Author Topic: Campsites near Falkirk  (Read 4229 times)

Campsites near Falkirk
« on: 17 August, 2010, 09:27:24 am »
I want to visit the Falkirk Wheel :). As we are going to Scotland, this should be possible, but we need a campsite near Falkirk (or at least within a reasonable ride). Any ideas?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Re: Campsites near Falkirk
« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2010, 09:56:18 am »
I may be wrong but I don't think there are any campsites in Falkirk.

You could stay at Beecraigs Country Park near Linlithgow. It's not far to the Falkirk Wheel either on road or else ride alongside the Union Canal from Linlithgow to the Falkirk Wheel
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2010, 12:17:46 pm »
Thank you :). It looks like a nice site.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2010, 01:19:40 pm »
I want to visit the Falkirk Wheel :). As we are going to Scotland, this should be possible, but we need a campsite near Falkirk (or at least within a reasonable ride). Any ideas?

The Falkirk Wheel is nice. Falkirk itself is only marginally better than Cumbernauld. They do seem almost embarrassed about the wheel. I had to use an OS map to find it wheras one would expect tourist attraction signs for such a thing.

England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland Camp Sites Map Search PLUS France! may well help
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Hello, I am Bruce

• Hello, I am Bruce
  • Hello, I am Bruce
    • Flickr Photos
« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2010, 04:16:15 pm »
They do seem almost embarrassed about the wheel. I had to use an OS map to find it wheras one would expect tourist attraction signs for such a thing.

If you camp at Beecraigs and ride along the canal from L'gow, then finding the wheel will not be a problem.  (You'll also go over the impressive Avon Aquaduct and arrive at the wheel through a big tunnel.)

I used to go camping under the Avon Aquaduct as a teenager, but I'd recommend you go for the proper campsite unless you are used to pitching up late and leaving early at discrete spots.

« Reply #5 on: 17 August, 2010, 10:01:31 pm »
Cyclops is right, no campsites nearby at all as far as I'm aware.  People do still camp under the aqueduct in Muiravonside Country Park.  Alternatively, you'd be welcome to camp in my garden.  I live about 2 miles from the wheel, but not in Falkirk.

Zep (formally known as RJMcB)

ps. If you're in the area and like odd constructions, you should visit The Pineapple too.