'em a ring.   We can have a more detailed planning session on Wednesday evening.  I have already changed Fred's tyres and checked to see how much room my new sleeping bag takes up in a pannier.  Exciting!

Count me in.  I'll need to have a think about how light or not I plan to travel :)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

rob

« Reply #4006 on: 05 August, 2020, 09:18:38 pm »
Bricks & Moretaine 200k today.   Some familiar roads but a new stretch South of Bedford was fun.

At the last minute I remembered a colleague lives in Codicote so I texted him from the spokes bike and coffee shed and he was there 10 minutes later.  I wasted an hour in the sun before remembering that I was on a ride.  It didn’t get too hot in the end but I was still a bit dry by the end.   Rehydrating on the sofa - sorry I’m not at the pub.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4007 on: 06 August, 2020, 07:30:46 am »
Bricks & Moretaine 200k today.   Some familiar roads but a new stretch South of Bedford was fun.

At the last minute I remembered a colleague lives in Codicote so I texted him from the spokes bike and coffee shed and he was there 10 minutes later.  I wasted an hour in the sun before remembering that I was on a ride.  It didn’t get too hot in the end but I was still a bit dry by the end.   Rehydrating on the sofa - sorry I’m not at the pub.

I've been meaning to pop into Spokes to check it out. I usually pop into the first shop, the interestingly named S&M Foodstore ... How was Pulloxhill btw? I've not managed all of it yet on fixed, due to the perils of tacking just on the blind summit! I'd like to revisit Bricks & Moretaine at some point for my August 200km.

rob

« Reply #4008 on: 06 August, 2020, 07:38:14 am »

I've been meaning to pop into Spokes to check it out. I usually pop into the first shop, the interestingly named S&M Foodstore ... How was Pulloxhill btw? I've not managed all of it yet on fixed, due to the perils of tacking just on the blind summit! I'd like to revisit Bricks & Moretaine at some point for my August 200km.

Spokes was pretty busy.  Big group of C.C. Ashwell were in.  Not terribly cheap at a fiver for coffee + cake.  The coffee was very good, though.

The hills were fine but I’m currently running gears.  I’ll swap back to fixed for the Winter.

I’ll drop my completed cards through your door a bit later on.  Hoping to do Horses for Courses on Sunday.

« Reply #4009 on: 06 August, 2020, 05:03:43 pm »
This a relatively new perm Tom?

If you can put the details in https://perms-edit.audax.uk/ and email the output I can get it added to the permanents map.

Another perm that passes close by and I wasn’t  aware of.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4010 on: 06 August, 2020, 06:47:34 pm »
Bricks and Moretaine is about a year old, maybe? I've got a bit of admin tonight - last Saturday's perm. valdations mainly, but I'll have a go if time, Phil.

« Reply #4011 on: 06 August, 2020, 06:59:18 pm »
Newer than when we did the initial creation of the perm map. No rush tonight, just do it when you get time and before you forget.

rob

« Reply #4012 on: 06 August, 2020, 07:25:50 pm »
Dropped my cards round today.  I’m planning Horses for Courses on Sunday to take advantage of the forecast North Easterly.  Might need an early start to avoid the heat.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4013 on: 06 August, 2020, 08:26:49 pm »
Newer than when we did the initial creation of the perm map. No rush tonight, just do it when you get time and before you forget.

Ok Phil - having just spent 1.5 hours doing admin for the week's perms, (and not just from the 1st - some are keen!), I feel I need to switch off for a bit now! I think I'll go and water a few pots out the back ... at least it's cooling down now - been out and about doing 8 hours of gardening today.

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #4014 on: 09 August, 2020, 07:16:23 pm »
I don't think Tomsk will be doing any Audax perm admin this weekend....

Our bikes just happen to cross paths early this evening at Bures. He mentioned he is on a mini w/e Tour of B.O.E. Borders of Essex I believe.  Judging by the the amount of kit packed in his front panniers, bar bag and saddle bag; I could be mistaken that he is actually doing the Borders of East Anglia or even Borders of England.

