Author Topic: LED Camping Lanterns  (Read 3482 times)

LED Camping Lanterns
« on: 21 March, 2010, 10:22:34 am »
We hvave just bought a Vango 36 LED dynamo lantern that has a 240v adaptor and a 12v car adaptor which we thought would give us the best options for both easy and emergency charging.

However, it only lasts 30mins or so on a charge at full brightness (a level which is quite good), after which it rapidly dims and then carries on for longer (dunno how long yet!) at this dim output.

Reading between the lines of a virtually non existant spec I assume that the comment - 2mins winding for 25mins light - means that the capacity of the 'batteries' is just 25mins even from a 24h charge.

Is this 'fit for purpose'?  Are all LED lanterns similar?  Any recommendations for proper lanterns?  Any thoughts on any other thoughts?

Thanks

R

http://www.vango.co.uk/accessories/36led-dynamo-lantern.html

Re: LED Camping Lanterns
« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2010, 10:53:10 am »
I've an Alpkit LED lantern and it is very very good and very cheap - like all the Alpkit stuff. http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16376

« Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2010, 10:56:54 am »
I got one like Russell's one (I think it was 'National Trust branded) for Christmas a couple of years ago, but with different LED arrangement. Light output was very poor, and the battery life once charged went from about 20 mins down to about 5 minutes quite quickly.  >:(
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Zoidburg

« Reply #3 on: 21 March, 2010, 08:18:04 pm »
I would buy a tacticool torch like a Fenix or similar and buy a diffuser wand for it, job done.

Fenix TK Lantern Diffuser - FenixTorch.co.uk

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 21 March, 2010, 09:11:25 pm »
I would buy a tacticool torch like a Fenix or similar and buy a diffuser wand for it, job done.
How do you get it to stand upright? I know the Fenix will stand on a flat surface, but you don't always have that when camping.

Zoidburg

« Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2010, 11:48:04 am »
Hang it off something with the lanyard.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 22 March, 2010, 06:12:52 pm »
Dinotte 600L. For when you absolutely, positively have to light up the entire forest. Or give people a silhouette of you undressing.

It's also great at 3am when your drunk, it's raining, stick it into strobe along with the rear, and have a rave with your ipod. Or is that only me?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #7 on: 22 March, 2010, 07:27:39 pm »
UFO LED lights are what you're after  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 23 March, 2010, 10:37:51 am »
UFO LED lights are what you're after

Do you have one, epa?  It's very cheap compared to lanterns - how bright is it?  It looks as though it hangs vertically as if it was on a bulkhead, is that right?

Thanks

R

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 24 March, 2010, 06:41:44 pm »
In India most households have something like this to cope with the many power cuts. It lasts about two hours with both tubes on and another hour with just one. The problem for you is it needs mains power to charge it up.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #10 on: 24 March, 2010, 07:10:59 pm »
UFO LED lights are what you're after

Do you have one, epa?  It's very cheap compared to lanterns - how bright is it?  It looks as though it hangs vertically as if it was on a bulkhead, is that right?

Thanks

R

I've had ones from both Poundland and Wilkinsons.  The Wilkinsons ones are better.  See this thread on UKCampsite, or do a search on it - loads of folks on there also use them  :thumbsup:  Depeding on model they either hang vertically or horizontally.  I thing Asda etc also do them.

HTH.  Paul