Author Topic: Mouldy tent  (Read 1975 times)

Mouldy tent
« on: 30 March, 2010, 10:29:22 pm »
Or, cleaning a tent without access to an open space. 

My tent has, sadly, developed a bit of mould and must.  I reckon the back room where I keep it is a bit damp, as I made sure it was dry before I put it away last September, and I dragged it out in December to check it.

Now, I can pitch it in someone's garden with all mod cons laid on, but not for a week or two, in which time things ain't getting any better.

So - do we think it's OK to de-mouldify it and clean it in a bowl, then lay it on the line in the back yard to dry, scrubbing it while it's there?

Also, what's the best stuff for killing the mould?  After a-googling the other week, I bought some Milton fluid which will hopefully do the trick.

Any top tips? 

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
Re: Mouldy tent
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2010, 12:06:32 pm »
Don't know what type of fabric your tent is but its is likely that after treating with Miltons you will probably need to re-proof with something like Fabsil.

If you have mould stains in is very unlikely you will be able to get them out, BUT you should be able to kill the mould and have a useable if slightly stained tent again.
Owner of a languishing Langster

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2010, 12:33:25 pm »
If you have a dry, windy day and access to a longish washing line, let the fly sheet air in the breeze. (Tent fly sheets seem very large when without poles.) I'm not sure if it's wise to use anything strong to remove the stains.

« Reply #3 on: 04 April, 2010, 02:03:26 pm »
Thanks, guys.  I've stretched it out on the line, and it's drying after I've treated it with some (diluted) Milton's.  I'd rather

AS UB points out, I'll have to do this twice more, to clean it, then re-proof it.  Finding dry days in north-east England can be tricky, so this may take a while.

But - N+1 applies to tents as well as bikes, doesn't it? ;D

« Reply #4 on: 04 April, 2010, 02:22:18 pm »
What is your flysheet made from?   I noticed a large build up of mould on my Hilleberg Nallo a couple of years back.   It is possible to buy some stuff, and to make up your own cleaning concoctions.   Just google and you'll find plenty of tips.

However,

I pitched my tent in a warm, dry, sunny spot for a few days and, hey presto, most of the mould disappeared.   

I wiped it down on the inside when it was warm and dry with water, nothing else.

I remain pleasantly pleased.