2 hour ride to and from Colchester is enough for me this weekend in this Sahara Desert heat.
CCS - Setting the Standards

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4015 on: 09 August, 2020, 07:28:14 pm »
That reminds me, for those who haven’t caught up with the social media feeds of me and Oaky our bivvy night was a terrific success!  Yesterday morning, after a bacon roll and coffee at Greggs in Maldon, we waved Tomsk off on his circumnavigation of Essex. But not until we’d watched him fix a puncture and guarded his bike whilst he went shopping for a 15mm spanner.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4016 on: 14 August, 2020, 07:48:30 pm »
Now that permanent brevets up to 600km are ok'd from tomorrow and the season is extended by a month back to where is used to be, the thought occurs that an SR is possible ...

Any interest in an SR in a (long) week? 400 & 600 at the weekends, 200 & 300 mid-week if needed. I'd favour a Flatliner 600km first and a DIY 400km from home on more-or-less the A&S route, the second weekend. Two Gavin & Staceys (there and back) would fun, or extend one to 600 with the Black Mountain leg! You could have a day off in-between on Barry Island eating chips, icecream and drinking beer. Lush!

« Reply #4017 on: 14 August, 2020, 07:56:47 pm »
Yep, I’m up for this :-)
Zijn specialiteit was sprinten om de zesde plaats

rob

« Reply #4018 on: 14 August, 2020, 08:35:33 pm »
I was thinking something similar but the next 2 weeks have gone a bit mad. 

I’ll definitely do Flatliner in the next few weeks.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4019 on: 15 August, 2020, 07:34:56 am »
For me, 19-27 September is being kept free for 4 x audaxes. I should be able to work them around normal work/family life, so I will put together a conservative plan and calculate the sleep/work balance!

Riding to Wales and back might be a bit ambitious, given my mileage is way down on recent years, though in early May 2018 I rode my 'Grand' DIY, not really expecting to be fit and fast enough to get round in under 75 hours. The main aim was to check the route, so I could always revert to touring mode. As it turned out I had rather less sleep than plannned, but got round comfortably enough with hours in hand. The weather was kind though, with light winds, mild nights and nothing like as hot as it got later in the year!

rob

« Reply #4020 on: 15 August, 2020, 08:44:46 am »
My new job starts 14th Sep.  I’m probably going to try to do something starting the August Bank Holiday weekend.

J starts his new school 7th Sep so I’ll need to maintain some sort of presence that week.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4021 on: 16 August, 2020, 05:58:19 pm »
Boudicca 200km ridden today, routesheet now updated and on AUKweb. Bit of a refresh, with somehow more route and historical information packed in!

I managed to get back before the latest crop of thunderstorms, though there were a couple of places with left-over flood water from earlier. One had a distinct odour - something agricultural had run off I think ... my feet and sandals need a good disinfecting!

rob

« Reply #4022 on: 16 August, 2020, 06:17:08 pm »
Horses for Courses today.  Nice ride out apart from a wasp sting 10k from the turn.

I got as far as Harling on the way back when the storm came in.  The rain was torrential and I was riding through floods.  I was toying with finding somewhere to stop when my rear wheel went flat.  I hid under a tree and found the thorn.  I was just short of Sapiston and, 200 yds after I set off there was a bus shelter, in fact there were 2.  By the time I reached RAF Honington the roads were completely dry.

The sun came out and I dried out until Great Sampford when there was another storm so the last 20k were a bit soggy.

rob

« Reply #4023 on: 20 August, 2020, 06:45:10 pm »
I did a 200k perm to Lincoln on Tuesday.  The last 20 odd k are on the water railway, a cycle path that follows an old railway line.  I spotted someone sat on a bench in a PBP jersey and it was a chap from Notts who runs some of the Alfreton events.  I’ve completely forgotten his name but he was at the ACME annual get together at the Compasses last Nov.

« Reply #4024 on: 20 August, 2020, 07:57:22 pm »
I spotted someone sat on a bench in a PBP jersey and it was a chap from Notts who runs some of the Alfreton events.  I’ve completely forgotten his name but he was at the ACME annual get together at the Compasses last Nov.

Mr Ogden?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43