Author Topic: YACF camping:members  (Read 4258 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
YACF camping:members
« on: 18 August, 2010, 04:56:29 pm »
The thread about cycle-campers being charged silly £ for one night stop-overs makes it easy to appreciate the way in which some forum members provide assistance in this manner.
So is it possible/a good idea to have a list of forum members who can & could provide space for an overnight tent pitch?
I think it would need to be "policed" to prevent any tomdickorharry turning up un-announced:limited to forum members & on a pre-arranged basis.
Perhaps a list of members with their approx. location & contact made via the PM system?
Journeys of various length could be undertaken in the comforting knowledge of spending a night in the company of like-minded folk.

Whaddyathink?

EDIT:we have flat,well drained space for a two-man tent plus secure cycle storeage & if you are brave enough to eat it I can do toast and porridge for brekky.There are two pubs within staggering distance.

Re: YACF camping:members
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2010, 05:02:24 pm »
Sounds like a good idea. Unfortunatly I can't contribute anywhere to pitch up, only having a small concrete yard where I live.
Don't ask.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 18 August, 2010, 05:07:16 pm »
We have a small garden in South London which people would be welcome to pitch in, when we're about. :)
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 18 August, 2010, 05:11:21 pm »
We have a garden big enough for a 4-man tent (on the flat well-drained bit; you could get another one on the sloping bit).  Actually, you could get a 12-man tent up if I hadn't put a rose bed in the middle.

And if it rains you could use your mat and sleeping bag on the floor of the spare room.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 18 August, 2010, 05:19:54 pm »
If you have mountaineering style cam or nut tent pegs, then you can camp on our decking. We do have spare rooms too, and cats that lick bald heads.
It is simpler than it looks.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #5 on: 18 August, 2010, 07:25:12 pm »
If people get really stuck and aren't bothered with sleeping bags indoors I can offer loadsa floor space/sofas in the town hall. I reckon upto about 100 in sleeping bags might fit. Sadly no spaces at home :( But there is a kettle, heating, power, wifi, and loos. But no showers. Usually a bar too.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 18 August, 2010, 07:33:02 pm »
Our garden isn't suitable, being small and largely inhabited by a shitting dog.

However, we have plenty of spare indoor space for sleeping, having a house designed for sleeping at least 8 but there being only three of us living here. Southend's not really on the way anywhere, but anyone leaving London and heading for East Anglia could do worse. You might be forced to put up with our company towards Chelmsford for your onward journey though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7 on: 18 August, 2010, 07:40:50 pm »
Anyone on the popular E2E or C2C routes wish to contribute?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 18 August, 2010, 07:49:25 pm »
I'm on the E2E ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #9 on: 18 August, 2010, 08:02:21 pm »
Bristol is probably on the E2E route...

We have a small garden that would cater for a 2 persons tent + inside floor space for 2 or 3.
Chief cat entertainer.

rogerzilla

« Reply #10 on: 18 August, 2010, 08:21:46 pm »
The in-laws have a cottage on the C2C route.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #11 on: 18 August, 2010, 08:26:21 pm »
We have a back garden which can take a tent or two...

...and we also have two spare rooms.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 18 August, 2010, 08:28:02 pm »
I don't expect anyone wants to camp in an obscure part of Eastern Europe, but if they do we have plenty of land and some secure (though rather dirty and cluttered) bike parking. Not really my land, but no one will object while I'm here!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #13 on: 18 August, 2010, 08:33:08 pm »
I am near Cheddar in Somerset and have a garden big enough for a 6 man tent, a spare room for 1, or I could fit about 8 people on airbeds in the lounge  ;D
I could even provide the tent and airbeds if required.
2 pubs in staggering distance, double garage for safe bike storage. Track pump to use. Only thing lacking in this house is someone who can cook decent food  8)

rogerzilla

« Reply #14 on: 18 August, 2010, 08:36:23 pm »
Well, if it's a pub contest, there are six in this village and at least four of them serve good beer  :P

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #15 on: 18 August, 2010, 08:45:03 pm »
In Brum I have a spare room suitable for 2 consenting adults (double bed) and no camping.  Visits would be dependent on me actually being there too.

In Wales (NCR 82) I have suitable overnight camping for a couple of tents and although Mrs. Basil is permanently resident it would still be dependent on me being there too.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #16 on: 18 August, 2010, 08:46:40 pm »
Pfft. I can count 36 within a minute walk.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

rogerzilla

« Reply #17 on: 18 August, 2010, 08:53:20 pm »
Basils or tents?

« Reply #18 on: 18 August, 2010, 09:18:49 pm »
We've got a sloping exposed garden and a short walk to a crap pub. Sorry, that doesn't sound very inviting, does it. Near the south downs way though.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #19 on: 18 August, 2010, 10:14:39 pm »
I'm on LEJOG but have a weedy yardlet.  Anyway the campsites down here are luvly.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #20 on: 20 August, 2010, 07:58:18 am »
I'm in Hove & have a flat area engough for a 2 man tent or a 6, poss 8 if you don't mind being on a slight slope.

Nearest pub is <100m through the back gate!

« Reply #21 on: 20 August, 2010, 03:24:06 pm »
Pfft. I can count 36 within a minute walk.
Basils or tents?

If it's Basils there must be a Fawlty Tower's convention in town!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #22 on: 20 August, 2010, 04:02:59 pm »
I meant pubs within a 10 minute walk.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #23 on: 20 August, 2010, 10:53:17 pm »
I have, in sunny suffolk, space in the clearing for probably a dozen tents, strange pig noises late at night, insecure bike parking, jogging RAF men very early in the mornings, a dirty house full of cake, lots of children (or their crap) and 2 rubbish pubs a quick flat ride away.
Parents however do a fine line in b&b or pitches for many tents just off NCN68 on the edge of the Northumberland National Park. Long walk to the pub from theirs, but a view of Cheviot, and woken by hens.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #24 on: 21 August, 2010, 07:48:32 am »
I have, in sunny suffolk, space in the clearing for probably a dozen tents, strange pig noises late at night, insecure bike parking, jogging RAF men very early in the mornings, a dirty house full of cake, lots of children (or their crap) and 2 rubbish pubs a quick flat ride away.
Parents however do a fine line in b&b or pitches for many tents just off NCN68 on the edge of the Northumberland National Park. Long walk to the pub from theirs, but a view of Cheviot, and woken by hens.

I'll be over later!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor