Author Topic: Sleeping Bag  (Read 2973 times)

ed_o_brain

Sleeping Bag
« on: 25 January, 2010, 10:30:32 pm »
At work we do overnight website releases. I'm planning to buy a sleeping bag so that I can get a few hours sleep at work before and after the release. (Not much point riding the 35 miles home and back..)

So.. how much should I spend? Cotswold Outdoor are around the corner from work and have a couple of sleeping bags <£30, these both have £20 knocked off the RRP. If I actually use the sleeping bag for some summer camping, is it likely to be sufficient or should I spend a bit more?

What attributes should I look for? The office tends to be quite cool anyway.

Thanks.

Re: Sleeping Bag
« Reply #1 on: 25 January, 2010, 10:32:33 pm »
Cheap as chips will do you in an office. Summer camping doesn't need expensive sleeping bags either unless you are looking for something really light.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2010, 10:33:33 pm »
Get the business to pay for a hotel.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #3 on: 25 January, 2010, 10:36:25 pm »
Why can't they arrange for remote access?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2010, 10:45:10 pm »
Get the best one you can afford and then use it for camping as well :thumbsup:. it's easy to cool down a sleeping bag (undo the bottom of the zip or use it as a duvet) but you can't make it warmer if it isn't good enough.

[/person who feels the cold and camps in January]
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:24:31 am »
Go for a cheap cheerful bag if you are to desert it, unsecured in the offfice. Mishaps with coffee, Pot Noodles and other contaminants can be laughed or washed off and you won't weep if the bag 'walks' one day.
If you have a really secure place to store your bag, away from colleagues' grubby mitts, get a nice one, as Butterfly suggests.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:31:04 am »
Set up the files to be released automatically with a script.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:32:54 am »
Rectangular is probably a comfort win for office camping.  In fact, my lower back reckons rectangular is a comfort win for everything except freeze-your-bits-off camping, and the extra bulk/weight is worth it for actually getting some sleep, but sleeping bag manufacturers don't seem to have caught on to this  :(

If you're buying cheap and cheerful, make sure it has a zip at both ends.  Having to undo the whole thing when you just want to stick your foot out to lose some heat is very irritating.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #8 on: 26 January, 2010, 08:23:08 am »
Set up the files to be released automatically with a script.

It err.. doesn't quite work like that. It's not the release per se... it's the support afterwards for snagging issues.

It's not just a web site, but over a dozen web applications to over twenty five servers.

« Reply #9 on: 26 January, 2010, 10:08:59 am »
(Not much point riding the 35 miles home and back..)

Call it training, especially if you're getting paid by the company to do it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 26 January, 2010, 10:10:07 am »
Presumably the company will pay for the sleeping bag and do a risk assessment etc?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #11 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:32:09 pm »
I think they are supposed to stay awake. Asking for a sleeping bag might not go down too well.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #12 on: 26 January, 2010, 03:17:19 pm »
At work we do overnight website releases. I'm planning to buy a sleeping bag so that I can get a few hours sleep at work before and after the release.

I keep reading about the drive for employees to benefit from what is termed "flexible working". It's not supposed to mean that employers are able to indulge in exploitation more easily.  >:(

ed_o_brain

« Reply #13 on: 26 January, 2010, 03:49:07 pm »
If I really wanted to I could probably get them to spring for a hotel.

I prefer the sleeping bag option. It's more flexible. Handy for a power nap before I ride home  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 26 January, 2010, 04:34:24 pm »
I keep reading about the drive for employees to benefit from what is termed "flexible working". It's not supposed to mean that employers are able to indulge in exploitation more easily.  >:(
Do keep up, this is the 21st century, we're in the post-humane age now.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.